'Future city' to be Built in Canada by Alphabet company

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Sidewalk Labs, owned by the parent company of Google, Alphabet, is going to build a digital city in Toronto. They plan to turn the waterfront area into a working laboratory for a range of "smart" technologies. Sounds interesting, but you have to wonder if it's a good idea to continue putting potential surveillance devices everywhere we live, shop, or work. Privacy is becoming a very limited word/reality if you ask me.

Sidewalk Labs has already started smart projects in other cities. It plans to provide fast wi-fi across New York, using old payphones. But its goal has always been to build a smart city from the ground up. The Quayside area in Toronto - some 800 acres (3.2 sq km) in total - is one of the largest underdeveloped urban areas in North America.

Let's just build a company city.... sounds like the beginning of zombies or ai killer robots to me.

Or the way of the future cities and towns being owned by corporations

Yeah that's always the problem of making a "city of the future" is there's so many people in it and you can't actually do everything so it all stays the same. I mean I almost got ran over by a wagon the other day when I left the saloon, luckily I managed to dive behind the horse trough and not get killed!

PREDICTION: "Smart " cities as the city of the future, will eventually give way to the "private" city. What the future looks like is a reflection of what we value today and, right now, we value the ability to find and learn anything. As the values of mindfulness and being disconnected rise, the future will be cities built to support this on scale.

im sure all the ads everywhere will be specific to you as the billboards and such will all know its you as you walk by with your phone...

the "city" will probably know more about you then you

hahaha

im sure all the ads everywhere will be specific to you as the billboards and such will all know its you as you walk by with your phone...

the "city" will probably know more about you then you

hahaha
Reminds me of that short movie Plurality

"Google is more than a business. Google is a belief system."
-Google Chairman Eric Schmidt

"I actually think most people don't want Google to answer their questions. They want Google to tell them what they should be doing next."
-Google Chairman Eric Schmidt

Sounds about right.

Let's just build a company city.... sounds like the beginning of zombies or ai killer robots to me.

Or the way of the future cities and towns being owned by corporations
ROBOCOP_DELTA_CITY_POSTER-Poster-Mock-NA.jpg

Yeah exactly

If a big company like OCP is doing it what could go wrong :D

Man I was immediately reminded of the ye ol Robocop movies

I hope they can get some guard robots who can't hear the gun drop, have trouble with stairs and using an oversized caliber as well :ROFLMAO:

I can actually see this waterfront location from the top of my condo.

It's going to be interesting.

Back