Full ATX Case

Discussion in 'PC Hound System Builder' started by MidRanger, Dec 21, 2016.

1. MidRanger

MidRanger n00bie

Hi, I'm looking for full ATX case suggestions. I'm putting together a multipurpose system with an emphasis on gaming.

In the future I intend to water cool this system, so room for that is essential.

There are so many options, and many cases have a lot of conflicting reviews.

I've been looking at http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-atx-full-tower-cases/ for some ideas, all those cases seem really nice.
    Thank you for reading.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. Guarana [BAWLS]

Guarana [BAWLS] Bad in Bed

Cases are mostly opinion based.
    What features do you want in the case, other than the possibility of Watercooling?

And by WC, do you mean AIO solutions, or do you mean custom built with reservoirs, etc.

3. mhenley

mhenley [H]ard|Gawd

4. NoOther

NoOther 2[H]4U

I think it really depends on money, configuration, noise and taste. I have used a lot of cases over the years and done a lot of watercooling. My current case is a Corsair Graphite 780T, which I happen to like a lot, although it isn't the most quiet case, it is reasonable. Also there is the Corsair Obsidian 900D which is very popular, and I have built a few systems with that case. Another good one is the Cooler Master Cosmos II, which I have seen at a number of LAN parties, both the new one and the original Cosmos. A new kid on the block that seems to be getting a lot of attention is the be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900, but I don't have any personal experience with that one. Techspot has a decent article on cases which highlights some of these. But ultimately it comes down to what you like. I know people who love Lian-Li and just won't use any other case, and I have also gone the more custom route and gotten a special case made by Mountain Mods before.

5. MidRanger

MidRanger n00bie

Thank you all for your responses and expertise. For water cooling I'm probably not going AIO.

I'm going to look into all of these cool cases mentioned and pick one so I can start this build. Currently leaning towards the 780T. Happy holidays to everyone.

NoOther likes this.
  6. bjornb17

bjornb17 [H]ard|Gawd

Would you consider a desktop style case? I have the Streamcom F12C which is a very compact horizontal atx case. It is very minimalistic and so well designed that it accommodates my dual 980 TI's, and a 240mm AIO cooler (280mm would fit too actually), plus 3 hard drives. I have the cover off in the pics below but it has three large vents on top as well. Almost functions like an open-air case so cooling is pretty easy. Also, it is made from heavy gauge aluminum and it kind of acts like a giant heatsink. Downside, cost $250 and took a couple weeks to arrive from Germany but I love it and totally worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MidRanger

MidRanger n00bie

Very unique, never seen one like that before. I'd rather stick with a configuration I'm familiar with.

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe and Corsair 900D both seem like good options. Quite a difference in price.

8. NoOther

NoOther 2[H]4U

Nice, I will have to remember that for a possible HTPC build.

bjornb17 likes this.
  9. bjornb17

bjornb17 [H]ard|Gawd

Indeed! They make a much slimmer one too that I might use for HTPC purposes in the future.

10. MidRanger

MidRanger n00bie

I think the Define R5 is almost suitable, but I don't want that door on the front. Is there another case mid or full that is almost exactly lke the R5 without the door?

happy holidays

11. mhenley

mhenley [H]ard|Gawd

You can take the door off. Here is a video of them reversing it, but obviously rather than reattaching it you just leave it off.
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/s...ng-front-panel-door-of-Fractal-Define-R5-676/