fud rumor that the 5870M is going to be a 5770?

Valset

Supreme [H]ardness
Just read it on fud so I am taking it with a grain of salt but this bugs me if true. one of the things I like about ATI is a reasonable naming system. (read not blatantly deceptive) This kinda kills that perception if true.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17117/1/

I might be nit picking here but if its a down clocked 5770 then it should be a 5770M

Both nvidia and ati do this with their mobile parts. The gtx260m is a g92 gpu same as the 9800 mobile, and 8800 mobile series of gpus. Fitting a highend desktop gpu and specs into a laptop is just too hard to do so they rebrand them in terms of their performance relative to the performance of the rest of the laptop gpu market.

So... Wouldn't the 4870X2 mobile still be better?

sure if you want to pay the 2k dollar premium for it and the fact that even while claims its a 4870x2 mobile that its not really anywhere close to the same performance..

but like bravO said.. this is nothing new.. been going on like this for years..

Both nvidia and ati do this with their mobile parts. The gtx260m is a g92 gpu same as the 9800 mobile, and 8800 mobile series of gpus. Fitting a highend desktop gpu and specs into a laptop is just too hard to do so they rebrand them in terms of their performance relative to the performance of the rest of the laptop gpu market.

Nvidia yes, but I was under the impression (wrong apparently) that the 4850M and the 4870M were just downclocked cards. in this case it will only have half the stream processors of the actual part its suppose to be and I thought that was new. it still sucks regardless though.

OP, I agree with you, but let's not forget the improved power rating.

Techgage said:
...but thanks to the improved power envelopes, these new cards have far superior performance/watt (about 2.2x last-gen).

LINK

did you look at the benchmarks, it shows the 5870/5770 almost doubling the performance of the 4870

Back