Fuad reckons Vista will need 4 gigs of RAM to play games

For the last time... Unused RAM is WASTED RAM. Vista does NOT need anymore RAM then you probably are running now, but will make use of more RAM if it is available.

Just stick with XP if you are so worried about it. This is the same exact stuff that was being whined about when XP came out....XP used too much RAM, XP had too much eyecandy...XP had bloatware like the "Photo Preview (who needs that anyways?), XP ran like crap, blah blah...look at where we are now...full circle.

Neeyo; when you start a program that needs more ram than is currently free, Vista releases the memory it was using for cache, to the program that needs it.. It can also page other things out to free up even more ram if needed.. They call it memory management.. It was covered in earlier posts..

I have to disagree with the naysayers, Vista is not a memory hog, at idle it uses about 27% of my 2 gigs when it first loads, after it does its prefetching i'm just short of a gig being used. Battlefield2 & Oblivian run fine, other then when I get out of the game (battlefield2) it takes a few seconds longer for the memory to be released, and my desktop is back in order, visually that is. I also am waiting for the end of the Ati betas but so far its nothing that will have me go back to Xp. Knock on wood.
I have not changed any of my game settings, since I switched over, using the same as in Xp.

Oh yeah, Vista is gonna be good. Can't wait for my copy to get here in February.

Met-AL said:
For the last time... Unused RAM is WASTED RAM. Vista does NOT need anymore RAM then you probably are running now, but will make use of more RAM if it is available.

Just stick with XP if you are so worried about it. This is the same exact stuff that was being whined about when XP came out....XP used too much RAM, XP had too much eyecandy...XP had bloatware like the "Photo Preview (who needs that anyways?), XP ran like crap, blah blah...look at where we are now...full circle.

QFT!!! Been telling people this for months now... be nice if someone listened, wouldn't it? :)

Here's Unreal Tournament 2004 on highest ingame settings with AA/AF turned up via Nvidia driver. Only using 1.01gb of RAM.
RAMusage.jpg

question, will 32bit Vista use all 4GB of memory? Or does it have the same problem and i'll have to get 64bit vista instead? :confused:

32 bit Windows has a memory cap of 4GB but... because of how the OS is written, applications can't address more than 2GB of RAM at any given time, hence the issues with having a ton of RAM and not being able to use it.

64 bit OSes have a far larger cap and applications can address pretty much every byte of it at any time, so for all practical intents and purposes, it's limitless.

sorry dont believe what fraud .. i mean fuad is saying..... if windows vista does NEED 4GB to perform good and play games... then Micro$oft is totally stupid.. they must of changed their target market to enthusiasts only and forgot about the general population of computer users. i feel that vista should run fine on 1gig and be awesome for gaming at 2gigs..... i cant claim this since i havnt tried vista but from what i have been reading 2gigs is more than enough..

computerpro3 said:
actually, he's right. With my machine (X2@2800mhz, 2GB ram, 7950GX2) company of heroes is slow but playable, but fear, graw, etc, simply aren't playable. And yes, my drivers are fine. Popped in another 2GB they run fine. Think about it, Vista takes up 1-1.2GB idle, of course you need more than .8GB to play a game. I have the release version of Vista becuase I'm a technet subscriber, and let me tell you, 4GB is neccessary if you want to run high settings.

Vista also turns off all of the GPU intensive systems when switching to a 3D application.

i would put the slower game play to non optimized drivers and the fact it is a new O/S.

Met-AL said:
Yaa, while they are at it, they should take all the pictures off the walls, remove all the plants, replace the carpet with beige and paint the walls beige, because you don't need that shit at work either. IT people can be very self righteous at times with a superiority complex. I would like to see an IT manager be responsible for turning a profit instead of hiding behind just being an expense to the company and staying in budget. Make them bastards perform for once.

The best IT department is one you dont even know is there. Just because their job may not show a direct effect relation to yours, doesnt mean they arent performing, chances are their work is making the company more money then what you do.

MrGuvernment said:
The best IT department is one you dont even know is there. Just because their job may not show a direct effect relation to yours, doesnt mean they arent performing, chances are their work is making the company more money then what you do.

Very well put. Just because you might not see a guy running around checking on the PCs doesn't mean someone isn't sitting in their office using some remote administration tools to keep an eye on you or your co-workers to make sure things are running well (and I don't mean spying on you).

Remote admin/maintenance stuff is a godsend to a lot of IT people since they can just do their job instead of getting stuck dealing with the biggest cause of most of the problems they're paid to resolve:

The user. :D

Question is, will 64bit Vista be better than 64bit XP? 64bit XP was basically abandoned. Practically no drivers and it wasnt the OS' finest moment... :confused: :( :D

It already is better, by leaps and bounds, and of course I'm talking about driver support.

As I said earlier, when XP64 was released, there was basically only AMD producing CPUs that could handle it, and AMD is still a drop in the bucket worldwide no matter what their demographic data would have you believe.

Microsoft needed to find out if a 64 bit OS could work for them and garner enough interest to put a 64 bit version of Vista into creation, and it succeeded in that respect - hence we have Vista in 64 bit versions coming (Business is already available, of course).

But it wasn't until Intel got behind the 64 bit side of things with the Core 2 Duo that stuff really started to happen. Intel has probably sold more Core 2 Duo processors since their introduction in the past 6 months or so than AMD has sold 64 bit capable CPUs over the past 2.5 years.

We have to move to 64 bit platforms sooner or later, it's just how things are. Once again, now that Intel and Microsoft are committed, it's sooner rather than later.

Hell, it's like, right freakin' now man. :D

Finn said:
18% CPU usage in-game? Or is that a screenshot.

In game.

It's a Core 2 Duo, and it has 3ghz of processing power per core to use, so I guess that makes sense. :)

MrGuvernment said:

In the company that I work at, there is no income generated by the IT department, but they do enable the rest of the company to function. It seems I mave have touched a nerve with my comment, I apologize for making a stereotypical comment about IT staff. And yes, I will be the first to admit that it's real eazy to be a armchair quarterback about this stuff when your career and ass is not on the line. Hence, why IT departments are usually not in any big hurry to go out and spend a boat load of cash on a new OS or other software product until it has been proven, no one likes to be out of a job.

Our IT staff of a 150 (just a wild, pull it out of my butt guess, based solely on the ones I know and guessing there are many more that I dont know) do a heck of a job with the obstacles of being a gobal company spread out in 100's of locations. (this comment is here just in case one of them is reading this.. j/k :) )

CptFalcon said:
Question is, will 64bit Vista be better than 64bit XP? 64bit XP was basically abandoned. Practically no drivers and it wasnt the OS' finest moment... :confused: :( :D

I think Windows XP64 failed because of the market for it. At the time, the only CPU out in mass quantities that could use it was the A64 while the market leader Intel and it's P4 didn't support 64-bit. Now with Intel having making them as well, 64bit will go off alot better this time around....knock on wood!

For sure, there are the lazy IT guys around, had them at the last company we had, network printer wouldnt work, took 2 days for them to fix it, and when you go down to see the guys, they turn off their monitors just as you catch a glimpse of them playing some game and they claim they are SO busy, or you would see them running around to computers fixing them cause they seemed to just have no clue.

Other IT's guys,it should be you don't see or know they exist, if you don't see them running around fixing things, they know what they are doing and all is running well :)

as in making money, in one sense the IT department makes money as they keep all of the essential systems up and running so people can do their jobs = money at some point up the ladder - dominoe effect.

I had to RMA my 2 gigs of ram, and i decided to try gaming on the 512mb stick i was using as a temp.

I was playing Medieval 2:total war on vista 32 bit final using C2D and x1900xtx with my dell 2407 at full res.

512mb ram and vista played games fine. was shocked really, maybe i shoulda taken a screenshot showing the framerates. My 2gigs came back already and im using it

vista memory management is a big improvement over XP - people seem to think that cause when Vista is idle and showing 500-800mb of page file used that it is going to keep using that all the time, they would rather just complain then learn about Vista instead when it shows that much usage.

MaDSpartus said:
I had to RMA my 2 gigs of ram, and i decided to try gaming on the 512mb stick i was using as a temp.

I was playing Medieval 2:total war on vista 32 bit final using C2D and x1900xtx with my dell 2407 at full res.

512mb ram and vista played games fine. was shocked really, maybe i shoulda taken a screenshot showing the framerates. My 2gigs came back already and im using it

Rose colored glasses lose effect when screenshotting.
:p

Back