FSFT Only Users Not Contributing to the Community - You Will Be Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me the real problem here are the entitled assholes who use [H] only as a free service to sell their stuff, show no respect/recognition to the moderation team, then expect help when something goes wrong with their sale.

The proper solution is to ban these users, can't argue with Kyle on this one.

The fuck? How often do you see users here disrespecting mods in public? [H] clearly states "[H]ard|Forum is NOT RESPONSIBLE for any loss due to any sale or exchange of any item in the For Sale / Trade forum." Nobody expects [H] or anybody as a matter of fact, to "help" them if sales goes wrong. Heck, even if they wanted to, they're literally powerless if the person was adamant in keeping your item/money. People here understand transactions here are based on a trust system (via heatware mainly).

Okay. Clear as day for me now. All good. I did read the original posts and still didn't feel like it was 100% clear, so thanks for the response. Maybe I overthink/overanalyze the phrasing/words that are posted, if so that's a bad habit of mine, sorry.
I thought I was clear. :)

If you only use HardForum for your personal marketplace, you will soon be banned.

Okay. Clear as day for me now. All good. I did read the original posts and still didn't feel like it was 100% clear, so thanks for the response. Maybe I overthink/overanalyze the phrasing/words that are posted, if so that's a bad habit of mine, sorry.
That said, it is not like you have to login to read anything here. And sub-holders will not be given the boot. If you are just lurking HardSteve and I can handle that.

Have been posting on Megalith's never returning threads on gen may.
Not sure if that counts.
Haha been to hardsteve few times but at end of each visit I had to head elesewhere to find a good video to start magic.
Cheers

Reviewing my post history is sad; I really haven't contributed at all since my account got re-created in 2004 after I came back from that other GenMay. I get it, Kyle; thanks for running a community that I used to love but have apparently forgotten.

Last edited:
Hopefully me posting deals to Hot Deals and commenting on them in the past year is enough to not get me banned....

If I don't get banned, how do I sign up for GenMay? *edit* I'm a n00b, I figured it out in the FAQ. Not sure how soon the change takes place... nvm I see GenMay now. YAY for access to the funny pics thread (again)! I somehow had free access for a few months when they were switching providers for the site or something but that has since been removed.

Last edited:
Why do you worry about logging in and having an account if you do not post anyway. My actions will only keep you from using the forum for selling your hardware.

Buy a subscription to Genmay. He just said sub-holders will not be given the boot. Its $5 a year.

I would add this to the list.

If you have sold more than $100 worth of goods and do not know what GenMay is, the ban hammer will be striking you :D

I paid the lifetime fee a while back because I use the FS/FT forum a lot
I did the same. I haven't been posting as much as I'd like to be, though. I really should, though, because I'm loving the various subforums, such as the car and breadbox.

I hope I don't fall into the banned area I don't do much more around here but poke around and read occasionally leaving a post usually buying something, but not asking since I became to solve breadwinner in my home.
This is the only forum I frequent I have used anadtech but very rarely.

What if we could somehow incorporate some form of live signature text that would keep track of the users contributions to DC projects? While I know images are forbidden from signatures, due to the site's clean design layout wanting to remain intact. Just thinkin' outside the box plus trying to get new members on the team. Haha. Sorry if I'm stepping out of bounds.

What if we could somehow incorporate some form of live signature text that would keep track of the users contributions to DC projects? While I know images are forbidden from signatures, due to the site's clean design layout wanting to remain intact. Just thinkin' outside the box plus trying to get new members on the team. Haha. Sorry if I'm stepping out of bounds.
I am not spending the resources to make checks for that.

OK, I think we have a solution here that will work for everyone. This is not coded yet and the forum software does not have support for the database search we need. Here is the gist of it.

We will run a search every month for those using our boards for FSFT. If it is decided that you are doing this, we will reach out to you, and require you buy a yearly sub. Should be pretty simple once we go through the first month.

I think it's a solid solution for the apparently large number of lurkers that probably aren't selling piles of stuff but just here and there. Even if I don't fall in this category, I'd still be willing to sub for this site since I've been using it off & on. Would this be something new or utilize the patron/mayhem?
Just use the current subscription system.

I don't think I'm in fear of myself here obviously, although my activity has steeply declined since I used to help write guides and stuff, funny how life does that to ya. That being said, I do feel like the FS\FT forum is a huge part of this community, I know I've gotten people to be members here just because of that. Especially back when, in my opinion, the Folding FS\FT was actually better than the main one, although that time has way passed lol.

But I do feel like the most recent post with a plan you've made sounds like a pretty good one. I like the idea of preventing people from SELLING on here I'm just worried about the folks that don't post much that only BUY stuff here. I'm sure you guys have better visuals on how many issues come in in relation to the people that buy and lurk but in my eyes that is still part of the community. But like I said you guys have a better view then us lower folks do so eh, could be totally wrong there.

On a side note, you posted just use the current subscription system, maybe it's because I've already got teh genmay for life thing but what is this subscription you speak of? Call me a noob but I don't recall a subscription, unless you're talking about Patreon. I wouldn't mind tossing a few bucks to the cause, already have a few shirts and a coffee mug, I'd be down for helping out my favorite online community. I don't run a store front here and I'm not constantly selling but over a 12 month period I'd say that every year I'm not deployed overseas I sell, or at least buy, more than 12 things, so I could see the justification in pulling my weight if needed. Care to help a noob out?

Honestly, my favorite thing is probably the freebies thread on there, I've sourced a few random things over the years to people on there as they've been able to hook me up with an odd-ball thing once or twice. Only place I've found online quite like it, granted I'm not looking but I like [H] so much that I've gotten my own name tag, why would I bother looking anywhere else? Then I'd have to get new forum tshirts, and that's not gonna happen lol

On a side note, you posted just use the current subscription system, maybe it's because I've already got teh genmay for life thing but what is this subscription you speak of? Call me a noob but I don't recall a subscription, unless you're talking about Patreon.

Just to clear this up, if you have access to GenMay you're good to go, since it now requires a sub again (was previously open to all members for a while).

If someone doesn't have GenMay access, Kyle covered how to purchase a sub in post #159.

Can't see post numbers in mobile but will look up on desktop later, thanks

OK so I have not read every single reply in this thread. But to me it seems like its all about the money. I understand it takes money to run a site like this and while I do not post alot in the other sections (mainly cause when I used to look the issues had already been addressed and I had nothing new to add or it wasnt in my realm of knowledge at the time), I feel charging ppl to use your forum is not what should be expected in this type of a forum. I'd suggest getting more advertisers in here and doing like other forums do and put up a block not allowing viewing if they use an ad blocker. TweakTown does this and it seems to be working for them. Yeah they also have a Patreon thing which I dont quite understand yet but assume its a pay for special privileges thing. Also alot of you tubers are doing it as well, just speaks to greed imho as they get paid by advertisers and you tube royalties and the likes not to mention items are a lot of times given to them and forums for review so its not like you have to pay for all of them. If it were mine I'd say well unless your giving me said item (whether to keep or return) I'm not reviewing it period. I'm still so on the fence about this as a long time poster here.

OK so I have not read every single reply in this thread. But to me it seems like its all about the money. I understand it takes money to run a site like this and while I do not post alot in the other sections (mainly cause when I used to look the issues had already been addressed and I had nothing new to add or it wasnt in my realm of knowledge at the time), I feel charging ppl to use your forum is not what should be expected in this type of a forum. I'd suggest getting more advertisers in here and doing like other forums do and put up a block not allowing viewing if they use an ad blocker. TweakTown does this and it seems to be working for them. Yeah they also have a Patreon thing which I dont quite understand yet but assume its a pay for special privileges thing. Also alot of you tubers are doing it as well, just speaks to greed imho as they get paid by advertisers and you tube royalties and the likes not to mention items are a lot of times given to them and forums for review so its not like you have to pay for all of them. If it were mine I'd say well unless your giving me said item (whether to keep or return) I'm not reviewing it period. I'm still so on the fence about this as a long time poster here.

Looking at your post history I can see why you are a little nervous...

I do believe you have missed the point entirely. He WAS going to just flat-out drop the Banhammer on everyone. Now if your HardForum postings are almost exclusively in this forum, it will require a subscription as opposed to just getting banned. If you fall into this category, Kyle will tell you in a message. If they are not, your free standard membership will continue to function as it always has been.

This change was essentially asked for by pretty much everyone in prior posts.

Looking at your post history I can see why you are a little nervous...

I'll admit I'm not one to contribute much in the other forums as I used to back in the day. After all by the time I get on their most of the posts have already been answered with an answer that I would most likely recommend and then I'd be the 5th or 6th person to say the same thing, which imho is spamming and frowned upon. I'll start viewing the other sections again and see if I can be helpful without looking like a spammer.

I do believe you have missed the point entirely. He WAS going to just flat-out drop the Banhammer on everyone. Now if your HardForum postings are almost exclusively in this forum, it will require a subscription as opposed to just getting banned. If you fall into this category, Kyle will tell you in a message. If they are not, your free standard membership will continue to function as it always has been.

This change was essentially asked for by pretty much everyone in prior posts.

maybe I missed it not sure still on the fence on it. But I disagree I dont think they asked for it per-say but rather suggested it as a solution to the banhammer on all methodology proposed by Kyle. As i said I used to be a large contributor back in the day (post wise) but I had a desk job then which allowed me to be on the computer doing anything I wanted ( I owned the business lol) so I could be more productive. Now a days I have a real job that keeps me outside and off anything I can post with. Plus as I said above when i did look most items had already been handled.

I wonder how this will affect folks like me, who are simply infrequent users. I've been around since 2004 but only have ~400 posts total, largely in 'spurts' then large gaps in-between. I would wager that potentially somewhere in my post history there is likely a month where my only posts were in FS/FT. I post in other forums occasionally - generally answering questions in general hardware and such - but if there's nothing there I can answer for people then I just don't post.

I suppose there's probably not that many people with my posting pattern, and it's a problem I'll deal with if it crops up.

I hadnt seen a price put out there yet. But truthfully a small yearly fee wouldnt hurt much

5/year 15/lifetime

Lifetime is a hotdog smoking deal.

Cash grab? You don't have to pay anything to not be banned, simply participate in the community.

The point as I interpret it is to foster a great community by getting rid of those who are simply here to profit or pilfer.

I've gotten so sick of the nVidia trolls disrupting most videocard-related threads here that I don't bother to do much more than like posts unless it's something so enraging/interesting I feel the need to reply.

At first it was entertaining, but I don't have the time anymore for the bullshit. Even worse when a certain mod keeps posting pro-XBox and anti-Nintendo shit in front page news unabashedly. Kinda feels like I'm in some technological version of Fox News sometimes with the blatant biases.

If that warrants a ban and the ad revenue isn't enough for the site to stay afloat, so be it. I can take my near-daily 50+ lurking clicks elsewhere, just as the banned buyers and sellers who contribute to your site will. Maybe look at why people are lurking instead of being so quick to get defensive. I used to post a helluva lot, but can't remember when I posted in a non trading thread except to thank cageymaru for his excellent news service.

HINT: the shit gets old quick

You guys realize the yearly sub is only like $5, right? I mean, if you spend all your time in FS/FT I feel like you should have $5 to put back into the site.

It seriously just seems like some people in this thread want to bitch, just to bitch. I have no idea how Kyle has the fortitude to simply not ban them after stupid shit like this:

OK so I have not read every single reply in this thread. But to me it seems like its all about the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back