FYI on HardOCP Radeon VII Review

vader_NOOOO.jpg

OUTRAGE! Why you no canned benchmarks! /S

Seriously though, don't be sorry for being honest.
Things happen in the real world (testing).
Plus you can't rush or half ass quality.
Maybe a preview to hold us over?

appreciate you letting us know and thanks for all the hard work Brent, rather it be 100% correct and late then a rush job like a lot of other reviewers do just so they can say they were first.

Don’t understand why all of you nerds are so excited about this????

It’s like you guys are just now about to get an Xbox one x, almost 2 years too late.

(That being said, I’m curious for the actual real world numbers on heat/power to see how big of a shitstorm they’ve created)

Waiting on you Kyle!

Thanks for the heads up Kyle, prefer a proper review over a rushed one any day.

I normally would wait for the (H) review, but this time I'm going to "roll the dice" and grab it the moment it goes live for sale (staying up all night playing the F5 game). Hearing a lot of talk of very limited release day stock and subsequent restock several weeks out. Based on everything we know at this moment, the Radeon VII looks to be competitive with the 2080.

Additional Factors...

* Nvidia's L..O..N..G history of terrible anti consumer / anti competitive behavior

* Widespread failure on the RTX 2070 / 2080

* Questionable support / value of Ray Tracing and DLSS over the typical 3 years I keep a card

* Nvidia's "price gouging" on the Turing (vs Pascal)

* AMD's open source practices

Fingers crossed I snag one before they sell out @ MSRP.

Don’t understand why all of you nerds are so excited about this????

It’s like you guys are just now about to get an Xbox one x, almost 2 years too late.

(That being said, I’m curious for the actual real world numbers on heat/power to see how big of a shitstorm they’ve created)

Waiting on you Kyle!

Sounds like you understand exactly. New hardware is fun. It could be a absolute turd of a card but I for damn sure want to read the editorial on how much of a turd it is.

With the pushback to next week is the full review going to include 4k performance? (I've only seen another post mentioning a focus on 1440p, so apologize if I missed something!).

Update: Found my answer in the other thread! (1440p and 4k testing)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well, considering the are a total of Zero reviews out right now, I can wait. :D

The cards are expected to sell out before anyone has the chance to read a review anyway.

So anyone who wants to read the [H] review first has to wait for a second shipment no matter what.

I can save you the trouble. It does. :D:D
In one game perhaps. Won't be able to buy one anyway, and a 2080 will be cheaper - and way quieter than the reported 40dB jet engine R7 cooler.

Scalpers will slurp up the few hundred Radeon 7's they actually do produce and then fanboys will do their part and drive streetprice beyond rational.

It seems to be shaping up to be a novelty card and perhaps collectors item more than anything.

Last edited:
I find it odd that in some games it beats the RTX2080 at 1080p but tables are reversed at 4K, I expected the opposite.

It's just a GPU.
It won't solve hunger or create world peace.
I think waiting will be just fine.

I'm interested to see if it can beat a GTX 1080 Ti and if it allows Crossfire.

I'd buy a couple at this price if so.

Thankfully, I am not currently in the position to buy a new video card, so the delay in this review will not affect me personally, and I currently have no one I am advising on computers where this price point would even be a consideration. I will eagerly await the [H] review.

Reading some of the other reviews, there have been some oddities that I wish would have been investigated further, such as some surprisingly low min frame rates in some benchmarks, while having outstandingly excellent min frame rates in others. If you throw out the Final Fantasy benchmarks (a game whose performance scores are heavily skewed towards Nvidia tech), the overall percentage difference between the VII and the 2080 are nearly negligible, so the real-world performance analysis done here is going to be extra valuable.

Wow, I had no idea this card was going to be so expensive. Not so interested. When they come out with a 250$ version, I may take a look. It has been nearly two years since any decent consumer level cards have come out. Good think Black Ops 4 has fairly low requirements.

From what I've seen so far about driver complaints probably would of ended up doing it again anyway :)

I don't know for some reason I feel like the HBM2 drove the cards price up a ton where they could have had a home run price point if they didn't opt for it.

I don't know for some reason I feel like the HBM2 drove the cards price up a ton where they could have had a home run price point if they didn't opt for it.
Then it would not have had the memory bandwidth it needed to be competitive. You can go round and round with hindsight being 20/20.
The end result is a card that is more expensive, louder and hotter than the 2080 it's trying to compete with.

It's just a GPU.
It won't solve hunger or create world peace.
I think waiting will be just fine.

I'm interested to see if it can beat a GTX 1080 Ti and if it allows Crossfire.

I'd buy a couple at this price if so.

The VEGA VII doesn't support crossfire

From Anands review

Similarly, the external Infinity Fabric links for multi-GPU support have been disabled, so the Radeon VII will only be a solo act.

Not only that, they used higher quality more expensive electrical components, doubling the cost of what Nvidia put in their 20xx series cards according to a tear down reviewer.

I have been very happy with the reported Linux performance of the Radeon VII. Sounds like under Linux at least its besting the 2080 for the most part and landing somewhere between the 2080 and 80ti. At least under Linux... sounds like under windows its as perhaps expected is just shy of 2080 for the most part. I look forward to the [H] review. As much as I'm not a windows user anymore... reviews from [H] are perhaps the best there is. The Hardocp reviews are the most trust worthy hardware reviews around. Would have loved to read all about your guys experience with the card today. But I can wait for quality.

Take your time and do it right. Not that anyone around here expects you guys would do any less. Thanks.

I have been very happy with the reported Linux performance of the Radeon VII. Sounds like under Linux at least its besting the 2080 for the most part and landing somewhere between the 2080 and 80ti. At least under Linux... sounds like under windows its as perhaps expected is just shy of 2080 for the most part. I look forward to the [H] review. As much as I'm not a windows user anymore... reviews from [H] are perhaps the best there is. The Hardocp reviews are the most trust worthy hardware reviews around. Would have loved to read all about your guys experience with the card today. But I can wait for quality.

Take your time and do it right. Not that anyone around here expects you guys would do any less. Thanks.

Phoronix showed it 12s slower per frame in Blender and they did a lot of bouncing around from driver to driver. I was ready to pull the trigger until I saw that as it implies we'll need some Fine Wine to get parity. Is GCN capable of using that 16GB or will the scenes complex enough to need it choke the card?

Thanks for the update. Got a couple of friends interested in the Radeon VII and always point people here first for reviews.

Back