full review online R9 390x R9 380 and R7 370!

In the link below you can find a detailed review of the new cards with some surprising results. Yes its dutch but the graphs speak for themselves, if you have any question i can translate that specific part.
http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/613...90x-review-nieuwe-line-up-met-bestaande-chips

edit 1: The review isnt ''complete'' yet due to very recent drivers from amd which were needed for this review. All tests are done at clock speeds even though the MSI and Asus cards are tested

For a rebrand, there's a bigger difference in FPS between a 290X and a 390X than between a 780 and a 980.

Yeah, I had my doubts, but this 390x looks like more than a mere rebrand....

Not shabby at all at 4K. Keeps up with and sometimes beats the GTX 980 in most cases and its $399?

Price war = consumers win.

It has already been verified by AMD as a re brand... with "minor" tweaks, but essentially the same ASIC.

The performance differences come from slight clock changes and better yield with a mature process.

Last edited:
Looks like the 380 is really just a rebrand of the 285. And the 285 in factory overclocked form like the Gigabyte variant - is really just about the same speed. Price is lower on the 380 than I expected, but so is the performance.

390x seems comparable to the GTX980 in some games...maybe nVidia will re-brand the GTX980 to the GTX970-Ti for $430, and the GTX970 gets re-branded to the GTX960-Ti for $300.

I'm glad AMD managed to tweak the 290x enough to make it a contender with the 980. This is great for price wars and will certainly brand the price of the 980 down. I would be surprised if Nvidia doesn't have a driver release up its sleeve to boost 900 series speeds by 5-10%. This also tells me that if the 390x can match the 980, then there is no doubt the fury x will match or exceed 980 ti performance. I think AMD is off to a good start. Some will disagree for sure, buts i think it's not bad at all. Of course if the fury X can't match the 980 ti then AMD is in serious trouble.

980 and 290x were always somewhat close until you did OC vs. OC. That's what I'd like to see.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-390x-r9-380-r7-370,4178-6.html

The factory-overclocked Radeon R9 390X can’t compete with the similarly-tuned GeForce GTX 980 Ti and 980. Nvidia’s 970 is the only card that succumbs to AMD’s flagship in certain situations.

Sounds like the 970 is a much better buy. The 390X should be $299 for anyone to bother with it.

UA3PGeu.jpg

100+W more than a 980 :eek:

I think it hits a needed spot in the market. I can only assume the 8gb is for crossfire thought?

Simple rebrand eh?

I can rest easy with my discounted R9 285. The newer driver DLL files fix all my visual cutscene issues with GTA V and combat crashing in the Witcher 3. (v1040 DLL's similar date to R9 300 launch driver)

It looks like we're due some improvements in the future Catalyst drivers...

4GB would've been nice but by the time most games require that (or more) as a minimum requirement - cards with 6, 8, 12GB will be out - as is the nature of our hobby.

I find wattage figures are rather overemphasized - granted wastage is regrettable - but savings can be made elsewhere.

My planned upgrade from an old Phenom 955 to a newer Intel part would treble the performance and halve the power draw.

An extra 100W amounts to nothing really - switch out some lightbulbs or something...

1000W / 1kW costs me 11p - a whopping 1p per kW over the GTX 980 had I bought the 390X.

How long would it take to claw back nVidia tax at that saving?

It's the same nonsense with modern boilers & heating and the other eco / green bumf...

Take a look at the [H] review. 390X downclocked to match 290X is exactly the same performance, so yeah, rebrand.

The reported 390X driver boosts on 290X are something different. Dunno what kind of wierd versioning AMD is doing with those, but the numbers are all over the place. They need to unify and get a single non-beta out soon.

Unfortunately, the boosts to the "old" cards seems to make the 3XXs seem an even worse value.

So does it look like the R9 370/380 could be saved with any driver tweaks from AMD in the future...

I am looking for a new card, the R9 380 could be nice, but performance is on par, or slower than an R9 280x or 285 it seems in most regards with an NVIDIA 960 having more head room for over clocking and using less power...

Back