Fudzilla Confirms - Kepler coming after SI

IIRC this was expected.

TSMC has two lines/types of 28nm production. AMD is using the low power version which was expected to be in production months before the high power version, which Nvidia is using.

Looks like Nvidia's Timing is off again.

So if the 2 companies don't launch the same week, one of them is off timing? They are two different companies, and I thought this was already general perception of the situation about kepler and si.

"Other sources close to the company also wanted to underline that despite the fact that Nvidia might be late to the game, overall they expect that Kepler 28nm can win against what Southern Islands have to offer. As always with such claims, a grain of salt is a must. It is still too early in the game and it’s anyone’s guess who will win the first 28nm round. "

They dont even have samples, but it will be faster then southern islands!

Laugh

They said they EXPECT Kepler can win against SI, not that it will. A pretty logical thing to say about your own product months before anything is released even if it may not be true in the end.

They said they EXPECT Kepler can win against SI, not that it will. A pretty logical thing to say about your own product months before anything is released even if it may not be true in the end.

Still a stupid thing to say. It's as bad as AMD hyping up Bulldozer with no benchmarks...

PROOF we want proof my dear watson!

nvidia will have the more powerful single GPU card, they seem to always do? where AMD shines is price/performance and i bet AMD will win and keep winning in that area. i expect nvidias 28nm flagship single core card to beat out AMD's single core offering.

Still a stupid thing to say. It's as bad as AMD hyping up Bulldozer with no benchmarks...

Well I'm sure that AMD would say something positive about their product as well. All this stuff is off the record anyway since neither AMD or nVidia talk much about unreleased products.

It is all moot without games using the hardware properly. Or improper "sponsored" coding like the Crysis 2 tessellation fiasco. Just like there is a glut forming in game development, video cards seem to be in the same boat. They are powerful enough to run most things except maybe that last level of AA from a console port.

I keep hearing calendar week #38 = Bulldozer + first version of GCN as a Cayman replacement launch. High end GCN coming later.

So if the 2 companies don't launch the same week, one of them is off timing? They are two different companies, and I thought this was already general perception of the situation about kepler and si.

marketing and share holder wise its a big deal, it means that kepler will HAVE to be faster given the late release compared to SI. for consumers its not that big of a deal.

nvidia will have the more powerful single GPU card, they seem to always do? where AMD shines is price/performance and i bet AMD will win and keep winning in that area. i expect nvidias 28nm flagship single core card to beat out AMD's single core offering.

don't forget performance to power usage as well. given the differences in processes being used it looks like AMD will still hold the performance to power usage crown again.

That's the result of people reading too much of Charlie's BS over the years. Now whichever company launches second is automatically "late" as if their internal schedules are somehow dictated by what their competitor does.

That's the result of people reading too much of Charlie's BS over the years. Now whichever company launches second is automatically "late" as if their internal schedules are somehow dictated by what their competitor does.

If they are using the same fab and process; yes, the moment that process works, it is time to ship the chip. Anything after that is "late".

I understand that AMD and NVidia are using two different processes (if the same fab & node), so this isn't quite the same.

If they are using the same fab and process; yes, the moment that process works, it is time to ship the chip. Anything after that is "late".

I understand that AMD and NVidia are using two different processes (if the same fab & node), so this isn't quite the same.

Ship what chip? You mean the two completely different chips designed by completely different people with different strategic goals and design targets? Yes, of course they should ship the same week....lol.

No, but if one of them misses a major shopping time, like, say, the holiday season, while their competitor didn't, that is a big deal. Whoever comes out second isn't necessarily late, but if they come out months later or miss a key period of time - then yes, they would be late.

So according to Fudzilla, a card released later will be faster than a card released earlier?
Brilliant! Reminds me of "Geforce FX will be at least twice as fast as the Radeon 9700 Pro".

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphi...nies_Plans_to_Release_Kepler_GPU_in_2011.html

Of course that quite some months down the road i would also expect them to win ;-)
Nvidia denies plans to release Kepler in 2011 after confirming them?

It is all moot without games using the hardware properly. Or improper "sponsored" coding like the Crysis 2 tessellation fiasco.
This is shady as hell...

We do, but marketing departments generally disapprove of proof, or facts, or truth.

Last edited:
So according to Fudzilla, a card released later will be faster than a card released earlier?
Brilliant! Reminds me of "Geforce FX will be at least twice as fast as the Radeon 9700 Pro".

Nvidia denies plans to release Kepler in 2011 after confirming them?

This is shady as hell...

I don't get it, why did you quote the exact same article that i linked?

In any case if you actually READ the article, here is on the 2nd paragraph:

<<"Although we will have early silicon this year, Kepler-based products are actually scheduled to go into production in 2012. We wanted to clarify this so people wouldn’t expect product to be available this year," said Ken Brown, a spokesman for Nvidia, in an email statement.>>

Sure you can tap out your chip this year, but if you won't mass produce it until next year, then you will miss holiday season alright, and since SI is being pointed out as coming out in September, well, it does seem to be quite a few months later.

September, Octuber, November, December... yup a few months later.

The only good news about this is it appears that maybe, just maybe, Nvidia learned their lesson about the wood screws - and that we aren't as dumb as we look.. Time will tell if they really are being upfront with their customers.

I'm in the same boat as MANY people -- I want the next gen "now". As I've been using a GTX280 for years and years and years.

Simple fact is -- the person that gets my money is the one that can deliver a good product when they say they are goin to deliver it. Personally - I'm a huge fan of nVidia, but I'm not blind to the fact that the 7000 series will be dropping first. If it can offer excellent performance and not cost 600 dollars I'm in. As for AMD releasing the low power or the high power first - again it's all about money. I have a little over 300 dollars to spend if they want that money they better make it worth it. Hell, even if the 7000 series comes out, say it's the most amazing card ever totally rocks peoples faces off, if there are supply issues and you can't get one for 2 months, I'll be right back to looking at nvidia hardware (either 570 or Kepler)

Goal for me is some sweet sexy smooth gaming in Battlefield 3 - CUDA has always been a bonus for some of the things I do, but the allure of BitCoin mining has me enticed as well.

I think people going into rage fits over nvidia vs amd is hilarious. While the waiting sucks, it's the competetion that gives us the awesome stuff we have. .

A lot can happen in 3 months - very exciting times for us!

Question is, is AMD is releasing the low-end SI first like they did last time, and if so, what is the timing for the high-end SI parts. If that ends up being early next year, and Nvidia releases the high-end Kepler parts first, they could end up being out fairly close to each other.

Back