FT2, 700D, PC-A71FB, P193, Define R3 ?

Michaelius

Supreme [H]ardness
I have trouble deciding on my perfect case i want :)

What i'm looking for is:
- great airflow in GPU area
- quiet operation and noise absorption
- 12,5" space for biggest GPUs
- classy looks (steel and or aluminium no bling bling HAF-X / Antec Dark Fleet look alikes)
- bottom mounted

The case will be positioned below my desk - so the top of it will have around 1m from my head around 50 cm to the side

Raven2/Fortress2
+ great airflow and quiet fans
- using it means saying goodbye to any aftermarket coolers for GPU as the tests show the performance of long heatpipes suffer greatly in such orientation
- all the noise escapes through the top and gpu cooler is located closer to me than normally
- problems with getting version with AP181

Corsaid 700D
+ good looking front
+ nice cable managment
- not so great airflow
- open top

P193
+ good sound blocking
- all tri-cool fan for replacement
- won't fit high tower CPU coolers

Define R3
+ possibility to block front and top direct noise path
+ good airflow (if i put a bunch of Gentle Typhoons)
- requires removal of hdd cage for longer GPUs (i'd have to put one in scythe quiet base)

PC-A71FB
+ good airflow (I found 2x140mm front fan revision in one of shops here)
+ no direct noise path
- I'd have to buy insulation mats

Which one would you choose?

I'm in the same boat as you. Currently looking for a case so I can put together all the pieces for my sandybridge build.

- using it means saying goodbye to any aftermarket coolers for GPU as the tests show?

I'm not sure this is actually true. I remember reading posts in the FT02 thread here on [H] where some people did in fact have aftermarket coolers and the 90 degree orientation did not affect them negatively. Some people have problems. Some people don't. Could it be faulty heatpipes (wick problems?) accounting for the times when people are having problems? Perhaps.

Came across this recent thread, you'll notice the OP mentions the discrepancy as well at post #10.

http://www.overclock.net/ati-cooling/900251-gpu-coolers-actually-work-90-rotation.html

At any rate - I own the P182 and I'd probably go as far as saying that the P193 would never be a choice for me. I've been satisfied with the P182, but I was never very impressed with the look or supposed refinements of the P183. The research I've done on Fractal's cases has left me with the opinion that they are incredibly similar to the P180/182/183 with the addition of cable management grommets, but possible worse build quality overall.

This essentially leaves it to the FT02, 700D, and A71FB. The 700D's airflow concerns would be a problem for me (though the cable management is excellent), and I'm not fond of that particular Lian Li model, so my ultimate choice would be the FT02 from what you have listed. You should probably be able to get one with the AP181's with relative ease at this point. Most people who have bought them recently and reported in the FT02 thread have received them.

Spot on Vittra that the ft02 does fine with many aftermarket coolers. Check the ft02 thread. There's loads of pics of people using Corsair h50s, TRUE and even 2x 14cm fan beefcakes like the Noctua double whammy (ps- Noctua has a new cooler!)

Also, if you buy the Lian Li pc-a71f, be aware removing the front dust filter is a PITA that requires removing 5 screws each and every time you wanna clean it. It's been awhile since I did my research on this case, but pretty sure Lian Li still hasn't fixed this. On the flip side, the toolless clips in the more recent Lian Li cases are fantastic. Got 'em in my x2000f and they're badass.

Spot on Vittra that the ft02 does fine with many aftermarket coolers. Check the ft02 thread. There's loads of pics of people using Corsair h50s, TRUE and even 2x 14cm fan beefcakes like the Noctua double whammy

The issue with the FT02 is for VGA coolers, not CPU coolers.

Hmm apart from VGA coolers I'm also concerned with me siting almost on top of such case.

Anyway I'll drop P193 and fractal from my list.

So that leaves A71, 700D, FT2.

if you are not going to water cool, or ever water cool id get a raven or ft02. they have the best airflow out of any case you listed.

if you want to watercool, the 700d can fit a triple rad up top, and a dual rad down in the bottom chamber if you drill out 4 rivets for the HDD cage. there isnt many cases that can house this kind of watercooling internal.

so strictly aircooled - rv02/ft02
watercooling in your future - 700D

In the end i decided to go for Raven 2.

I really wanted Fortress 2 but couldn't justify 85 euro premium for FT2 with air penetrators versus RV2 with AP181. Should arrive next week.

Back