FX 9590 Facts I have one

Status
Not open for further replies.
its not that they get a bad rep, its just they use more power and have lower gaming performance/ single thread performance compared to their Intel counter parts. It doesn't mean they lack the performance to run things adequately.

I've been quite happy with my 8320. For me it all started when I had a thuban 1055T@4ghz and a older 790gx board at the time. New AM3+ boards launched before Bulldozer was released. I figured I would upgrade my motherboard to take advantage of sata 6gbps, ddr3 etc. With the notion I would be able to "upgrade to the bulldozer chip". Well Bulldozer came out wasn't very impressed with the performance but I did end up replacing my 1055T with a 8120 and managed to clock it to 4.9ghz. Most areas performance went up by a good bit, but only because I managed a good overclock. The Pile driver cpus were released, so I sold my 8120 and upgraded to the 8320. Much better overall and again I got lucky and was able to 5ghz. I'm happy with its performance right now, and there hasn't really been any let downs on that front.

If I didn't buy the new motherboard before bulldozer was released I would be rocking a I7-2600k right now. Such is life. I'm not looking to upgrade at the moment. Will probably wait to see what Intel and AMD come out with in 2016. I'm not gonna get suckered by hypes or early release motherboards :D I will always go for best performance for the price.

My first impression going from a 965 to the 8350 wast the enormous amount of heat. I wasn't quite so lucky and my first chip was a power hog. Nicknamed it my little piggy actually, 4.64G with 1.476v. I have both Intel and AMD at home but my daily machine is the 8320 I spoke of in the last post. I wouldn't likely have the Intels at all if I wasn't a bencher.

Yeah, I've been bored and thinking about upgrading mostly for a newer board and for something different, say all they want about crappy single core perf(which I don't doubt) this old thing chews through whatever I can find to throw at it beautifully still. Funny it's almost gotten better as time has gone on, Windows 8 flys on this thing, more games start to use more cores, etc. Things are so different than they used to be with yearly CPU upgrades and a new GPU every six months to be able to play even fairly new games.

Unless you're switching to Intel you'd probably be further ahead to wait it out. The next gen of AMD will certainly need a new socket if it has the IGPU like has been rumoured. So any AM3+ board would likely be obsolete

Bought Crysis3 and Dead Space 3 cheap over the holiday, finally got around to running em.
9590, crossfire 280x, kicked ass at 1080p. I think the Gaming Evolved app set them both to "very high" but I only glanced at the graphics settings. Pretty cool for an old chip.

Didn't check DS3 but Crysis was actually making four or six cores work for a living, very cool.

Pretty sure DS3 only pegs 2 cores. It's not a very graphically intensive game by today's standards

I don't think I checked DS3, I remember playing 1 and 2 on my old 955BE with a lot less video card and they ran well there. Beautiful games for as light on hardware as they are. It's interesting that some games can be so good looking with such relatively light hardware requirements. I assume there are good programing reasons behind it. I'm not a programer in any capacity but I've seen more than a few games that were brutal on hardware with seemingly little gain in visuals/experience, at least to a layman's eye.

Unless you're switching to Intel you'd probably be further ahead to wait it out. The next gen of AMD will certainly need a new socket if it has the IGPU like has been rumoured. So any AM3+ board would likely be obsolete

Yeah was looking at at least an i7-4790k at a minimum to be faster-enough to be even remotely worth bothering over my 9590. Still too expensive I think unless I can pull a really good resale on the AMD stuff. The ddr4 intel stuff is the logical way to go upgrading for longest lifespan but it's just way too expensive.

I have no idea what AMD is up to or going to be up to, haven't heard anything promising from a desktop full on performance standpoint but who knows. Hell the AM3+ is obsolete now lol.
If I could magically put a modern Intel board with lots of native USB3 and M.2/PCIe ports under my 9590 I'd be set for a long while. But no.

I have a 4790 and a 4770 and personally when you really get down to the brass tack I don't feel they're that much more expensive than the FX. You don't need a highend board or cooling for that matter unless you really want to push them cause they do get hot, probably just as hot as the FX but at stock they still would have better performance in most everything. Even on a cheap board. I'd stay away from DDR4 till the performance picks up a bit. Still too new IMO

No small part of it is if I'm going to upgrade, it's going to be UP grade. No cheap board, no non-K cpu.
I may or may not bother overclocking but I'd want the option. I've got a Noctua D15 on the 9590, 16gb of cas7 gskill that probably isn't doing an AMD chipset much good, an HX1000i in a Silverstone FT02 and a few other goodies. I just can't do low budget, it's a quality over quantity(speed) thing. Upgrades are a real rabbit hole, I went through two boards, two cases, three PSU's and four GPU's till I found a setup I was happy with. It is exquisite as it sits though. Still some room for drive improvement, Windows is on a 500gb 840 EVO, a 500gb MX100 for fast programs, a 1tb Velociraptor for games and a 3tb 7200.14 for big storage. It's been long enough now I could upgrade all those a bit. Not a lot of tangible gain but feel-good stuff.

I do understand what your laying down. I don't go for cheap stuff either but then again I need to have the goodies sometimes. That's a sweet sounding set-up you have there ramses, the only thing you left out was what GFX card you're actually using now that you have it sorted. I too get the upgrade bug, I probably spend too much on this stuff but what she don't know ..... ha ha You seem pretty set, I really couldn't see what you might upgrade TBH but there's always something that catches the eye isn't there?

Just curious as to how the D15 does with the 9590? I have a poster in my home forum waiting on a mobo with the D14 and a 9590. Do you OC it at all or just run it like AMD intended?

I forgot I had a D14 and got a D15 when it came out, for no good reason.
Both great coolers, I OC'd my 1090T and 8350 a bit with the D14 and while it's too long
ago to remember specifics, they were easily handled by the D14 and it performed better
than the Antec 620 AIW I had briefly before it. I haven't done a thing to the 9590 honestly, everything I read said it wasn't much of a clocker so I didn't bother, but the D15 handles it fine. I might worry if I had really high load and ambient was over 85F but less than that with good case air movement, no worries.
The more I think of it the more parts I have had in this box before I was happy with it.
I haven't found anything better than Noctua fans/coolers. I'm sure there is as good for
less money, but i haven't seen anything better for any price (within reason).
I had eight or ten Noctua PWM 120mm fans in my previous case before I saw
the light and got the FT02.

I ended up with a pair of HIS 280X cards that I got used for like $300 awhile back. I can't find anything better still for the money, I've been blessed with very few problems out of crossfire.
I had a HIS 7850 that I really liked, had the big beefed up blower style cooler that I really,
really like as it removed heat from the case. Went to a pair of reference style 7950's (I think) that were good cards but LOUD. Tried to find a reasonably price pair of HIS blower style cards for xfire, never did, ended up with these 280x's. They are the dual fan style, but the heatsink fins are the right orientation for the FT02 and thus far haven't made more heat than the large bottom fans can remove, and they are quiet.
Not quite ideal in form but the function is excellent.

So yeah, OCD. If a fan comes out with a demonstrably better bearing or something, it will bug me till I have one if it's at least somewhat financially reasonable. But I'm ok with the lower performance of the AMD chip VS an Intel one, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for the info Ramses,I was mostly curious. I've heard lots of good about the noctua coolers. Never had one myself but might if I found a good price.
The FT02 looks like a monstrous case and it sounds as if you really like it. Now that I've went to the full ATX boxes I doubt I could ever go back. There's just so much more room to work with and they really do help with cooling. Nice snag on the 280 BTW, don't get deals like that very often.
I'm a bit on the overkill side myself so I get it. Heck my HTPC is and 8320 @ 4.8 and 2x770s with my Sabertooth. Doesn't make netflix any better but it does double as my gamer. Since I started benching, I couldn't keep a system up long enough to play so that was my solution. I have a nice little 5350 AM1 setup that I really should be using for surfing/TV just to save on power but I can't help myself. Ha ha

Because this is an FX thread, I figured I would post this here: I have a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro with a push pull fan configuration. I have a Noctua NH-D15 incoming which I will probably replace the Thermaltake unit with. Good idea?

I figure it will be a lot quieter but will it also be cooler? I am looking at this in overclocked and non overclocked configuration. FX 8350 on a Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 board in a Fractal Design r3 case.

I have that exact same cooler but never had experience with the noctua. I think it works OK, that' what I'm using with the 8320. From what I've seen the OC range is usually pretty close comparing top end Air to AIO and noctua tends to be quiet from what I gather. This is just me speculating mind you but I think less noise ~same cooling.

I have that exact same cooler but never had experience with the noctua. I think it works OK, that' what I'm using with the 8320. From what I've seen the OC range is usually pretty close comparing top end Air to AIO and noctua tends to be quiet from what I gather. This is just me speculating mind you but I think less noise ~same cooling.

Yeah, I will probably go ahead and just put the Noctua in then. I only have 2 choices with the Thermaltake, not overclocked and quiet or overclocked and jet on runway taking off. :D

Yeah, I'd expect the NT to be about the same temp, but quieter.

I doubt it, you can cheat the fan up some at worst, or move them to the other side as pullers if need by.
Google shows a bunch of pics with the D14/15 in that case. I think my heat spreaders are a hair taller than yours and it worked out ok.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That ram doesn't look too tall at all, I've seen a lot worse. G/L with the install :D

Arrgghhhhh! Now I want to go home and get it installed. :D Heck, I work on computers all day long and help folks out with them. (Love to do this stuff.)

Arrgghhhhh! Now I want to go home and get it installed. :D Heck, I work on computers all day long and help folks out with them. (Love to do this stuff.)
I wish I had your job. I sit at a computer and do ISO crap all day. Talk about lame !

Just wondering about this setting I just added below:
CPU / NB Freq. set at 2450

Existing settings below:

CPU voltage set to: Auto
HT Link Freq set at: 2450 Hz
NB HT Voltage set at: 1.25 volts
CPU Load Calibration: High

Running Better when I Boosted the CPU / NB Freq to 2450
cpu Temp -50c
All my Temp monitoring shut down is set to 70

Still have not installed it or opened the box yet. Unsure about it so I may not keep it.

The Noctua? There are (a few) cheaper air coolers that do as well, but there are no meaningfully better air coolers.

You are right about the Noctua air cooler. However, the primary reason I bought it is because I thought my Water 2.0 Pro might be going bad. Turns out I had not left LLC on auto so things were getting hotter than I expected. By the time I realized it, it was to late to cancel the order. However, Newegg did say they would give me a full refund if I do not open it and they will provide a return tag.

However, if I would see a big difference between the Water 2.0 Pro and the NH-D15, I would do it for sure. I just do not like spending money unless I have to or I if I would see a big difference.

You are right about the Noctua air cooler. However, the primary reason I bought it is because I thought my Water 2.0 Pro might be going bad. Turns out I had not left LLC on auto so things were getting hotter than I expected. By the time I realized it, it was to late to cancel the order. However, Newegg did say they would give me a full refund if I do not open it and they will provide a return tag.

However, if I would see a big difference between the Water 2.0 Pro and the NH-D15, I would do it for sure. I just do not like spending money unless I have to or I if I would see a big difference.

Don't blame you on the money. I'd expect them to cool pretty near each other depending on your case airflow, with the Noctua being quieter. And better cooling of the VRM's and such on the board from some turbulence from the fans.

Just wondering about this setting I just added below:
CPU / NB Freq. set at 2450

Existing settings below:

CPU voltage set to: Auto
HT Link Freq set at: 2450 Hz
NB HT Voltage set at: 1.25 volts
CPU Load Calibration: High

Running Better when I Boosted the CPU / NB Freq to 2450
cpu Temp -50c
All my Temp monitoring shut down is set to 70

Ya Eagle the CPU_NB will increase the systems performance. It'lll also take more voltage the higher you go. Just try to keep it and the HT around the same speed.

I have a possibly stupid question, what is the official fastest supported memory for the 9590 and does it differ from the slower chips for some reason?

I'm seeing 1866 on AMD's page and 2133 on Wikipedia (yeah yeah I know)

officially I think it was 1866. The highest I have seen for 8350 was ~2500, seems 2400 was more attainable.

Not sure why some are advising HT=CPU-NB. Many in the >5.2Ghz run with HT=3000 (multi-GPU helpful) and CPU-NB~2700 (hard to stabilize above 2700). I have noticed much snappier and efficient USE with My CPU-NB When over 2500.

I have a possibly stupid question, what is the official fastest supported memory for the 9590 and does it differ from the slower chips for some reason?

I'm seeing 1866 on AMD's page and 2133 on Wikipedia (yeah yeah I know)

Yes officially it's 1866 but it all comes down to the choice of motherboard and the actual CPU. Some are just better than others. My buddies won't run 1866 without 1.35v for the CPU_NB others can run 2400 without issue.

officially I think it was 1866. The highest I have seen for 8350 was ~2500, seems 2400 was more attainable.

Not sure why some are advising HT=CPU-NB. Many in the >5.2Ghz run with HT=3000 (multi-GPU helpful) and CPU-NB~2700 (hard to stabilize above 2700). I have noticed much snappier and efficient USE with My CPU-NB When over 2500.

This comes from early testing with Bulldozer http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ormance-Scaling-Charts-max-OCs)LN2-Results-co
Each system is different but for the average user a 2600 NB and 2600 HT would work just fine. Plus the added benefit of the higher NB speed.

These machines are looking great! :D Well, since by birthday is on the 20th of this month, I went ahead and kept the Noctua NH-D15 for a birthday gift to myself. :D It is not as large as I would have thought and seems to take up less space than the Water 2.0 Pro.

Ok, question time: The second fan is raised a bit and interferes with the side of my case. (Define r3) It will close but the side of the case pushes up against it. I was thinking that if I place the fans in a pull configuration instead of the default push, will it still work correctly? Also, I am going to take one of the front fans and install it on the back. That way, I will have one intake on the bottom, one intake on the front, one outtake on the top and one outtake on the back.

These machines are looking great! :D Well, since by birthday is on the 20th of this month, I went ahead and kept the Noctua NH-D15 for a birthday gift to myself. :D It is not as large as I would have thought and seems to take up less space than the Water 2.0 Pro.

Ok, question time: The second fan is raised a bit and interferes with the side of my case. (Define r3) It will close but the side of the case pushes up against it. I was thinking that if I place the fans in a pull configuration instead of the default push, will it still work correctly? Also, I am going to take one of the front fans and install it on the back. That way, I will have one intake on the bottom, one intake on the front, one outtake on the top and one outtake on the back.

That shouldn't affect the cooler too much but the fan would still be in that same spot wouldn't it? Just reversed? Why not just add another fan to the case, where cooling is concerned I've always had the more is better kind of attitude.

because it already runs at 5ghz. :)

Yep under the IHS they're all the same.

Don't blame you on the money. I'd expect them to cool pretty near each other depending on your case airflow, with the Noctua being quieter. And better cooling of the VRM's and such on the board from some turbulence from the fans.

Well, I went ahead and kept the the D15 not really knowing what to expect. It was easy to install but, I had to move the fans to the left sides of the heatsink instead of the right. (Same air flow direction but the ram caused the right fan to stick up to high and my case would not close.)

Well, the overclocking at 1.45v and 75% LLC and 4.6GHz speed has 10C lower temps that the Water 2.0 Pro gave me. However, that is as high as the cpu will let me take it. Even at 4.7GHz and 1.475, the machine would lock up using IBT AVX. Either the cpu or the board is limited to 4.6Ghz but, I am not going to change either just to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back