G skill memory question

Recently built a new rig with an i5, p8p67 MB, and gskill ripjaws 8 gb 1600mhz memory (2 4gb sticks)

the system has stability issues (freezes on prime95 burning, and fails mem tests) but when I enable XMP, it seems to work fine.

I tried some corsar vengeance (same specs) and it worked just fine on default settings.

Why do i need to overclock the gskills? (XMP) will this effect my ability to overclock the cpu? is this bad for the board?

Thanks.

the system has stability issues (freezes on prime95 burning, and fails mem tests) but when I enable XMP, it seems to work fine.
Did you force the ram frequency in or accept the default DDR3 1333?

will this effect my ability to overclock the cpu?

No. Since the base clock is fixed at 100 Mhz and you do multiplier overclocking on lga1155 with independent multipliers for the memory and CPU memory speed will not hold back your overclock.

is this bad for the board?

The memory controller is on the CPU so you are overclocking that. Current lga1155 processors like your i5 officially support DDR3 1333 memory max. Any memory higher than that is overclocking your memory controller on the CPU.

http://ark.intel.com/products/65647/Intel-Core-i5-2550K-Processor-(6M-Cache-3_40-GHz)

However with that said DDR3 1600 is a very easy overclock to achieve.

I tried some corsar vengeance (same specs) and it worked just fine on default settings.
You could also have a bad dimm.

Last edited:
I had similar problem when I put 2 more 4gb ripjaw in my system. It turns out that 1 of the 4gb was bad. RMAed.

Back