Future 38" IPS panel 98% DCI P3 144Hz HDR 600

Anemone

Gawd
I figure this panel will generate a fair amount of interest in this forum. Since I found no one else having started the thread I'll begin one.

Expected around Mar of 2019 (remember panels are not always on time)
HDR 600
Nano IPS, KSF doped LED BL
3840x1600
144Hz
37.5" (commonly referred to as 38" models)
Panel number LM375QW2
Probably 8bit+FRC

I'd expect the usual gamut of participants like Dell, Asus, Acer, LG and others

I figure this panel will generate a fair amount of interest in this forum. Since I found no one else having started the thread I'll begin one.

HDR 600
3840x1600
144Hz
Panel number LM375QW2
Probably 8bit+FRC

HDR 600 requires 10-bit according to TFTCentral

Yeah I thought the good TV's were 10 bit panels, but maybe 12 bit does "real" HDR?
Currently, the HDR10 and HDR10+, as well as most other HDR standards, are designed around 10bit color. To my knowledge, only Dolby Vision supports 12 bit color, but most displays capable of Dolby Vision are still using 10bit panels. Additionally, there is currently no support for Dolby Vision on PC, so a 12bit monitor would just be bragging rights at this point, and not really beneficial for HDR usage.

I don't see them name HDR. I suspect this is just like their 34" gsync nano IPS and only DP 1.2 (using the older gsync controller) and non HDR. However if I'm wrong I'll be very happy, because I want 1.4 and HDR capable gsync even if it costs more with this display resolution.

I also wonder if Dell or other panel partners will announce models with this panel.

If AMD would come out with a decent video card to drive 3840x1440 I’d probably buy the Freesync version and switch back to red team. 75Hz or 144hz doesn’t matter much to me. I can barely tell the difference with the variable frame rate sync tech engaged, however I can absolutely tell when the sync tech isn’t working right.

It might be considered impossible to some, but I do believe I liked Freesync on my HP Omen 32” monitor powered by a Fury X more than Gsync on my Alienware AW3418DW powered by a 1080ti specific to the Variable Refresh Rate technology — Freesync vs Gsysc. That is until Vega launch where Freesync just flat didn’t work for the first couple months for the early Vega adopters(me). Prior to Vega, Freesync just worked and frankly I’ve had more problems with GSync.

Now the Alienware is a better monitor than the Omen and the 1080ti is a better/faster card than the Fury X. —- but frankly I just have weird stuff happening all the time with Gsync and lately I feel like I’m battling it as much as enjoying it. I haven’t been able to identify the problems.

Games that have trouble with gsync on my system currently.
Newest couple iterations of Hunt Showdown? It doesn’t seem as smooth as it used to at the same 60FPS average. It feels a bit clunky like Gsync isn’t working.

Path of Exile - rarely works with Gsync. Lots of sync weirdness and pauses and skips. If I turn off Gsync it works fine

Counterstrike PubG mod or whatever in CS Go. I’m getting like 110fps and then I’m getting 20FPS. - yes 20 FPS on CS-GO with a 1080TI and a 6850k overclocked. That’s AMD launch Vega driver dumbness right there.

My other games I’m playing right now are working (GTAV, Shadow of Mordor, Northguard, Kingdom Rush Orgins, Vermintide 2,) so it’s not a universal problem. But I’m getting increasingly annoyed by expensive tech that doesn’t work right consistently.

Last edited:
That 38" G-Sync monitor might be just the ticket.

I'm still going to be annoyed that all my HUD elements are pushed out of my quick glance range but maybe I'll get used to it.

I wonder if it can do a 16x9 1600P resolution when needed...

I also wonder if I'll miss the crisp pixel response of my TN monitor.

It's basically 3/4 of a 4K panel so a 1080Ti should run it decently in most games.

Archaea - I too have considered getting a freesync version and waiting for a faster card from the Red team. Didn't Intel say they were supporting Freesync with the Xe cards due in 2020? If so, you'd have options on that alternative as well.

DoubleTap - I think 1600P would be a livable alternative (remember there was a 30" U3011 that did almost that a few years back). And yes a 1080ti should get about 25% better FPS than 4K so probably easy in the 60-90FPS range and higher in some games.

4K 144hz? Yeah, not happening anytime soon with any video card out now or even two years from now.

I'll def be passing.

Plus, no doubt nVidia and the like will be way ... way ... over charging for this monitor. They could give a rats ass if they only sold a small number of these.

Best deal on the planet is the 2018 large display Samsung that does 1440p @ 120hz for $750. Have one and love it. And this is actually achievable with current gen hardware. My 2080 Ti pushes this extra large display very very well and buttery smooth @ 1440p @ 120hz native.

What I want is a 27 to 32" 5k monitor, 5120x2880. This way I can get excellent image quality in normal tasks and run pixel doubled in games to get the perf of 2560x1440.

run pixel doubled

Not actually a thing, though. No monitor scaler hardware(that I know of) supports it and AMD/Nvidia drivers don't support it either except on Linux for Nvidia(where it is still quite janky aiui).

Some few game engines do have engine-level support, though.

What I want is a 27 to 32" 5k monitor, 5120x2880. This way I can get excellent image quality in normal tasks and run pixel doubled in games to get the perf of 2560x1440.
There is already 27 inch 5k monitors. Several varieties actually. What doesn't exist is 5k with gysnc, >1090 hz refresh and so forth due to lack of bandwith. There are no 32 inch though. Asus had a prototype a few years ago but never released it.

the qled 8 and 9 series are 10 bit panels I believe, so is OLED, and there is no 12 bit tv out right now.

That is what I thought. Knew it seemed fishy when the guy I replied to originally seemed to have extreme and impossible expectations.

Not actually a thing, though. No monitor scaler hardware(that I know of) supports it and AMD/Nvidia drivers don't support it either except on Linux for Nvidia(where it is still quite janky aiui).

Some few game engines do have engine-level support, though.

Surprised the GPUs don’t offer it, it’s basically nearest neighbor, easier than bicubic or whatever they normally do.

4K 144hz? Yeah, not happening anytime soon with any video card out now or even two years from now.

While you'd probably be right about the price, keep in mind that the resolution here is 75% of full on 4K, so if you are getting 60-80 FPS in 4K from a Ti you could see 80-107 on a 3840x1600. That might change your perspective. I seem to recall from the HDR 4K 27" gsync monitor review I read that 4:4:4 with HDR in 4K had a processing limit of about 90Hz. Someone can correct me if my memory was off a bit, but it wasn't the full 120 or 144 that we often see due to the bandwidth needed for HDR and 4K. If you have a 25% reduction in that you'd be seeing a Gsync+HDR processing cap of more around 120Hz which seems to be pretty great, imo. I think people may be wishing for more resolution without really realizing the full impact on the pipeline or perhaps some have no interest in gsync. This is, afterall, a panel and some variations will likely come with gsync, freesync and just vanilla 60Hz 10 bit models, much like the recent nano-IPS 34" panel. This resolution is one that might not be super dense, but it's good enough 110ppi or so and by not being super high like 4K is capable of being driven with gsync or freesync2 with HDR and still get pretty high refresh rates with current technology. That's something to consider if any of these technologies are things that are on your wish list. I don't think it will be cheap if it utilizes Gsync HDR but it will deliver a pretty good mix of features in one monitor that have not been possible before.

Wishlist:
  • Gsync HDR even if it doesn't have a FALD - FALD's are pretty pricey for the improvement they bring and I don't need them)
  • USB - C 2xxx series cards have USB C, as does my SB2 - would be helpful if it had this with DP 1.4
  • DP 1.4 1.2 will not cut it
  • HDMI 2.1 if I have to live with 2.0b because of "what's possible now" I'll make do, but HDMI 1.4 will be a no go
  • HDR 600 don't need 1000 on a monitor that sits so close to my sitting position
  • 10 bit color seriously this is the way forward, HDR for now but more generic support for this is going to happen in the 3-5 years someone might use this monitor, and it will be $$$ for this monitor so this helps make it worth it
  • Stand LG's ring stand is nice but the Acer and Alienware spike feet that stick way out are annoying. Can be solved by an arm so not a huge deal but worth mentioning
  • Glow filter There was a time when a layer of material was put in the panel matrix to reduce IPS glow and keep it under control. If this isn't horribly expensive this would show a good attention to detail
  • 3 yr war 1 year just gives so little confidence that a manufacturer stands accountable for the quality of the product
  • Internal PSU
I'm realize (honestly) that all this may not happen in one product. And others may have different degrees of what's high or low in the importance list. I just thought I'd throw a few of these out there and people might chime in on what they want or do not want in the product. As someone mentioned above I also hope that they won't rush a poor product to market but also not announce something at CES and then not deliver a product until CES 2020. The longer in the year it takes the more I'm likely to think HDMI 2.1 needs to be in the feature set. By 2020 that's going to be a mainline feature.

CES comes soon and there are likely to be multiple designs on this panel and I pray that multiple vendors like Asus, Dell, Acer have their versions to show as well.

Anemone

Why would you want internal power supply? Extra heat and more difficult to replace in instance of failure over external power brick.

Less "stuff" to hide somewhere in my desk. I didn't think it was such a crazy notion since all monitors I've purchased had it and many of them have lasted longer than a decade. But if you think it's a weakness I could rethink it.

I’ve had three monitor power supplies fail from my personal exp over the years. All internal PSUs... I’m a big fan of external power bricks for that reason.

Ok I'll keep that in mind. My U3219Q has a built in PSU and it's not hot at all. But I'll keep it in mind.

Does anyone think that HDR10+ should be coming in monitors? It's an open standard and while not yet implemented in windows/games it will be before too long. And variable rate HDR has noticeable advantages. I know Dolby is the gold standard, I'm focusing on this because it's free and software support shouldn't be far off.

Anandtech claims that the HDMI port on the 38GL950G is HDMI 2.0. Which is either erroneous, or suggests a new G-Sync module. Or the HDMI port is going around the G-Sync module?

My biggest problem with my current ultrawide G-Sync is that I have my Mac plugged into the HDMI port and can overclock from 50 to 60 but 60 sucks.

It may well be a new gsync module. The capabilities of the panel for both HDR and high refresh practically beg to be used with Gsync HDR or some subsequent update thereto.

If Anand's description is correct this is the non HDR gsync because that would correspond to DP 1.2 listed. Only DP 1.4 has the bandwidth to carry a higher Hz almost 4K resolution. Sounds like this monitor is going to be a 38" version of the 34GK950G.
Anand's specs
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13736/lg-at-ces-38-inch-gaming-and-49-inch-workstation-displays

TFT Central thinks it's Gsync HDR (gsync 2)
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/lg-38gl950g-with-37-5-ultrawide-panel-144hz-and-g-sync/

I guess we'll have to see. Might be 3/4 of the year to find out :)

The recent LG 34GK950G is using the v1 Gsync module and is a lower resolution of 3440 x 1440. That led to a native 100Hz refresh rate spec and a 120Hz maximum overclock. If the 38GL950G is going to offer a slightly higher 3840 x 1600 resolution and a 144Hz refresh rate as advertised then that must mean it’s going to use the newer v2 module and therefore have DP 1.4. Although the panel spec is expected to have VESA HDR 600 the screen probably won’t, because of the complexities and cost of HDR with the Gsync module and probably also because of NVIDIAs desire to use FALD and better grade HDR where they offer it with the v2 module

HDR 600
3840x1600
144Hz
Panel number LM375QW2
Probably 8bit+FRC

Too small. I'd prefer 3840x2160 or something closer to it as well.

Not too shabby! Freesync I hope is at least included in most models.

I don't really give a shit about FreeSync given that it doesn't work with NVIDIA cards and AMD isn't competitive enough for me to go that route right now.

Too small. I'd prefer 3840x2160 or something closer to it as well.

I don't really give a shit about FreeSync given that it doesn't work with NVIDIA cards and AMD isn't competitive enough for me to go that route right now.

right now, but we are talking about future releases :)

If Anand's description is correct this is the non HDR gsync because that would correspond to DP 1.2 listed. Only DP 1.4 has the bandwidth to carry a higher Hz almost 4K resolution. Sounds like this monitor is going to be a 38" version of the 34GK950G.
Anand's specs
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13736/lg-at-ces-38-inch-gaming-and-49-inch-workstation-displays

TFT Central thinks it's Gsync HDR (gsync 2)
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/lg-38gl950g-with-37-5-ultrawide-panel-144hz-and-g-sync/

I guess we'll have to see. Might be 3/4 of the year to find out :)
The fact that it wasn't explicitly called out as HDR in the press release leads me to believe that it doesn't meet the requirements for the G-Sync 2 module. The fact that Anandtech says it's HDMI 2.0 also rules out the G-Sync 1 module. Hence me suggesting that maybe (hopefully) there's a new G-Sync module.

Back