fx-6350 or 8350

Broons

Weaksauce
Ok I'm kind of stuck here. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a cpu and I just can't make a decision on these 2. Is the 8350 worth the extra $50? I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on the 6350 as far as benches and whatnot. Need some educated advice. I"m leaning toward the 6350 just because 50 bucks is 50 bucks lol. But if the general consensus is the 8350 is that much better I could justify the extra 50.

I suppose I should mention this is primarily a gaming pc.

6350 is a better gaming CPU. it has a faster base clock, and that translates to a faster overall gaming experience. The extra two threads don't really add to the gaming performance, some exceptions apply.

6350 is a better gaming CPU. it has a faster base clock, and that translates to a faster overall gaming experience. The extra two threads don't really add to the gaming performance, some exceptions apply.
6350 is NOT the better gaming cpu. there is not single case where the 6350 is faster than the 8350. and the 6350 does not have higher base clock either.

OP go 8320 and oc it if you want AMD.

Well I went with the 8320. Hopefully it oc's well with an nh-d14. First new build in 5 years. Can finally retire my old e8500. Thanks for the advice it was a tough choice.

Well I went with the 8320. Hopefully it oc's well with an nh-d14. First new build in 5 years. Can finally retire my old e8500. Thanks for the advice it was a tough choice.

I think you'll enjoy it. Provided you do well in the silicone lottery and get a good overclocking chip, you've definitely got the cooling muscle. Even if you don't, I will be shocked if you couldn't get at least 4.5 out of it and that along with a HT Link bump will make for a very nice upgrade for you.

People suggest the 6350 because it has a higher overclocking potential mostly due to thermal control above 5ghz.

But the average over clock on an 8320/8350 is 4.6ghz and that will make it competitive with the 3570k in a lot of situations.

I have my 8320 at 4.52 but can run it at 4.6 or 4.7. Cpu cooler is the big difference maker for these as they create a lot of heat and my motherboard throttles around 64*c

The higher stock clock was the reason I was considering the 6350. Plus the price. Got a good deal on amazon though for the 8320. Ill be pretty happy if I hit 4.4 really

So here will be my updated rig: My gf was pretty hesitant on jumping aboard so I tried to get the best components I could without breaking the bank.

Asus M5A99FX pro r2.0
8gb g.skill ares 1866
Corsair ax850
Wd 1tb 64mb cache hdd
Noctua nh-d14
Gpu pending until July. Until then still stuck with the ol 260
Fractal design arc midi r2
Possible ssd in the future for boot drive

8320 was the better choice over the 6350. Your nh-d14 should have no issues cooling down that bad boy :).

In the same boat a week or so ago. I ended up buying the 6350 and a cheap coolermaster EVO 2 hsf (I think thats what it is called) So far I'm stable @4.7ghz haven't hit a wall yet but I kinda stuck with it for now since the weekend is over. The extra cash let me step up the cash on a hd7870 vortex 2. I also probably wouldn't have had enough to get the 16gb kit or ram I wanted if I spent the extra on the 8350. Anyway thats just my 2 cents. If cash flow allows for it I may sell the 6350 down the road and get the 8350, but it's nice knowing I got lucky with a good clocker.

I got the 8320 at Micro Center for $149 a bit over a week ago. Pretty happy with it. Running it at 4.0 on the stock cooler with Ceramique 2. It's pretty happy unless I run Prime 95, then it shoots up to 65c in about 1 min. Under normal gaming (BioShock Infinite), it doesn't even kick the fan up.

I got the 8320 at Micro Center for $149 a bit over a week ago. Pretty happy with it. Running it at 4.0 on the stock cooler with Ceramique 2. It's pretty happy unless I run Prime 95, then it shoots up to 65c in about 1 min. Under normal gaming (BioShock Infinite), it doesn't even kick the fan up.
4.0 with 4.2 turbo is the stock frequency

get a decent cooler for 30 bucks or a little more and you'll be golden, probably even at a higher clock speed :)

Got everything but my ram and psu which should come today. Hot damn that nh-d14 is huge. Like laughably so. Funny thing is of course newegg put the 8350 on sale for 179.99 less than a week after I bought the 8320. Oh well thems the breaks I guess. The 8320 should hold me over until steamroller, which from every indication I've read should still be am3+. So long as I hit 4.4-4.5 on this ill be happy.

Anyone know how piledriver performs with windows 8 vs. 7? I got 8 for free so thinking of giving it a try. I know there were a couple hotfixes for 7 that had pretty mixed results.

One final question, for TIM, any noticeable difference between noctuas paste that came with the d14 vs. Prolimatech pro Pk-3?

Noctua makes pretty good stuff and there won't be much difference so I'd stick to the pre-applied.

Nobified[H];1039896597 said:
What you doing with your E8500? ;)

Lol, already sold it to my buddy sorry man. I could get it to 4.0 on air with just a minor bump in voltage, usually left it at 3.8 though. Never tried to push it further. Was/is a great cpu, Im just ready to move on.

I've been running my FX8350 since Christmas on Win 8, no problems. I also first installed it into the M5a99FX Pro R2.0 and no issues then either with the OS. You'll find that the 8core CPU can really heat up the VRM section on that MOBO.

I've been running my FX8350 since Christmas on Win 8, no problems. I also first installed it into the M5a99FX Pro R2.0 and no issues then either with the OS. You'll find that the 8core CPU can really heat up the VRM section on that MOBO.

what was your previous setup? your htpc?

@ itsthinking
Ya it's the HTPC but I had one of the 580's in it then. I tried the FX in the M5A but the socket heat was worrying me, so I got the Sabretooth , that helped alot!
My HTPC was an M3N HT Deluxe and a Phenom 9850 before.

You'll find that the 8core CPU can really heat up the VRM section on that MOBO.

You can say that again! Today out of curiocity i used my Scythe IR thermometer to pick temperatures around the case while video encoding with my undervolted (1.23v) 1090T. Air temperature in the room about 24C. Socket temperature reported by software was 48C. CPU cooler on its top was about 33C. Heatsink of the GPU was about 35C. The mofset area, to my best ability (hard to put my hand between the heatsink and the rear fan, so i had to measure from some cm away from the mofset heatsink), was 55C. This in an undervolted 6 core and a very cool, passive, low end GPU.

With overclocked Piledriver and the crazy dual GPUs that you people run here, who knows what your temperatures are...

Not exactly what I wanted to hear...

I just got everything put together amd win8 installed so I haven't messed with any ocing yet. The noctua was kind of a pain in the ass to install. On first startup bios reported cpu temp 34 C. I may reseat it I think I can get it better. I may get another 140 fan and put on top as intake to blow fresh air down, might help the vrms out if they get hot. I have just enough room to get one over the heatsink.

With the M5A I got a decent OC of 4.5 but that was max and took some extra cooling. If you have a cutout behind your mobo, I mounted a 50mil chipset fan back there and dropped the temps about 10°.
Also the sensors for the AMD chips aren't too accurate till you get over 45°c but the extra fan can't hurt. I'm also using an AIO cooler which doesn't help the airflow in the socket area. There's virtually none.

@ itsthinking
Ya it's the HTPC but I had one of the 580's in it then. I tried the FX in the M5A but the socket heat was worrying me, so I got the Sabretooth , that helped alot!
My HTPC was an M3N HT Deluxe and a Phenom 9850 before.

Nice. How much of a performance increase do you feel like you got from the phenom II to the fx? I skipped a lot of chips so I'm curious.

That's a relative question. In Gaming there really wasn't a huge difference( don't know if it would have bottle necked my second 580 cause I didn't have it then) But my Blu ray and video there was a huge difference. Recoding a 17Gb file went from an hour to about 35 minutes!
All around I'm very happy with this chip. ;)

Just a small update on my 8320. Currently, I have it at 4.4 on stock voltage (just bumping multi to 22). Package temp during prime95 small fft hits 46.7 while it8721f hits about 56. I ended up cutting out a hole in the case behind the mobo and sticking a 92mm fan blowing onto the back of the vrm/socket and putting a 140 on top as exhaust. Before doing this, it8721f temp was hitting 65 at 4.1 during prime. Pretty sure ill be able to hit 4.6 with just a tick up in voltage.

FX8350 is at $179
And the
FX8320 is at $149

Locally here though u have to pay tax so add about 8-9%

But 8320 or 8350 seem to be both better than the 6350... I opted for the 6300 due to budget.

Hope u are happy with the 8320 =) let us know how well it works.

Just a small update on my 8320. Currently, I have it at 4.4 on stock voltage (just bumping multi to 22). Package temp during prime95 small fft hits 46.7 while it8721f hits about 56. I ended up cutting out a hole in the case behind the mobo and sticking a 92mm fan blowing onto the back of the vrm/socket and putting a 140 on top as exhaust. Before doing this, it8721f temp was hitting 65 at 4.1 during prime. Pretty sure ill be able to hit 4.6 with just a tick up in voltage.

Way to go. That fan trick really helps doesn't it. If you really want it stable use the blend test. These FX's have finicky IMC's

Back