Funky issue with intel HD graphics for second monitor:

Sojuuk

2[H]4U
Recently I switched my second monitor from my 6970 to running on the intel built in HD3000 stuff. I figured it would give me some more fps as I watch movies while gaming.

Anyways sometimes when I wake up all the stuff that was on the second monitor has moved to the main screen. I keep the main screen empty and even move the start bar to the second screen but when I wake up all my folders and chat windows and even the start bar is back on the 1st screen. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Also I know it's not a driver crash as I have seen that happen and the stuff stays where it is when the drivers recover. The gpu is not overclocked.

Last edited:
Hmmm. That's an interesting idea you have, there.

DOES it give you any more FPS? Say, without the video playing? (I'm usually running a few apps in my second monitor when gaming - sometimes a web browser, which is technically using the GPU to render)

I'm not currently using the integrated GPU on my main rig, but...if that helps, no reason not to!

The only thing I could remotely guess at for this is that it might be something like the integrated GPU deciding to 'go to sleep' before the dedicated GPU. Or, especially if this is a 'sometimes' thing - maybe they both 'go to sleep' at the same time, roughly, but sometimes the integrated GPU goes first (and you see this effect), and sometimes it's the dedicated GPU (and then it comes back normally).

I'd guess that if you disabled the sleep mode on the video components, that might fix this? Or, if you have the option (no idea if it's present or not for the integrated GPU), uncheck the 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option in device manager?

Maybe your monitor has a sleep mode? Or something along those lines, it could be that if you leave your computer on over night your display drivers may crash if overheating and the display will turn off / reset meaing your stuff would be moved to the last working monitor.

sig.jpg

Maybe your monitor has a sleep mode? Or something along those lines, it could be that if you leave your computer on over night your display drivers may crash if overheating and the display will turn off / reset meaing your stuff would be moved to the last working monitor.

sig.jpg

good point. I always turn off the second monitor when sleeping. Why would my intel HD be crashing I didn't overclock it or anything everything about it is left on auto in the bios............

Last edited:
its not crashing, its shutting off because the monitors turned off. so it doesn't see the second monitor anymore and moves everything back to the other monitor which is a dedicated card and dedicated active display.

its not crashing, its shutting off because the monitors turned off. so it doesn't see the second monitor anymore and moves everything back to the other monitor which is a dedicated card and dedicated active display.

well thats an annoying "feature" but I guess it makes sense until you think about....

well thats an annoying "feature" but I guess it makes sense until you think about....

yup i agree its annoying. there might be a way in the bios to set it as always on instead of auto. or if not just leave the monitor on and set windows to turn the display off after 5 minutes of being idle. its pretty much what i do with my monitors since i usually watch movies or boring tv shows when i go to sleep. so they turn off 5 minutes after the movie ends.

Back