Funny how Dell Try To Bite Alienware

NewMonster

Limp Gawd
after dell bought alienware.... they tried to bite (copy) alienware commercial! like showing a close up and rotate view.... esackly like alienware.... i laugh my ass off after seeing it!!!

i think alienware is better off alone

I have seen Alienware ad's when there use to be TechTV, I havent seen any on G4.

NewMonster said:
after dell bought alienware.... they tried to bite (copy) alienware commercial! like showing a close up and rotate view.... esackly like alienware.... i laugh my ass off after seeing it!!!

i think alienware is better off alone

Hard to copy something you own. lol

Alienware isn't the same since Dell bought them. Guy I work with just went to so much CRAP with Alienware when he bought his computer about a month ago.

And how is that any different from before Dell bought them?

I really dont think dell is copy alienware, wow they usee a 3d view thing. I dont see dell adding AMD chips anytime soon. Really I dont think dell is as bad as people make them out to be. They sell all kinds of good stuff, I love there moniters and stuff. There PC arent that bad either minus the pre-loaded software crap.

Alienware machines are crap anyway. Too expensive for what they are, and most anyone that frequents these boards can build better for less and we all know it.

Why Dell bought them was beyond me, and if things continue, Alienware will disappear at some point.

bb

br0adband said:
Alienware machines are crap anyway. Too expensive for what they are, and most anyone that frequents these boards can build better for less and we all know it.

Why Dell bought them was beyond me, and if things continue, Alienware will disappear at some point.

bb
Yea really, igf you want a good computer for really cheap just build one...dont know how LEARN j/p.

Dell was probably looking for a way to offload their "gaming" systems into a boutique style company so they can charge 4x more for them. ;) I can't imagine why else they would buy a company like Alienware.

exabyte said:
I have seen Alienware ad's when there use to be TechTV, I havent seen any on G4.

I see them all the time on a lot of different channels. But i hope you dont watch G4 after they killed my favorite channel.

br0adband said:
bb

I used to say the same thing about Alienware but lately I've been in the market for a laptop for my next deployment and well Alienware has some pretty good price/performance ratio since they were bought by Dell. I don't know. I'll probably just end up buying a falcon northwest =/

LordGardenGnome said:
I used to say the same thing about Alienware but lately I've been in the market for a laptop for my next deployment and well Alienware has some pretty good price/performance ratio since they were bought by Dell. I don't know. I'll probably just end up buying a falcon northwest =/

Well, laptop is SLIGHTLY different than PC. Can't really build a (non ghetto) laptop, actually have to buy one from Dell, Toshiba, etc, so that makes it kind of a moot point to his quote

VRMan said:
Dell was probably looking for a way to offload their "gaming" systems into a boutique style company so they can charge 4x more for them. ;) I can't imagine why else they would buy a company like Alienware.

Exaaaaaaclty.

derrick45123 said:
I really dont think dell is copy alienware, wow they usee a 3d view thing. I dont see dell adding AMD chips anytime soon. Really I dont think dell is as bad as people make them out to be. They sell all kinds of good stuff, I love there moniters and stuff. There PC arent that bad either minus the pre-loaded software crap.
*Remembers piece-o'-shit Latitude D505 that went to hell a few months back, fondly thinking back to m6809*

I am an owner of 2 Alienware systems, although I now build my own because I can and enjoy it very much.

But man I am sick and tired of people bashing AW without doing any homework.
Let me show you something.
All prices of comparison are retail off Newegg today.

Comparison System.....Alienware Aurora 7500 Desktop......brand new chassis P2, free 17" LCD monitor, configured with AMD FX-62 just because I like AMD.
AW......FX-62,2GB DDR2 RAM PC 6400,SLI MB nVidia nForce 590,nVidia 7950GX2,650W PSU,250 GB sATA HD, 2x optical drives (just for fun) Windows XP MCE (essentially XP Pro)......price= $3250.

Hand Picked on Newegg.......FX-62, ASUS AM2 Deluxe SLI MB, 2 GB Corsair DDR2 RAM PC 6400C4Pro,PC Power and Cooling 1KW PSU, nVidia BFG 7950 GX2, WD Caviar sATA 320 GB HD, Lite-on opticals x 2, Lian Li 6070B Plus case, Windows XP Pro O/S.......price= $2900.

Ok so take the parts and build it yourself, the Newegg price doesnt include buying a 17" LCD or nice mouse and keyboard.
Congratulations......you saved $350, you had to do the work, you got no support if things go to shit, and you have to warranty each individual part to their respective supplier. PLUS, how much is your time worth??????

Alienware,VelocityMicro,FalconNorthwest,VooDoo......are not overpriced if you just take the time to compare like to like.......I dont want to hear any arguments about overclocking a cheaper part.......stock for stock......350......yes I bought a better power supply and a spanky case.......why scrimp.

Think before you post.

Why scrimp? Perhaps because your entire argument is that Alienware is NOT overpriced, then you go and buy components that are more expensive? Let alone buy them from one merchant and considering that newegg does NOT have the lowest prices on everything, I fail to see how your argument is valid.

It is cheaper to build your own system. It really is that simple.

LOL just looked up the price of the RAM you picked out--$300.00? Yah, your argument is very convincing.

Yes, and the amount that it is cheaper varys and is enhanced by the amount of choice you have.

If I was buying a new system, I wouldnt skrimp on price......the components I chose are branded, high quality components. If you want to build a spanking new top of the line computer, one with an 800 dollar processor and a 200 dollar MB are you really going to put some piece of shit value RAM in it (just for example????)

In most if not all of the boutique builders, you can do the same......and they use the same components you and I can buy retail. Like I said......I chose retail from Newegg because overall and on average they have a huge selection, in stock, and the prices are most likely as low or lower than anybody......sure you could order from Monarch and wait three weeks, or get hustled by some other low rent retailer.....overall I think anybody would want quality and service and quick delivery.....so I chose the egg.

Really you're picking nits here. If you hunt everywhere, sure you might find a deal. Did you factor in all the shipping costs of your retail components????? The AW most likely will be sent free.

If you've never owned one of their products, all I'm really saying is dont bad mouth them with absolutely no experience......

I've demonstrated you cant say they have ridiculously high prices. Yeah, you may be able to save yourself another one or two hundred dollars if you buy no name or cheap under-performing components.....but there was nothing no-name in the AW list either.
Secondly......service, I've had my fair share of being on hold with AW operators over the years, but overall the problems were always solved professionally, period. There's an old saying, people that are pleased with a product never complain. You can always find a story about "my brother's friend" who had a shitty experience......but you never get the whole story. This friend probably got mad at the AW guy and told him to fuck himself out of frustration.....how would you feel on the other end????
My reason for posting is not to be an AW !!!!!!. Im far from it. All I want to point out is, this company builds quality computers, provides good service, and the computer is ready out of the box. Some people dont want to build computers, they want to open the box and watch it go, period.
If you have no experience with a company, dont bad mouth them. If you want to cut corners, go to BestBuy.
And finally.....you dont factor in the warranty or service after the sale. When you build it yourself, you are the tech support.....you have your friends and the forums for help.....sometimes good, sometimes not. If you buy a system, you have the company for support, period.
I'm not debating that you cant build a system for less....any body can figure that out....it's just that the margin is not that wide....and when you factor in the intangibles (service, warranty,RMA) the difference shrinks.
As for the comment about buying expensive components.....the PSU rated at 1KW gives me a system that I can add another 7950 GX2 for quad SLI.....thinking ahead. The AW configurator didnt have that choice or I'd have picked it......and since you cant buy an AW case, I chose a nice Lian Li......why put 2500 bucks worth of components in a ten dollar case. :eek:

Back