FYE Wii Bait & Switch

this is tothegardentool, I love that game, still play actually. Anyhow, for all reasons like this, this is why I simply buy at wallmart. The other day I went into EBgames to pick up WindWaker b/c walmart didn't have a copy and I bought a new version. Well, the dude was trying to push me into buying a used copy and I said no, b/c the new one was only $2 more. I'll be damned when I got home and looked at the disc if it didn't have smudges and a few scratched on it. Nothing I could do at this point, b/c I had taken it home already... Why people hate walmart so much, I'll never know

darkangel74 said:
He really offers no real proof. If he had a video of the conversation then ya, that's proof. He could have been dealing with a CSA that was told to sell the bundle. True a manager could have said what he said they said but right now its their word versus his to me. If he had been a bit more informed then he would have known that Zelda and ExciteTruck are launch titles then he could have shut them down quickly. I'm really not buying the story. Seems to me its more of a OMG look at me than anything.

So he made a video posted it on youtube just to spite FYE. I guess it is OK to be a skeptic in todays world, and you shouldn't necessarily believe everything you read, but are you serious?

He was told that he needed to buy two additional games with his console. He did not have a problem with that because he had planned on buying two games anyways. They told him he could not purchase the two games he wanted because they were not "available" to purchase with the "bundle." He was told he had to buy two crappy games in order to pickup his Wii, one of which was Dragon ball Z. It wasn't that he didn't know what was available at launch, it was that FYE didn't give him the option of getting those games.

Maybe, by the time he showed up in the day to pickup his preorder they didn't have the games he wanted instock anymore. But the fact that some asshat manager decided that every Wii needed to be purchased with two games meant that he was forced to buy the crap left over that no one wanted.

He said he came in the 17th to inquire about his preorder and what the bundle would entail. This is when he was told about Zelda and Excite Truck weren't launch titles. The Wii wasn't even released yet. He states he was offered one game that he could reserve. But yet 2 games had to be purchased, it doesn't add up.

The whole thing was written like he was pissed and when someone is pissed things are perceived as something that really didn't happen. I have worked in retail and have seen customers elevate and twist what was said to try to get something they don't deserve. Customers outright lie. Not saying he was lying but no real proof was presented. I don't take someone's word as fact until I have proof. If the manager said that then he is right. One person won't make a ripple, but it still looks he was stuck on that versus the 25 bucks that he wasn't going to spend.

Aelfgeft said:
Here's the point: Many of you fools wouldn't have even bothered to read it had it been a simple text blog post. The point is that many of you are so damn lazy that unless it's a video, you don't have the patience move your eyes down the screen. YouTube is currently one of the best media outlets for delivering a message, and he took advantage of it, and you are whining about there being no car chases, explosions, or sex scenes.

The point you are missing is that a business is screwing people over, someone made a movie to let you know so you don't get screwed, and you're criticizing his presentation. Get a fucking clue. :rolleyes:

This man speaks the truth. The people flipping out over the video are most likely immature children who were expecting fuckin' Star Wars or some shit to appear and wipe their ass for them.

MrFace said:
This man speaks the truth. The people flipping out over the video are most likely immature children who were expecting fuckin' Star Wars or some shit to appear and wipe their ass for them.
Indeed, I need a video slowly show text to me, since I am an immature child. I am not even going to waste a rolleyes smiley on that remark.

I hate to quote myself so let me paraphrase:
I feel sorry for the maker of that video, since he was the victim of an undoubtedly shady and most likely illegal business practice. Since I prefer to support businesses that try to make me, the consumer, happy, I will certainly think twice about shopping about FYE. However, his presentation of his case was less than stellar. In fact, I found his presentation to be awful considering that the decided that producing a video that contained neither sound nor any other information that couldn't have easily been conveyed with text was the right thing to do.

*blah blah* I really don't care.

the Best Buy did that with the 360 last year, so I'm not at all surprised about what he's going through.

I want a wii, I'm just not all that interested in the games that are out now. Zelda, I could buy...but I'm not sure any of the other games are worth the $50 buy in, especially for a console newb (my last was the original Nintendo)

Back