FTP Server

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
I've never had to set up an FTP server before. I've got it set up and am able to access it, however I'm trying to give my FTP server a web address. So for example, I want out side clients to be able to access my FTP server by using www.ftp.blahblah.com. From there I want it to prompt them for their user names and passwords.

I hope this makes sense. Pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Huh?

If this is on a home connection, just find a dynamic dns server out there, and assign it a name. If you want people to use a web browser with it, just type ftp://blahblah.dyndns.org(or whatever you use) and then it will prompt for a UID/PW.

Huh?

If this is on a home connection, just find a dynamic dns server out there, and assign it a name. If you want people to use a web browser with it, just type ftp://blahblah.dyndns.org(or whatever you use) and then it will prompt for a UID/PW.

this will not be on a home server. it will be on a server that will have a public IP if that makes a difference. I'd rather not use dyndns if I can get a way with it.

here are my recommendations:

[1] place the ftp server in a firewalled dmz using a private address. (you don't want this ftp server to be sat inside your network if you are allowing connections in from the internet).
[2] surface the ftp to a public address using network address translation.
[3] setup a firewall rule to allow incoming connections.
[4] request your internet service provider setup forward and reverse dns lookups for something like ftp.yourdomain.com

once that it is done external users will be able to either use a web browser and point to ftp://ftp.yourdomain.com or they will be able to use a cli/gui based ftp client pointing to the same url.

[BB] Rick James;1031276146 said:
this will not be on a home server. it will be on a server that will have a public IP if that makes a difference. I'd rather not use dyndns if I can get a way with it.

atomiser gave pretty good advice. As far as contacting it, you can just use the IP, or if you have a domain and DNS control of it, create a link to it, or just use a name that is already pointed to the machine(if that exists.)

Well I got my FTP server up and going. I'm experiencing some slow connection time and lag outs. I have a 14MBps down and 14MBps up connection, so I doubt it's my internet service that is causing these slow downs. It will also randomly kick me out of the FTP connection saying "Connection timed out".

Any tricks for me to try?

Turn on the most verbose logging the ftp server has. What server are you using? It might be getting DOSed as there are lot of vulnerabilities in many FTP servers. I just setup a server today at work, and the first thing I did was to turn off Identification of the server itself. What I mean by that, is instead of saying <software name and version> it now just says it's IP address.

Turn on the most verbose logging the ftp server has. What server are you using? It might be getting DOSed as there are lot of vulnerabilities in many FTP servers. I just setup a server today at work, and the first thing I did was to turn off Identification of the server itself. What I mean by that, is instead of saying <software name and version> it now just says it's IP address.

I'm using Serv U FTP Server. I think I figured it out. What I found was something was using port 21 so the Serv U FTP server couldn't listen on port 21, but I still could access it?.? I made the server listen on port 22 to test my theory, I logged onto my FTP server using port 22 ( :22) and I was able to up load and download like a mother bitch. I then rebooted the server, made sure nothing was running on port 21, changed Serv U FTP back to listen on 21 and all is well. I'm rocking and rolling now. Now the question is. Do I buy the software? I'm really liking Serv U FTP server because it allows me to create home directory's off location, meaning not on the server. So if I have another server on my network with space, I can create directories there. The ease and use of it is nice, and it’s supposed to be one of the more secure servers out there; well from what I’ve read at least.

Oh, you're using windows. After looking over the past few days, I'm convinced you need to pay for a good ftp server on windows. That's the reason I setup a linux machine, since we didn't want to shell out the cash for one person to upload.

Oh, you're using windows. After looking over the past few days, I'm convinced you need to pay for a good ftp server on windows. That's the reason I setup a linux machine, since we didn't want to shell out the cash for one person to upload.

Yeah I'm using Win2k3. The FTP service that you can set up in Win2k3 I have found to be lacking. So I might be purchasing this FTP server software. Seems to be secure and very, VERY easy to use.

[BB] Rick James;1031348556 said:
I'm using Serv U FTP Server. I think I figured it out. What I found was something was using port 21 so the Serv U FTP server couldn't listen on port 21, but I still could access it?.? I made the server listen on port 22 to test my theory, I logged onto my FTP server using port 22 ( :22) and I was able to up load and download like a mother bitch. I then rebooted the server, made sure nothing was running on port 21, changed Serv U FTP back to listen on 21 and all is well. I'm rocking and rolling now. Now the question is. Do I buy the software? I'm really liking Serv U FTP server because it allows me to create home directory's off location, meaning not on the server. So if I have another server on my network with space, I can create directories there. The ease and use of it is nice, and it’s supposed to be one of the more secure servers out there; well from what I’ve read at least.

i also use serv-u -- never had a prob and it does what i want it to. One thing i do recommend doing is running your ftp server on some other port than 21 (like 2121). There are too many hackers/crackers (or whatever you want to call them) scanning that port. Just take a look at your serv-u log after a week or so of running the server, and i'm sure you will see where people have tried to login repeatedly.

+1 Filezilla, very easy to set up. although it doesn't have more advanced features it good for the price: $0.

i also use serv-u -- never had a prob and it does what i want it to. One thing i do recommend doing is running your ftp server on some other port than 21 (like 2121). There are too many hackers/crackers (or whatever you want to call them) scanning that port. Just take a look at your serv-u log after a week or so of running the server, and i'm sure you will see where people have tried to login repeatedly.

How much was Serv U? I'm still on the Corporate Trial mode. Im' not sure if you purchased it or not.

Back