G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2133 for $60 shipped.

I was really excited about this but this is "overclocked" ram at 1.6v.

Damn, this is pretty tempting but I don't even max out 8GB right now.

According to this article
http://www.techspot.com/article/1043-8gb-vs-16gb-ram/page3.html
That doesn't matter much, it'll TAKE that much memory if it's available but it isn't available obviously it can't, and that doesn't seem to affect performance terribly much.

That said, I have 8GB, and am thinking of adding another 8-16 in the other two slots I have free because... why not :D DDR3 is cheap.
Your mistake there is looking at just fps numbers. The game does indeed need 12 GB or more not to hitch on Windows 10.

The exact quote from WB was “For windows 10 users, we’ve found that having at least 12GB of system RAM on a PC allows the game to operate without paging and provides a smoother gameplay experience.”

The reason why I want upgrade to 16GB ram because I can enjoy more ram !:cool:

I want try out with these.

Ramdisk YEAH !

VMware YEAH !

Video Editor YEAH !

Open lots of tab on browsers at once, Love multitask stuff, Don't you ?:p YEAH !

Remember 16GB is cheap now ! and later you going cry when the price go up.:eek:

2 cents.

The reason why I want upgrade to 16GB ram because I can enjoy more ram !:cool:

I want try out with these.

Ramdisk YEAH !

VMware YEAH !

Video Editor YEAH !

Open lots of tab on browsers at once, Love multitask stuff, Don't you ?:p YEAH !

Remember 16GB is cheap now ! and later you going cry when the price go up.:eek:

2 cents.
Lol, you are going to need way more than 16 GB to do all those things...

Your mistake there is looking at just fps numbers. The game does indeed need 12 GB or more not to hitch on Windows 10.

The exact quote from WB was “For windows 10 users, we’ve found that having at least 12GB of system RAM on a PC allows the game to operate without paging and provides a smoother gameplay experience

So it's a windows 10 issue? If you have win7 you're good to go?

Of course my Z87 Extreme4 isn't listed as supported. My motherboard does support 2133 via overclocking though.

Sorry for the nub question here, but why is this RAM not such a hot deal? I just recently picked up a very similar set. (GSkill 16GB 2133 10-12-12-31 1.6v, but it was Ripjaws X series instead of Ares)

Is using XMP to get the rated speed/timings really bad or something?

Or is the 'bad deal' part of this is that it's rated at 1.6v and running RAM at that voltage cuts down on the life of the RAM and/or leaves no room for further overclocking?

Just not sure why people are shooting this deal down, thanks.

1.5v DDR3 isn't supported with Skylake, only 1.35 DDR3L. IIRC starting with Sandy Bridge, only 1.5v +/- 5% is supported, any more and you risk frying your memory controller.

So with this ram, you'd be stuck at 1333 mhz if you want to stay in spec on any Intel platform made in the past 6 years. AMD you're fine.

Does ram speed actually affect performance all that much?
I was under the impression that it offered a very very minor, if any, improvement for most people.

Of course, this was from an article I read several years ago, so I guess a lot could have changed since that time.

It helps in some games on Haswell but not really on Sandy/Ivy. It can make a huge difference on Skylake but of course this ram is not compatible with it.

I would recommended getting the 1.5 v version of this ram though if you are paranoid about running 1.6.

1.5v DDR3 isn't supported with Skylake, only 1.35 DDR3L. IIRC starting with Sandy Bridge, only 1.5v +/- 5% is supported, any more and you risk frying your memory controller.

So with this ram, you'd be stuck at 1333 mhz if you want to stay in spec on any Intel platform made in the past 6 years. AMD you're fine.

Incorrect, you can run it at 2133 with XMP enabled. I had called g.skill just to confirm before I purchased it and they assured me it would work without issue with my 3570k/p8z77-v combo.

I had a similar question with voltages and after the responses + lots of reading, you can run Ivy Bridge processors with 1.6v. Some run 1.65v 24/7.

I was under the impression that it offered a very very minor, if any, improvement for most people.

Of course, this was from an article I read several years ago, so I guess a lot could have changed since that time.

ram speeds have a small effect on frame rates but at this price its cheaper than the 1600 stuff so why not take the extra frames? Also going with 16gb over 8gb gives you better and more consistent minimum frames. Of course this depends on your video card too.

If you happen to be using integrated video, faster ram is a definite advantage.

I find it funny that even after DDR4 is out and whatnot, there still hasn't been anything that beat the price I got on these...
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1811109

Granted it was a pricing mistake, but you'd usually expect that when technology starts getting that old, pricing mistakes become the new price... they didn't in this case, though...

Incorrect, you can run it at 2133 with XMP enabled. I had called g.skill just to confirm before I purchased it and they assured me it would work without issue with my 3570k/p8z77-v combo.

I had a similar question with voltages and after the responses + lots of reading, you can run Ivy Bridge processors with 1.6v. Some run 1.65v 24/7.

Sure, you can run at whatever voltages your motherboard allows you to, doesn't mean that you aren't risking your memory controller. Ask G.Skill if they'll replace your processor if you fry it and see how that goes because Intel isn't replacing it if you run out of spec.

Sure, you can run at whatever voltages your motherboard allows you to, doesn't mean that you aren't risking your memory controller. Ask G.Skill if they'll replace your processor if you fry it and see how that goes because Intel isn't replacing it if you run out of spec.

Stop spreading FUD...If 1.6/1.65V ram was enough to kill 2500/2600/3570/3770K CPUs then there would be tens of thousands of threads on Forums with people ranting about it and Intel "not replacing it because they run it out of spec..":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've built 25+ systems with 3570/3770Ks using ram with XMP profiles @ 1.6/1.65V and they are all going strong..Haven't a single DIMM/CPU/MB fail..Out of the ~15 4770K systems I built 1 had a dead DIMM that was found during Burn In, the others are going strong on you guessed it, 1.6V ram..

Ive been running 1.65v on my 2600k for nearly 5 years.

this only applies to DDR3L in 1151 motherboards. 1150 and 1155 have no issues with high voltage RAM.

^^ thanks guys, hopefully people didnt get scared off and actually got in on this deal

Stop spreading FUD...If 1.6/1.65V ram was enough to kill 2500/2600/3570/3770K CPUs then there would be tens of thousands of threads on Forums with people ranting about it and Intel "not replacing it because they run it out of spec..":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've built 25+ systems with 3570/3770Ks using ram with XMP profiles @ 1.6/1.65V and they are all going strong..Haven't a single DIMM/CPU/MB fail..Out of the ~15 4770K systems I built 1 had a dead DIMM that was found during Burn In, the others are going strong on you guessed it, 1.6V ram..

It's not FUD, it's Intel's specifications. If you want to run out of spec, then go for it, just know you're out of spec.

It's not like G.Skill doesn't have a 1.5v Ares kit with slightly higher timings to choose from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231755

It's not FUD, it's Intel's specifications. If you want to run out of spec, then go for it, just know you're out of spec.

It's not like G.Skill doesn't have a 1.5v Ares kit with slightly higher timings to choose from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231755

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...sheets/core-i5-processor-memory-datasheet.pdf
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...sheets/core-i7-memory-suppliers-datasheet.pdf

are you done yet?

Intels spec also says that my 2600k should be dead due to running 1.488v through it for 5 years. I have not heard of people killing memory controllers due to 1.65v RAM on SB/IB. No one has confirmed a kill BECAUSE of the 1.65v RAM. So yes, its FUD.

Intels spec also says that my 2600k should be dead due to running 1.488v through it for 5 years. I have not heard of people killing memory controllers due to 1.65v RAM on SB/IB. No one has confirmed a kill BECAUSE of the 1.65v RAM. So yes, its FUD.

Intel has been pretty clear on the specs and their recommendations, do what you want, just don't expect a warranty.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/30798?start=0&tstart=0

It's the same thing as overclocking, not officially supported and if you break something, it's on you. You can keep repeating your anecdotal evidence all you want, but it doesn't change the JEDEC standard and Intel's adherence to it.

Considering the 1.5v G.Skills are cheaper then the 1.6v ones now that the sale is over, which ones would you buy? I know I'd be buying the better binned 1.5v ones, but again, the choice is yours.

When they were on sale Id have bought (and did) the 1.6v version. Hope others did too!

Guys,

I got 16gb ram today and pop in on my pc, pc detect running 2000mhz so I changed XMP to 2133 BAM ! up running fine.

Before 8gb g.skill 8-8-8-24

6qa77m.jpg

v82z4p.jpg

After 16gb G.skill 10-12-12-31

1zg9bx3.jpg

s151et.jpg

You jealous ? :cool: jk

Pics tell you for real.

careful man, you may kill your processor!

Im still waiting for my ram cause Newegg shipping is slow as fk.

Back