Fury X - 500 Watts Cooling Capacity...Really?

• Thread starter Deleted member 93354
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 93354

I have yet to see a 140mm radiator do better then about 250Watts of cooling.

How did AMD double the performance?

I have yet to see a 140mm radiator do better then about 250Watts of cooling.

How did AMD double the performance?

Cooling capacity is total BS since it depends entirely on the temperature difference between the coolant and ambient. It can probably dissipate 500W when there's a temp delta of about 80C.

Cooling capacity is total BS since it depends entirely on the temperature difference between the coolant and ambient. It can probably dissipate 500W when there's a temp delta of about 80C.

That's only partially true. Thermal conductivity plays a large amount into that. If you have a extremely low thermal conductivity (like Styrofoam), it doesn't matter what the temperature delta is. Even large thermal conductivity levels (silver/copper/aluminum) have limits of how much heat they can transfer / sec in a given area.

because its not water

its coolant supposedly

Unless it's DX, I seriously doubt AMD came up with a mysterious new liquid coolant that isn't already in use for coolers. Otherwise the auto and refrigeration industry will be knocking on their door.

Just a rumor i heard.

It would explain the 500watt capacity.

Noone using it because its not necessary normally.

Up to 500 watts. Electrically you should not attempt to pull more than 375 watts. BTW coolant usually contains some water, not to be confused with refrigerant.

§kynet;1041672304 said:
Up to 500 watts. Electrically you should not attempt to pull more than 375 watts. BTW coolant usually contains some water, not to be confused with refrigerant.

Your choices are
Ethylene Glycol
Propylene Glycol
Water
and various DX's

If there's a more efficient way then the above to dissipate large amounts of heat, my company would LOVE to hear about it as one of the single biggest cost is often the size of our heat exchangers.

Glycol based coolants have water added to them otherwise the density is lower and not as efficient. You only need enough coolant so it doesn't freeze and offers effective anti corrosion properties.

Water is the best coolant there is, if we are talking about W/Cº. We put additives and other stuff to avoid rust, getting the liquid frozen and other stuff.

Any way, 500W ain't really unfounded. Any 120mm rad can do something similar, though Delta temps will be horrible and you will need a heck of a powerful fan.

With that said, though, the fan that shows up for the Fury X is a.. Gentle Typhoon server grade, with rpm's > 2250.

Was worth starting a new thread on this? Maybe let's start a thread for piece of info we have so far?

Fury X - 8.6 Tflops

Fury X - 5k

Fury X - Lisa Su looks like asian Pat

Fury X - Nano

Fury X - HBM

Fury X - kbits

Fury X - MAGNESIUM

Fury X - so is this a 390x or what?

Fury X - 6 inches of fury

Fury X - that's what she said

Fury X - infused with Eskimo blood

That's only partially true. Thermal conductivity plays a large amount into that. If you have a extremely low thermal conductivity (like Styrofoam), it doesn't matter what the temperature delta is. Even large thermal conductivity levels (silver/copper/aluminum) have limits of how much heat they can transfer / sec in a given area.

Come on, let's not get stupid. Materials of construction, coolant, etc. are all pretty much a given in this case. You and I and everyone else knows we're not talking about styrofoam radiators with Easy Cheese for coolant and blocks whittled from white oak.

Come on, let's not get stupid. Materials of construction, coolant, etc. are all pretty much a given in this case. You and I and everyone else knows we're not talking about styrofoam radiators with Easy Cheese for coolant and blocks whittled from white oak.

Easy Cheese for coolant made me laugh....

§kynet;1041672321 said:
Glycol based coolants have water added to them otherwise the density is lower and not as efficient. You only need enough coolant so it doesn't freeze and offers effective anti corrosion properties.

lol. I know. I rewrote some of the FORTRAN routines used to calculate heat transfer for our ASHRAE submissions on coils.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parja,

EVERYTHING has a heat conductivity limit. If you put a copper fin 5 miles from a heat source do you think it's going to instantly heat up? I was just using Styrofoam as an example of an extreme to get the point across that beyond a certain point a material can not transmit more than so many watts/second/unit area, no matter the heat delta.

Trust me, I know a thing or two about thermodynamics and coils.

i think you missed his point

He was obviously exaggerating.

We have to assume AMD knows how to put together a cooler.

500W is probably for Tj,max or some throttle temperature just under it. If that's the case, they're technically not false advertising.

i think you missed his point

He was obviously exaggerating.

We have to assume AMD knows how to put together a cooler.

No, more that the parameters of the system in question are pretty well defined, understood, and constant for the given application.

Long story short, the 500W number is probably achievable, but it's not likely to be at a delta T or fan speed anyone's going to find reasonable.

No, more that the parameters of the system in question are pretty well defined, understood, and constant for the given application.

Long story short, the 500W number is probably achievable, but it's not likely to be at a delta T or fan speed anyone's going to find reasonable.

And I'm telling you I've never seen a radiator that size do much better then ~250Watts. (Unless it's OBSCENELY THICK with many rows and many FPI (Fins per inch)) (@ a 10C Delta)

Edit: Just did a google search which backs the 250 Watt figure for 120/140mm radiators.
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-watercooling-guide-from-a-to-z.180876/

Last edited by a moderator:
§kynet;1041672321 said:

Glycol is horrible compared to water.

It should be more like.. Glycol is added to water.

It is also a lubricant for the water pump in a car. If you run straight water, the pump will generally wear out faster than normal.

And another additive that actually helps cooling instead of hindering it, is Water Wetter.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

In a computer setup you could just run water with water wetter and not have to use any glycol containing coolants.

I don't think I'd ever heard of Easy Cheese so this thread was good for something I guess. Yes I am familiar with engine coolants, you use the phrase adding water because the coolant is a much less common liquid and costs a lot more. Water Wetter is worthless I've tested it.

It all depends on Delta T

Someone do tell us how the rad on 295X2 which looks to be smaller than the one on Fury X is able to dissipate 500w and still keep the cores on that thing below 75c degrees?

My wild guess is that the water Delta T on that 295X2 is like 30-40c and not the usual 10-15c where custom wc guys (me included) are usually aiming.

I don't doubt that rad/fan can deal with close to 500 watts. You won't like the noise/heat of course.

It all depends on Delta T

Someone do tell us how the rad on 295X2 which looks to be smaller than the one on Fury X is able to dissipate 500w and still keep the cores on that thing below 75c degrees?

My wild guess is that the water Delta T on that 295X2 is like 30-40c and not the usual 10-15c where custom wc guys (me included) are usually aiming.

That 500 figure includes ram and VRM which are cooled via conventional means.

Doubling the temperature delta does more then double the efficiency due to newtons law of thermodynamic transfer...provided you don't hit the conductivity limit.

But to reach those kind of deltas you must have a hell of a block and a hell of a hot GPU.

The liquid cooling block appears to cover the entire card including memory and regulators so no passive cooling or anything like that.

I'm sitting at my desk and giggling vigorously at ridiculous things like: "better coolant can increase the capacity of a radiator." Lol

Yeah, the 295X2 used a similar sized rad with a basic OEM fan, and that sure as hell dissipated more than 250w. Yes, it was complimented by an air solution, but last I checked, there was no direct heatsink for the fan. On a 500+w TDP card, you would tell me that a 120 rad is only dissipating a maximum of 250w, somehow, a dual-slot fan-based cooling solution is able to dissipate the other 250w whilst not having an actual heatsink?

§kynet;1041672581 said:
Those are pearls of wisdom you can't get from any book.
Better coolant (lower viscosity and higher thermal conductivity) helps with cpu/gpu temperatures but does not increase the radiator's capacity. I guess we better engineer stuffs based on pearl of wisdom instead of relying on books huh. :rolleyes:

Lol at 6 inches of fury.

Amd's claim I don't doubt, though it won't be at ideal temps and noise.

Better coolant (lower viscosity and higher thermal conductivity) helps with cpu/gpu temperatures but does not increase the radiator's capacity. I guess we better engineer stuffs based on pearl of wisdom instead of relying on books huh. :rolleyes:
It increases the cooling capacity. Not exactly revolutionary knowledge however.

§kynet;1041672681 said:
It increases the cooling capacity. Not exactly revolutionary knowledge however.

And where is that knowledge from? Your pearls of wisdom? I guess so. Coolant can increase cooling capacity of a cooling system, lol. I'm looking for your references for that.

Im just guessing rooms with extremely low ambient air temp would also help it to reach a higher wattage level of cooling....but yea the 500 watt advertised level being a bit exaggerated is a given

§kynet;1041672748 said:
The source is you, read your own post lol.

I'm going to get out of here because it seems like you have a problem with comprehensive reading.

Back