FTC Suing D-Link For Failing To Properly Secure It Products

HardOCP News

[H] News
A lawsuit filed in a U.S. District Court in San Francisco by the Federal Trade Commission accuses D-Link of failing to properly secure its routers and webcams. The lawsuit also claims that D-Link did not secure users’ login credentials, but "instead have stored those credentials in clear, readable text on a user’s mobile device."

Thanks to the Internet of Things, consumers can easily share a photo with family or watch from the office what’s going on at home. But share a tax return with a hacker, have some creep silently gaze at the live feed from your family room, or have your personal conversations remotely recorded? (Shudder.) A lawsuit the FTC filed against D-Link, a global manufacturer of computer networking equipment and other connected devices, alleges that the company made deceptive claims about the security of its products and engaged in unfair practices that put consumers’ privacy at risk.

Damn....I guess it is time to go back to writing on papers with pens and use the snail mail.

Post Office Reboot 2.0

Damn....I guess it is time to go back to writing on papers with pens and use the snail mail.

Post Office Reboot 2.0

Actually easier to get your personal information from your mailbox than your network :)

Guess someone saw this year's federal budget and realized they are going to have to do some actual work in order to keep their nice paychecks and bonuses.

Internet of Things... lawyers ruin everything.

Good to see the FTC taking some proactive actions. I know very little about D-Links current products, but if what they are saying is true, then this is pretty damned awful. I'm glad I don't use consumer networking products.

Problems that shouldn't matter cause everyone should switch to DD-WRT or Open-WRT. Problem solved.

Problems that shouldn't matter cause everyone should switch to DD-WRT or Open-WRT. Problem solved.

You forgot "ditching the whole consumer router and just using pfSense on x86 hardware" :p

Everyone who knows what they are doing will, of course, but even on a forum full of enthusiasts like our own, I'm pretty sure most people on here just use whatever stock ROM their consumer router comes with.

Maybe we need to have UL start an internet division that tests and certifies IOT devices to make sure they at least meet minimum standards. Like not having unnecessary open ports, hard-coded passwords, etc.

Back