FYI, Silver Arrow and AP-15's

oshia86

Gawd
Bought 3 GT AP-15's for the silver arrow. They do, in fact, cool better than the stock fans, by about 4c. I've run the three of these fans from a molex connector, so 100%.

When I first installed these, I was getting a louder whine, from the fan(s). I just thought this was just due to these fans being louder. I've been looking at fan controllers to tame this hum and haven't settled on any perfect solution for my RV02-E case.

The problem.

I started messing with the fans the other day, making sure they were on the rubber pads, turning them down with fan speed (Which, for some reason, only controls 2 of the 3 fans. I think this is a motherboard issue). Then I started unplugging the fans, to see if any one particular fan was the loudest. I had found the culprit. The middle fan. However, it did not stop spinning. I had the :confused::eek::confused: look on my face for a minute there, until I realized. The pressure from the other two fans was still spinning the center fan. AH HA! This fan was probably being driven over its rated speed due to this, and causing the louder noise.

The Fix..

I had the fans installed per the diagram below. Keep in mind that I use the RV02, and the fans blow upward. So I decided to move the center fan to the bottom tower, and see if that made a difference. Bingo, problem solved. No need for a fan controller, or extra extension cables, or to sell my precious AP-15's. I finally have a quiet system again. Woohoo!

Fan setup. --- = tower. O = fan

Before.

O
---
O

---
O

After.

O
---

O
---