Don_1

Gawd
Here's my system specs.
SN25P
FX55 clawhammer
2GB Corsair Twinx-2048C2
XFX 7900GT Extreme
WD 400GB sata
I'm drooling over the X2 cpu's and, was wondering if it's worth going for the Opteron 170 ??

M tempted like the time my mom's best friend :eek:

I used to use a 4000+ as my main processor, I now have a Opteron 165.. One step down from what you have and what you are looking at, I say it is worth it.

Well, if you aren't going to overclock, just get the Fastest CPU that you can afford. If you DO overclock, pick up a DC opty.

The FX-55 is going for $800 on the egg. I'd sell it off and try to get maybe $700 and then either supplement the money and get an FX-60 *drool* or just take the $700 and get an Opteron 180. The FX-60 will be clocked at 2.6GHz and is almost gauranteed 3GHz with good cooling, the Opteron 180 is cheaper, and will probably clock to FX-60 speeds but not as high as the FX-60. If you're not overclocking, don't waster the money on an FX since that's all they're good for.

Myself, I'd get an Opteron 175 which is $300 cheaper than the 180, and is only 200MHz less. Overclock what you can out of it and keep the cash difference.

I wouldn't waste the money on a 180 or a fx60, I'd get a opty 165 as almost all of the new batches are soaring, mines doing 2.9 on stock vcore lidless, theres a rummor going around that the later stepping 165 is actually a binned 185, so save some cash and get a sub300 dollar chip :D just my .02, btw my stepping is a ccb1e 0606vpmw that I got from monarch oem last week :cool:

my opty 170 is stable at 2.7ghz with the stock cooler, they're a real bargain

Decided to go the cheap route and ordered an Opty 165 from Monarch.
Now I just have to wait..

Don_1 said:
Decided to go the cheap route and ordered an Opty 165 from Monarch.
Now I just have to wait..

Good choice. How much u want for your FX55?

Ockie said:
Good choice. How much u want for your FX55?

Thanks, I haven't decided if I'm going to sell, or build my Kids a new system with it.

Back