Funny Article: AMD declares all out war on Nvidia

Truth is that if 290x didn't run 95c it would of been $699 or maybe more.
Amd knows that the only way they could sell these hot chocolates is by lowering the price.

galaxyquest.gif

Amd knows that the only way they could sell these hot chocolates is by lowering the price.

95c is fine. I run that temp all the time with my 480 gtx.

Why wouldnt the 290x be fine then, because its amd?

95c is fine. I run that temp all the time with my 480 gtx.

Why wouldnt the 290x be fine then, because its amd?

Mine ran at 96 and stayed there and didn't return to idle temps until about 5 minutes or so after I finished gaming. Not to mention my launch 470 would have high temps just running dual monitors (was fixed in a driver later in that year.)

My 470 ate power and farted out heat just as bad as a 480. Eventually it was RMA'ed and I got a 480 instead. Regardless, 3-4 years running 470/480 and my PC has not spontaneously combusted.

The 290X will not set the fans to a speed higher then 55% unless it is overheating or is manually told too that is one of the bug reasons why it runs at 95C

Heck my 5850 ran at 70C overcloced to 1Ghz (fucking impressive for the time), with a better cooler it ran at 25C max

loooooooooooooool i laughed a really good time reading twice the article xD..

The temp itself isn't the problem so much as the higher power consumption(and as a result) ridiculous cooling requirements and the noise that produces because AMD doesn't have a heatsink capable of handling it.

The temp itself isn't the problem so much as the higher power consumption(and as a result) ridiculous cooling requirements and the noise that produces because AMD doesn't have a heatsink capable of handling it.

It uses slightly more power than a GTX 480 and less power than an overclocked 780. What ridiculous cooling requirements?

Obama will give a speech next week on the national crisis emerging from these crazy video cards.

@55%, there is a little noise (less than 7970), if you increase the cap past 55, there will be noise.

In the article they increased it to 100%, thats what they are complaining about.

Yeah my 470 runs 90c often. Currently the ambient temp is probably closer to like 20c in my room right now so it's around 60c or 70c. I haven't checked since FAH got it warm.

Not seeing a problem.

You guys need to learn how to make your own fan curve in afterburner ffs. I ran tri 470 in a 600t which isnt great for airflow amd cards never broke 80C with about 65% fan with a 25C ambient.

You guys need to learn how to make your own fan curve in afterburner ffs. I ran tri 470 in a 600t which isnt great for airflow amd cards never broke 80C with about 65% fan with a 25C ambient.

My fan is running 100%. If you were running triple 470s while gaming then those cards weren't at 100% load. Try running FAH on all three of them. ;)

It uses slightly more power than a GTX 480 and less power than an overclocked 780. What ridiculous cooling requirements?

You know, the ones that were so high that Nvidia felt it made sense to completely redesign their blower coolers from the ground up, despite them not even nearly as bad as the 290X...?

Kind of obvious that the 290X's heatsink is designed for cards with 100W less TDP.

So you are saying that stock GTX 480 and overclocked 780/Titan also have ridiculous cooling requirements?

I would call them high, they are powerful cards after all.

I would say that advertising a card at a certain frequency but that frequency is frequently throttled down by regular use is not the best way to win people over.

I am 100% for amd and nvidia making the biggest, hottest, most powerful chips they can . . . as long as they can COOL them sufficiently so they NEVER throttle during normal use (these are desktops we're talking about) and don't sit at 95C.

I would say that advertising a card at a certain frequency but that frequency is frequently throttled down by regular use is not the best way to win people over.

I am 100% for amd and nvidia making the biggest, hottest, most powerful chips they can . . . as long as they can COOL them sufficiently so they NEVER throttle during normal use (these are desktops we're talking about) and don't sit at 95C.

I agree. Both Nvidia and AMD throttle their cards. Both companies suck for doing it.

Let's wait to see aftermarket cooler designs. The MSI TF design is one of my favorites, and the sapphire vaporX is good. The DirectCUII by asus should keep this thing nice and quiet.

Let's wait to see aftermarket cooler designs. The MSI TF design is one of my favorites, and the sapphire vaporX is good. The DirectCUII by asus should keep this thing nice and quiet.

The Asus will only keep it cool if the screws don't fall out and cause the card to catch on fire... :p /sarcasm

So you are saying that stock GTX 480 and overclocked 780/Titan also have ridiculous cooling requirements?

I would call them high, they are powerful cards after all.

I'm not totally sure why you're equating all these things, the 290X consumes 20-25% more power than a GTX Titan/780. That's not a "comparable" amount. But yes, incidentally, I would say those other cards have ridiculous cooling requirements. That would be why Nvidia spent a bunch of money and time redesigning and building a much more expensively designed blower than on any of their other cards.

AMD did not put any effort into designing an appropriate cooler for a card that has ridiculous power requirements, and thus the one they used is completely overwhelmed and performs poorly. The GTX 780 blower can comfortably handle the card even when it's overclocked to the point that it always beats the 290X. The 290X cooler can't even handle it at stock clocks, let alone with an overclock. That tells you all you need to know.

AMD did not put any effort into designing an appropriate cooler for a card that has ridiculous power requirements, and thus the one they used is completely overwhelmed and performs poorly. The GTX 780 blower can comfortably handle the card even when it's overclocked to the point that it always beats the 290X. The 290X cooler can't even handle it at stock clocks, let alone with an overclock. That tells you all you need to know.
People who actually own the card and have had time to play with it are reporting a different experience than your vivid imagination is: http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/official-amd-r9-290x-290-owners-club/1000_100#post_21066287

But, you know, quoting them would make talking out of your ass that much more difficult.

Back