Fury X is now just as fast as GTX 980Ti in 1080p/1440p and faster in 4K

SamiiRoss

Gawd
C&P

Nobody have made an article about it and it seems to have gone unnoticed so I think this one needs to be posted since it shakes up things in the GPU world. I hope the moderators let the thread stay since I post link to the te....

Link

That's great, it was released 3 months ago. It still uses considerably more power and runs hotter and just now they get their drivers straight. Good for them, but buying from them only enables this shit. Their driver support is legendary, in terms of shitty quality that is. This is a meme that has lived for well over 10 years and will continue on the more we accept, and in the OPs case even be happy, the releasing of an unfinished product and fixing it later model we seem to be stuck with. Long story short, fuck AMD.

Plus there are now Custom oc'd 980 tis that run as much as 30% faster ( MSI Lightning, ASUS ROG, EVGA CLASSIFIED) than reference while being cooler and quieter. Fury X can't touch these.

That's great, it was released 3 months ago. It still uses considerably more power and runs hotter and just now they get their drivers straight. Good for them, but buying from them only enables this shit. Their driver support is legendary, in terms of shitty quality that is. This is a meme that has lived for well over 10 years and will continue on the more we accept, and in the OPs case even be happy, the releasing of an unfinished product and fixing it later model we seem to be stuck with. Long story short, fuck AMD.

No kidding. AMD fans are just blind to this lol..

AMD cards are now reaching stock 980ti speeds... yet running way hotter. So pretty much an overclocked stock card with no headroom.

C&P

Nobody have made an article about it and it seems to have gone unnoticed so I think this one needs to be posted since it shakes up things in the GPU world. I hope the moderators let the thread stay since I post link to the te....

Link
I made a thread about this weeks ago:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1880254

Their conclusion is this:
TechPowerUp did a review of the GTX 980Ti Lightning where they used the newest video drivers from both AMD and Nvidia.
And it turns out it have completely shifted the edge GTX 980Ti had over the Fury X and surprisingly Fury X even takes the lead in 4K now.

And here's why they are wrong:
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/c...ry_x_leaps_ahead_of_nvidia_gtx_980_ti/cwzgpjb

They are lying by omission. It's not just drivers: TPU upgraded to Windows 10, they upgraded to a Skylake DDR4 build, and they swapped out a bunch of games in their test suite.
In my opinion the real winner here is Windows 10, followed by the Skylake upgrade, followed by the suite changes, and lastly... AMD's drivers. But that headline doesn't generate clicks, so they give all the credit to AMD.

Shameful, honestly. Their argument would be much more convincing had they included all of the info, but the fact that they intentionally leave stuff out to make AMD look better just throws the whole thing in the trash. But now we have threads like this, so they've achieved their goal.

Last edited:

Umm
nVidia track record:
Drivers forcing hard reset in dark age of camelot, bricked many HDDs (happened to me)

Drivers with incorrect fan profiles that caused GPUs to overheat and die (GPU didn't die for me)

Drivers removing overclocking settings

Windows 10 Epic fail drivers and SLI support

not sure why they get a free pass for this crap.

Umm
nVidia track record:
Drivers forcing hard reset in dark age of camelot, bricked many HDDs (happened to me)

Drivers with incorrect fan profiles that caused GPUs to overheat and die (GPU didn't die for me)

Drivers removing overclocking settings

Windows 10 Epic fail drivers and SLI support

not sure why they get a free pass for this crap.

A few instances over a consistent behavior. Do you not really understand?

Who pissed into your cheerios this morning? ;)

About power usage, is the Fury X not almost in-line with the 980Ti? This is what [H] had to say: Overall the power usage seemed to be on par with GeForce GTX 980 Ti in terms of system wattage. I did not look at many other reviews so maybe it's true (same goes for temperature).

Looking at the information provided by TaintedSquirrel, looks like the Fury X is still overall slower than a stock 980Ti, so no argument there.

But your comment about drivers is the usual nonsense you hear from fanboys (except if you are talking about CF where ATI usually drops the ball and NVIDIA is usually better). I find my ATI cards (Fury X, 290X) do work just as well as the NVIDIA (original Titans, a pair of 980Ti) ones. But then again I don't give a flying fuck what brand of card I get as long as it's working properly.

Last edited:
I have had no problems with AMD drivers.

I find most problems to be user error..... Just saying.

Actually, it doesn't use considerably more power, in fact they are close in power usage :)

Nice click bait. Might be worth analyzing results rather than posting comparisons without due dilligence.

I jumped from R9 290 to 980ti and have to say that I never had driver issues with AMD... With th e 980ti I had quite a few hard crashes and 10+ instances where the drivers would crash.

I jumped from R9 290 to 980ti and have to say that I never had driver issues with AMD... With th e 980ti I had quite a few hard crashes and 10+ instances where the drivers would crash.

Most of the problem is people blanket statement DRIVER issues. For instance, most single GPU AMD owners will testify to having no issues. This is generally single monitor users. Now add multi-monitor(playing on one and using the other for something else) you can find a few users with issues. Or CF where the issue is CF profiles not being timely, which I wouldn't necessarily call these drivers but well... . So technically for most users AMD drivers are quite stable and error free. Doesn't mean some wont have issues but what would help the discussion is more specific issues being presented rather than blanket statements the get toss around in perpetual defiance of the truth.

Overclock an AMD card (on water): +20% at most. Overclock an nVidia card (on water): easy +50%.

Ditto for my Sapphire Fury! Way better 4K performance than 2x water-cooled, oc'd 7970s and it's almost as quiet. I'm looking forward to the Crimson drivers.

Except you can't hook it up to any 4K TVs or 4K CRT monitors.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with what he said. This spouting negativity out of context crap has got to go. Time to grow up and learn some compassion and empathy. His enjoyment of a given product in no way hinges on your desire to see it fail.

If you are using Win10 I noticed when switching graphics cards doesn't matter which way you change out your card, AMD to nV, or nV to AMD. You need to clean graphics drivers, and also flush your network card if you are using wireless connection.

According to that it seems Fury X is equal to a reference 980 Ti. If you consider that the 980 Ti overclocks quite a decent amount and the X does not then the 980 Ti still has the lead. Other than really liking AMD's cards I don't see much reason to buy the Fury X when it's not significantly cheaper than the custom 980 Ti cards.

Good for AMD to improve their drivers that much though!

the 980TI is hands down for now the better card. Just fact. But it doesn't mean any other card will not give outstanding performance. Getting a FuryX will not give any less visual quality, ie: FPS, visuals, than a 980TI for the majority of users. Always found it funny in debates like these. The guy playing on A card doesn't have a clue how B card plays. And when the guy on B card is playing the Guy on A card doesn't have diminished experience so why does it matter so much which is in the lead, wouldn't which card gets C playability be the better metric?

the 980TI is hands down for now the better card. Just fact. But it doesn't mean any other card will not give outstanding performance. Getting a FuryX will not give any less visual quality, ie: FPS, visuals, than a 980TI for the majority of users. Always found it funny in debates like these. The guy playing on A card doesn't have a clue how B card plays. And when the guy on B card is playing the Guy on A card doesn't have diminished experience so why does it matter so much which is in the lead, wouldn't which card gets C playability be the better metric?

Why risk the various cons of FuryX over a 980Ti? You get less performance. You get less VRAM. On top of that, performance optimisations are slower to arrive.

Let's take Fallout 4, hottest recent game. 980Ti users enjoy great performance on day 1. FuryX users have to wait 9 days for a driver that improves performance by 20%. If you game 5 hours a day that's 45 hours of poorer gameplay experience. That's almost the length of the average AAA title these days.

Witcher 3, another hot game of 2015.
1440388080TJD7qbsJrD_4_1.gif

1440388080TJD7qbsJrD_7_1.gif

There's a definite visual improvement when you go with the 980Ti in this case. If you want to play at the same settings as the Fury X, you get within 1FPS of 60FPS.

So yeah, your argument flies out the window.

I've had no issues hooking my amd cards up to my 4k monitor, of which there are plenty of models available, or is the standard now what TV we can hook up to our pc's? Also, what 4k CRT?

Here's a hint in case you didn't pick up on it, 99% of users and 100% of the manufacturing base don't give a single shit about CRT's. You can keep using yours, but your points are lost on most people here, since, again, almost all of them have moved to LCD's years ago.

In closing, please shut the fuck up. We get it. You won't buy AMD cards, because they murdered your dog AND your mother in the process of releasing a GPU that can't support your extremely legacy device.

If you are using Win10 I noticed when switching graphics cards doesn't matter which way you change out your card, AMD to nV, or nV to AMD. You need to clean graphics drivers, and also flush your network card if you are using wireless connection.

Windows 7 mate...

I find it funny how people bitch about AMD drivers time and again (usually deserving, i will add), but when AMD does do good and fix/improve the driver performance at a later date, those same people refuse to acknowledge the performance gains but yet will go and seek out some other out-of-scope / irrelevant issue that triggers their fanboi rage in order to keep the fight going.

Good example from this thread here:
FuryX users have to wait 9 days for a driver that improves performance by 20%.

NINE DAYS! Woo!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Must be nice being an NVidia or an Intel in the market these days.

I am more interested in AMD getting more out of HBM and getting through the learning curve. HBM is one cool tech needed in APUs like yesterday.

Fury x does not run hotter, silly nvidiot.

I find it funny how people bitch about AMD drivers time and again (usually deserving, i will add), but when AMD does do good and fix/improve the driver performance at a later date, those same people refuse to acknowledge the performance gains but yet will go and seek out some other out-of-scope / irrelevant issue that triggers their fanboi rage in order to keep the fight going.

Good example from this thread here:

NINE DAYS! Woo!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Must be nice being an NVidia or an Intel in the market these days.

yet you have an shinning 4790K.. :p

Back