FT03 Vs. Corsair Carbine for Micro ATX build

hdgamer

Gawd
Currently using a Silverstone Temjin Series TJ08B-E which got excellent reviews for a micro-atx case from users on Newegg. I purchased this case and have had nothing but awful cooling for any graphics cards I put in here. CPU cooling and hdd cooling has been excellent but when my graphics cards hit 90 degrees in here and 74 degrees in my FT02 case (which is my main computer) I have to say this case isn't cutting it. Wanting a smaller footprint with better cooling capablities and quietiness since this case will be in a small bedroom and looking to cut the temps while gaming especially since my room turns into an oven in the summertime.

Any recommendations and experience with these two cases?

Not sure if this will be helpful or not, but I do have an FT03 Mini(the ITX-only version of the FT03) for an HTPC/Gaming setup. It only has a single 140mm intake fan at the bottom for ventilation which I have blowing through the rad for my H60i I have on my cpu. Have an i5 3470, ssd, hdd, optical drive, and a GTX 670 stuffed inside. It's pretty quiet for the small bedroom I have it in and temps are pretty good considering there are no side vents on the case for the gpu to get more air. The 670 tops out ~75C from a few hours of gaming according to GPU-Z logfile. I'm not sure videocard your running, but since the FT03 is a bigger case than my mini with better ventilation options, I'd say it would be a good choice :)

While I'd love to get the ft03 after looking at it for a while I'd also have to invest in a slot loading bluray player and a modular psu. This is gonna cost a lot of money where as I could just pick up the corsair for $120 and sell my current case for almost half that. Hope the corsair is good. I know silverstone makes great cases too as the FT02 is serving me quite well after a few years and builds. Still love that case but it's just too much for my bedroom... lol If only they made the same design cut down for Microatx builds that don't need more than 2 hdd bays.....

I have had the FT03 for a couple years and I love it.

I ran 680SLI and now 780SLI along with a 2600k that I've run as high as 5.0Ghz - all without anything overheating.

Last year I got a good deal on a slot load external blu-ray drive that I stripped out and installed it into the case so it would feel finished. I think I've used it once, for a driver disc, but hey - at least I have it.

I think this case makes the most sense when you need the smallest desktop footprint possible and you have plenty of room vertically. Since the cables all come out the top, you can push it against a wall.

That said, I'll probably go to the FT05 which looks like a nice compromise between the FT03 and the FT02 in terms of footprint.

Here are some pics if you're interested: http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/5205304

Hmph... I've built in a TJ08-e before and got decent cooling, What are the system specs? I'd be curious especially if the video card was a reference design or an AIB cooler.

Other options worth a look... well I am running the 350D and it's not too bad. I replaced the factory fans though with 2 couger 140mm's. I have a reference GTX 780 Ti, I wish it had a AIB cooler I think it would be very quiet if it did.

I've had multiple builds in here. Right now since this is my secondary bedroom computer I have my Z77 Asus maximus gene with an overclocked 2500k to 4.5 on a 212 evo. 1 300gig Velociraptor, and a Zotac GTX660ti. I replaced the 660ti with my Evga 780ti with the ACX cooler and still was getting much hotter temps and noisier fan than my FT02 was in the other room. My room heats up pretty quickly because of the temps coming out of the case. I'm liking the idea of the FT03-05 much better these days but think I will hold out for the Ft05 in the end.

The TJ08-E was used in multiple rooms with different builds and so far hasn't lived up to what I had hoped for VGA cooling. It's a great case no doubt, but the front fan doesn't seem to blow enough air at the gpu quick enough to dissipate the heat.

I've had multiple builds in here. Right now since this is my secondary bedroom computer I have my Z77 Asus maximus gene with an overclocked 2500k to 4.5 on a 212 evo. 1 300gig Velociraptor, and a Zotac GTX660ti. I replaced the 660ti with my Evga 780ti with the ACX cooler and still was getting much hotter temps and noisier fan than my FT02 was in the other room. My room heats up pretty quickly because of the temps coming out of the case. I'm liking the idea of the FT03-05 much better these days but think I will hold out for the Ft05 in the end.

The TJ08-E was used in multiple rooms with different builds and so far hasn't lived up to what I had hoped for VGA cooling. It's a great case no doubt, but the front fan doesn't seem to blow enough air at the gpu quick enough to dissipate the heat.

That's a pretty big jump GPU wise, but a nice cooler and still same issue. I think you are wise for watching the FT05, you are not the only one watching that one. :D

Only other thing you may consider for the TJ08, although I don't know if it would make a big enough difference to warrent, is getting the newer revision of the Fan, the AP182 I think it is, It's a little spendy (Can be found for 30 bucks or so) but supposedly they have made improvements at moving more air at a lower RPM, and it's actually the fan that will be in the FT05.

I don't think an ACX type cooler is going to perform well at all in an FT03/05

I'm interested in going back to full ATX and possibly going with Tri-SLI next gen - maybe not, but I want the option.

In any case, you should use the stock Nvidia coolers or something similar in these cases - ACX and the 690 style are going to be a problem.

Back