FTC Halts Spying By Rent-To-Own Computer Companies

2 Things:

1. It is spell wirescrossed.
2. As long as I *OWN* a computer WTF business is it of the FTC what I install on MY computer. When the f*cktard that is renting it owns it he can clean it.

I forgot everyone on [H] has >1mil in the bank and buys all their cars in cash lol

but ya rent-to-own places for things like laptops and TV's are a huge scam

I just know rent-to-own is bad. I think car leases are bad too though. I'm cheap like that though. I will buy something and run it into the ground. I have a year left on my cell phone contract and my friend asked me if I was going to get the Galaxy S3 (or whatever new flavor is out by then). I told him why should I when my S2 works just fine and has no scratches/dents/dings on it so far? That and considering it's still a good phone even at this juncture.

I just know rent-to-own is bad. I think car leases are bad too though. I'm cheap like that though. I will buy something and run it into the ground. I have a year left on my cell phone contract and my friend asked me if I was going to get the Galaxy S3 (or whatever new flavor is out by then). I told him why should I when my S2 works just fine and has no scratches/dents/dings on it so far? That and considering it's still a good phone even at this juncture.

Don't consider yourself "cheap".

Consider yourself practical ;)

Of course, you are the worse kind of American citizen....you're not helping the economy out at all! :D

http://www.pcrentalagent.com/esiteWay/Installing.htm

Have a 'wand' to disable the hardware component? or know a way to get around vPro?

Holy crap...

Q. I replaced the motherboard and the Agent still reports why does this happen without the chip?
A. Once installed, the Agent loads itself in all available firmware locations, and therefore you’d have to replace the power supply, mouse, and keyboard. Desktops also have firmware in the monitor. This is why you need to use the Wand by holding it over the unit (within a meter) for 30 seconds until the chip auto beeps. Then instruct it to clear after identifying yourself with your CDKey. See removing the Agent from firmware in the manual.

This sounds like complete horseshit...can anyone back me up here?

You can check the pinout for an ATX power supply here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX_power_supply#Power_supply

I don't see any lines that would allow communication to "firmware" in the power supply. I could be wrong though.

What I suspect they are doing is hiding some installer in one of the hardware components. Either tucked away in the case, or inside something like the CD drive or keyboard. I suspect anything connected via USB would be a prime candidate. I am not so sure about things like monitors and drives.

It's impossible to convert people that think like he does. To them it's always someone else's fault. Those evil rich people made a product and stole the poor people's money and forced them to take their product. I remember seeing Steve jobs clubbing poor people over the head and putting iPhones in their pockets.

Yeah it's not like Steve Jobs went out and conspired to price fix ebooks, right? :rolleyes:

i dont get it.. you can BUY a new computer for around $300 that would do 99% of what 95% of the people would need

But you can add an xbox 360 or PS3 for only 15 bucks a month!

IMO layaway if you can't afford it or get financed.

And on spying on customers it wrong but, if you have ever had to deal with reclaiming shit for Rent-A-Center then you would know why they did it.

Back