FTC To Crack Down On Paid Celebrity Social Media Posts

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Aug 5, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

The Federal Trade Commission is cracking down on sponsored posts from celebrities on social media. I'll bet you money the celebs will find a loophole or workaround the minute the new rules are in place.

The agency will be putting the onus on the advertisers to make sure they comply, according to Michael Ostheimer, a deputy in the FTC’s Ad Practices Division. It's a move that could make the posts seem less authentic, reducing their impact. “We’ve been interested in deceptive endorsements for decades and this is a new way in which they are appearing,” he said. “We believe consumers put stock in endorsements and we want to make sure they are not being deceived.”

2. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Sadly, there are too many people who will buy shit just because "celebrities" are peddling it. Instagram is the Wild West on this front right now.

3. gxp500

gxp500 Gawd

That spokesman looks just like Kyle...

Btw it would be funny if twitter and instagram started charging users if their posts had #ad #sponsored in it, easy money.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  4. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

Just like how everything else usually has a disclaimer "paid for endorsement" or "paid for testimonial". I don't see a problem with this.

5. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

Yea, look at how many do that god awful cleanse diet just because Gwyneth Paltro said it was healthy.