build:

Phenom 955 @ 3.9ghz
Corsair H60 w/ GT 1850rpm push/pull
Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3
Samsung Green 2x4gb VLP
HD 7770
ocz agility 3 120gb
ocz coreXstream 500w

i think im going to upgrade the cpu & psu, POSSIBLY the gpu too, but that is not a priority at the moment

my needs are gaming (online battlefield 3/4) & video editing and rendering in Sony Vegas

as soon as i get the cpu i will overclock

my question is, as my motherboard isnt the best (although i have managed a 3.9ghz oc @ 1.5v [c3 stepping]), would it benefit me to get the top of the range FX-8350? i would be hoping for a 4.6ghz overclock.. or as fast as possible.. would either of these, on my motherboard, overclock to the same speed??

Theoretically, it might help you only because AMD manages to keep the 8350 speeds in the same TDP window as the 8320 speed. Since that board isn't exactly a powerhouse board, it might come in handy. I'd look at getting a cheapish 970 based board if you're looking to OC though.

Bang for the buck though, that board does look decent. Not much else in that price range with heatspreaders on the mosfets.

I don't believe the vrm's will be enough for the new 8 cores. You should use a board with 8+2 vrms. It does have a vrm heat spreader so you may get a smaller overclock. You could also look at the fx 6300 which won't draw as much power and may be able to get pushed further.

I have the [email protected] and my cpu will start to throttle at 65* due to the vrm temps.

I don't believe the vrm's will be enough for the new 8 cores. You should use a board with 8+2 vrms. It does have a vrm heat spreader so you may get a smaller overclock. You could also look at the fx 6300 which won't draw as much power and may be able to get pushed further.

I have the [email protected] and my cpu will start to throttle at 65* due to the vrm temps.

I second the FX 6300 idea.
If you can't afford to get a new board, drop down some money on the 6 core because it should be easier to work with.
Unless you can get a used FX-83XX with a better board for a decent price.
(And thats if you don't mind getting some 2nd hand hardware)

I second the FX 6300 idea.
If you can't afford to get a new board, drop down some money on the 6 core because it should be easier to work with.
Unless you can get a used FX-83XX with a better board for a decent price.
(And thats if you don't mind getting some 2nd hand hardware)

wouldnt an FX-8350 at stock be better than an overclocked 6300? or even a slightly oc'd 8350 vs 'heavily' oc'd 6300? my needs are for gaming (online battlefield 3 multiplayer), and video rendering in sony vegas

I think the main point behind the 6300 recommendation would be the lower TDP being easier on your current motherboard.

Not truly sure about the comparison.
With gaming in vid rendering though, the 6300 is a good median.
Games don't use more than 4 cores and the 6300s performance should be great for video rendering.
If you do want that extra "OOMPH" in power, then by all means go with an 8350, just be sure to get a better board is all

That board was designed to handle a 125W CPU. It's an upgraded version of the old one that only took 95W CPU's. I think it would handle a stock 8350 fine.

Not truly sure about the comparison.
With gaming in vid rendering though, the 6300 is a good median.
Games don't use more than 4 cores and the 6300s performance should be great for video rendering.
If you do want that extra "OOMPH" in power, then by all means go with an 8350, just be sure to get a better board is all

Actually, there's plenty of games that use more than 4 cores. Depending on the game, the performance differences can range from small to a decent bump up.

Op, your current motherboard should be able to handle an fx-8350 perfectly fine, as long as you either run it at stock or with a light oc. Too bad there isn't any decent m-atx, mini-atx am3+ mobo's.

I took my stock CPU fan w/o the heatsink and mounted over the VRM. Temps dropped by over 20c.

Actually, there's plenty of games that use more than 4 cores. Depending on the game, the performance differences can range from small to a decent bump up.

Op, your current motherboard should be able to handle an fx-8350 perfectly fine, as long as you either run it at stock or with a light oc. Too bad there isn't any decent m-atx, mini-atx am3+ mobo's.

Too right :(

Another question, and maybe not something i should ask in an amd forum, but i see you hav an i7-3770k.. would my psu be compatible? I ask because a haswell upgrade is off the cards, as the psu doesnt support the new sleep states, however an ivy i7 might be an option if i can save money and keep current psu!!

Too right :(

Another question, and maybe not something i should ask in an amd forum, but i see you hav an i7-3770k.. would my psu be compatible? I ask because a haswell upgrade is off the cards, as the psu doesnt support the new sleep states, however an ivy i7 might be an option if i can save money and keep current psu!!

Psu would be fine, if you were to go that route.

That's a really good idea. I currently have an antec spot fan blowing upwards(basically sitting on VGA and blowing up towards top of case) due to clearance issues. Ill have to try ur solution out

I'm interested in the FX 6300, 6350, 8320 or 8350 myself. I've just moved from a Biostar TA890GXE to an A880GZ for AM3+ future proofing. Currently I'm at 4.0GHz with a Phenom II x4 960T but unsure of which way to go seeing as it's a budget board so VRM issues will be present I suspect! Any recommendations?

I'm interested in the FX 6300, 6350, 8320 or 8350 myself. I've just moved from a Biostar TA890GXE to an A880GZ for AM3+ future proofing. Currently I'm at 4.0GHz with a Phenom II x4 960T but unsure of which way to go seeing as it's a budget board so VRM issues will be present I suspect! Any recommendations?

FX-4300. It is a complete miracle that you have gotten a 960T up to 4.0 ghz on that board considering there are no vrm heatsinks.

I'm not going NEAR that CPU and I don't think there's anything miraculous about a 25% overclock from a 95W CPU in a 125W rated board!

I think that if you're not going to upgrade to an Intel platform, it's probably not worth it to upgrade, at all. To be honest, your PII 955 at 3.9GHz is still a pretty capable CPU. Are you running into problems with something you're doing that cause you to want to upgrade?

IMO, unless video editing takes up the vast majority of the time you spend on the computer (and if your current CPU is too slow for it), I'd recommend just putting all of your budget towards a new GPU. If you crank the settings sufficiently high, you'll just be running into GPU bottlenecks with your current CPU.

yeah that 7770 is going to be your limitation long before that cpu is. get a 7950 with a 8320 or 8350 or just stick with the cpu that you have.

FX-4300. It is a complete miracle that you have gotten a 960T up to 4.0 ghz on that board considering there are no vrm heatsinks.
4300 is not a choice at this point going forward. in many games it is already well behind the 6350 never mind the 8350.

thing is i play a lot of online battlefield, which is known to be very cpu intensive! would a 660ti/760 be a better option?

With my similar CPU and graphics card in my sig I run BF3 al high with silky smooth framerate. I'd upgrade your graphics card to AT LEAST a HD 7850 as I had to move from a HIS HD 6870 Turbo to get decent framerates!

With my similar CPU and graphics card in my sig I run BF3 al high with silky smooth framerate. I'd upgrade your graphics card to AT LEAST a HD 7850 as I had to move from a HIS HD 6870 Turbo to get decent framerates!

what would you recommend for the nvidia equivalent?? i really want nvidia shadow play!!

Back