Fujitsu N6420 vs Gateway NX860XL, need your advice

blue_heart71

Limp Gawd
I am looking to purchase one of the above laptops, does any of you have any experience or heard any good/bad thing about any of them?

Shared components between Gateway and Fujitsu
C@D 7200
2gb 667
DL DVD

Gateway pros
1920x1200 WUXGA
7900GS (256mb dedicated)
Bluetooth
can take 12 cell battery (do not mind the bump)

Gateway cons
80gb but 7200 (have to add large size for storing)
noisy and high temp
no media control buttons (yes I use them and addicted too ;) )
keyboard layout less comfortable

Fujitsu pros
kyeboard layout is very good
media control buttons
silent and no heat
more stylish
200gb but 4200 (need to add 7200 for system)
good speaker with subwoofer (fair enough for me)

Fujitsu cons
small battery 6 cells (no option to go higher)
ATI X1600 (256mb dedicated 256mb shared)
no bluetooth

Some benchmarks show Gateway is better.

Gateway with tax and shipping is $200 cheaper than Fujitsu but I can accept that if the Fujitsu is better in overall

Well, you get a better graphics sub-system with the gateway and higher resolution with the UXGA, so are you after graphics quality at all? Another plus is that you can put in a 12 cell battery, so even with the power hungry 7900gs you could probably get some decent battery life. And it has blue tooth (do you need blue tooth?) Comes with a faster hard-drive (higher performance). No media control on the gateway you said you like those buttons.

Sounds like a personal preference at this point, you've already listed all the pros and cons yourself and what you like and don't like. So its really up to you to decide which one you like best and which of the features you would rather have.

My personal preference would be the gateway just because of the graphics and the display being high res and plus the ability to use a 12 cell battery vs the 6 cell in the other laptop which isn't going to be very good on battery life.

I say get the Gateway laptop. While the Fujitsu does have a larger drive, you can't upgrade its video card. However, you can upgrade the hard drive on that Gateway. So while in the short run you have a decent gaming laptop but with a small hard drive, in the long run you can upgrade that hard drive to a much bigger one.

So basically what I'm saying is that Gateway has a better upgrade path than that Fujitsu.

Back