FSP Windale 6 CPU Air Cooler Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
FSP Windale 6 CPU Air Cooler Review - FSP is a very new brand when it comes to CPU air coolers and is entering a market that is highly competitive and seeded with others that have been designing air coolers for quite some time. Its Windale 6 cooler features six direct contact heatpipes, a 120mm fan, and what FSP says is an "optimized fin design." But does it cool?

This thing needs a redesign. Blocking DIMM slots in this day and age is a non-starter. And the thing is, FSP obviously knew their HSF was going to block your DIMM slots and just didn't care.

Just looking at it you would think it will cool alot better, but it's all show and no go. That black powder coating makes it look nice tho. A shame.

"FSP obviously knew their HSF was going to block your DIMM slots and just didn't care."

This^^ Why, in this day and age after years of prior art anyone would think of not addressing this constraint FIRST and NOT proceeding with any further implementation until it's addressed, is utterly inexcusable. Fjucktards.

Nice review!

I have a Spire Thermax Eclipse that has these exact same issues. Stupid rubber thingies that slide down these holes that you stick through the fan mounting holes. Epic fail. I ended up using zip ties after 2 of them broke while I was trying to mount the fans.

They didn't offset the fin head so it blocks the first RAM slot. Fortunately I was too poor to have 6 sticks, so I just used the 3 slots for my triple channel RAM.

It is hard to believe these guys never read a cooler review before making this a real product.

Nice review.

My 3 CM Hyper 212+'s don't appear to have any fear of removal from this guy. And they were $25 or less each after rebate.

I have a couple of thoughts on this cooler.

1. With a chip like Ryzen 7 or one of the new intel X series with larger die size i would think the chip would contact more of the heatpipes?

2. Since the cooler did much better at overclocked speeds i would think a higher TDP chip like the ones mentioned above would do well?

Blocking the ram slots might be a deal breaker though imho

"FSP obviously knew their HSF was going to block your DIMM slots and just didn't care."

This^^ Why, in this day and age after years of prior art anyone would think of not addressing this constraint FIRST and NOT proceeding with any further implementation until it's addressed, is utterly inexcusable. Fjucktards.
This constraint is not a cooler clearance problem as much as it is the direct result of idiotic 'heat spreaders' on RAM that are not needed and serve no purpose except to interfere ,with cooler and fan cleanance, not the cooler and/or fan clearance and/or spacing above motherboard. Get rid of the fuu fuu heat spreaders and DDR4 RAM standard PCB height is 31.35mm (DDR3 is 30mm) and will fit under almost all coolers and fans. The only potential problem is cases with less than 166mm CPU clearance with coolers using 140mm fan over RAM. 140mm fan only leaves us with 30mm clearance for RAM. DDR4 PCB specification is 31.35mm tall. But this problem is only with 140mm fans in cases with 166mm or less CPU clearance.

Back