Funny thing at Velocity Micro

Innominate

n00b
after the ABSPC m6 review i went back to price compare/configure a rig at Velocity Micro and found something interesting out. i configured a gamers edge 1500 and a DualX exactly the same. M2N board, 2g DDR2, 7900 GT etc and the DualX priced out $200 more than the 1500 ?! what is up with that? i haven't called VM to ask them why this is. but after the M6 review i think i'm gonna have to go with the M6. it priced $200 less than the Velocity and it has a M2N32 board w/64 X2 4000 vs 3800 on the Gamers Edge. (gonna post this in the M6 review thread too)

Good catch on the price differences. The simple reason for the descrepency between two seemingly identical systems is because the GE1500 offers very few customization options, is designed to be built in higher volumes because of this, and has a neat but less meticulous wiring job. The price of our systems is not only based on the cost of the components, but the actual effort, engineering, and time involved. The 1500 benefits from the trickle down efficiency savings that we pass on to many customers each month. The benefit to you is you can go with either system, your choice.

My advice, if the GE1500 fits your needs, go with it, but if you want full customization options, more meticulous wiring job, and more tuning, go with the longer lead time DualX. Don't forget our tech support is the class of the PC business, which is quite expensive to operate, but worth it to many.

It seems like that would be the perfect reason to use that 1500 dollar model as part of your retail outlet program. With a best buy near me, and that being about my price range, I might impulse buy one if I can carry it home that day :)

Technoob said:
It seems like that would be the perfect reason to use that 1500 dollar model as part of your retail outlet program. With a best buy near me, and that being about my price range, I might impulse buy one if I can carry it home that day :)

Many Best Buy stores carry out DualX T1125, which is a $1599 system with many similar components except also offers the GeForce 7900GT. It's a tremendous value and in stock at many stores for you to carry home today.

Velocity_Micro said:
Many Best Buy stores carry out DualX T1125, which is a $1599 system with many similar components except also offers the GeForce 7900GT. It's a tremendous value and in stock at many stores for you to carry home today.

Oh god the temptation.

For $200 of my hard-earned money it better be a damn good wiring job is all I have to say. Nice to see employees of systems builders (boutiques or whatever) are prowling these forums though in search of good/bad word of mouth. In fact, I spoke yesterday with a representative from Corsair.

edit: WOW, I just re-read your title: CEO of Velocity Micro. That is a big reputation to back up, and I commend you on your diligence to inform and be inquisitive on your product line. There is probably not a better place to do so than here in the [H]ard Forums.

seems like someone just caught a great deal at vm. I appreciate the fact that the vm ceo has once again responded to questions on this forum.

at first I was skeptical of the price differential, but the reasons laid out make sense. with so many folks here diy-focused, that price really jumps out - but there do seem to be costs associated with running a business that have to get taken into account somewhere or else great companies like vm wouldn't be able to keep the doors open. I also appreciate the fact that vm is not trying to be the cheapest guy out there. so instead of raising eyebrows at how the dualx is more expensive, think about how this smart person was in the right place at the right time. makes me want to check out what other deals might be lurking.

I'm thinking of trying to find a GE1500 type deal on a Conroe. Any plans, Randy?

To be honest, you can go with either party. I know both parties uses qualitative components. The best bit is that perhaps you should wait a little bit until the conroe systems are out. I know, I know. You wont see a huge difference in performance when it comes to gaming. However, when you finally pop in the SLI mode, play at a reasonable res (1280x1024) the difference is pretty dramatic.

I know, because i'm currently testing these puppies out. btw, that gigabyte water cooling is a beast. Fan controller definitely helps the noise level tremendously!

Back