FS -- Three RX Vegas -- fair prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
I'm frustrated with Vega. I'm going back to Nvidia.

I had a pair of Fury X and they were very near perfect cards, so I expected the Vega to be of the same bloodline.

I bought a liquid cooled Vega to replace the Fury X cards with the intent to buy a second Vega LC down the line. Big mistake. I bought two Vega 56 to mine with on the expectation we'd see some sky high hash rates - which was a big marketing lie. The Vega 56 aren't really proportionally faster than the RX580 to make up for their cost/electricity use)

Unfortunately Vega's drivers are still very much in beta state IMO --- 2 months after release. (at least if you use multimonitor)
  • 1/2 the time with driver updates Google Chrome pauses for 1 second when a video loads. AMD's fixed this issue, and then broken it again with driver updates.
  • Freesync doesn't work in Eyefinity with multiple monitors, and it works, or doesn't work, on a single monitor intermittently based on whatever driver you happen to install. Id say it works less often than it does with the different driver variants.
  • Bezel correction doesn't work in Vega drivers yet - (it's been two months AMD -- c'mon).
  • They supposedly got crossfire working, but when I tried to crossfire my two Vega 56 I got barely better than a single card score in Futuremark, and 10FPS in Star Wars Battlefront (One of my favorite games for Eyefinity).
  • Be prepared for the occasional (okay more than occasional in PUBG) bug in games where Vega cards crash - AMD will probably legitimately fix these issues - are you patient enough to wait for them to fix it? I'm not
  • Don't even try PUBG at 1440p. Sure you get 90FPS and it'll be fine, until you get 8FPS randomly once or twice a map in the important firefight where you'll die -- especially while in a vehicle.

I've had my fill. It's time to bail. They'll get this fixed -- but I won't own these cards when they do.

I paid $812 for the liquid cooled unit on 8-18-2017, and $510 each for the two Vega 56 on 8-28-2017 - all from newegg. I've not registered them. You can do so and get the warranty. I'd say I've used each card about 50% of the time I've had them as I've been swapping back and forth between mining and gaming on the Vega 56. (undervolted to -24% power target). I didn't mine on the Vega 64 more than just a few hours to test it.

My prices best ebay and I'll include the original boxes, all accessories, and the original receipt.

PRICES DROPPED $15 - 25.

Sapphire Vega Limited Edition Liquid Cooled (aluminum) - $750 - now $725 **** SOLD on eBay for $700.

Sapphire Vega 56 - $450 - now $435 --***** SOLD on eBay for $460

PowerColor Vega 56 - $450 - now $425 - ****SOLD on eBay - this card failed on me today happenstance -- which is the last straw. I'm sending it back to PowerColor for an RMA, whenever their website actually begins to work (it's down right now). I'll be selling the RMA card I get back -- so the power color card is not available at this precise time - but it will be available in a couple weeks??? when I get the replacement back.

I realize this is a negative selling ad and not the best way to sell things -- however, I'm of the opinion anyone who wants these cards should be aware of the frustrations I've experienced with Vega as a day one adopter and AMD loyalist. AMD supporters are loyal to a fault - and I've held my tongue for the most part while getting increasingly frustrated with this nearly $2k of beta driver laced product line. Moral is still pretty high in the owners thread, and I suppose if you just use a single monitor - most of these problems are probably not as pronounced/present. However, I have three monitors, and I want to use them.

If you look back at my post history you'll see I was an avid AMD supporter with the AMD Fury X, which were truly an excellent card - both software and hardware... (though I did buy into the Fury X line when they were about a year old - so maybe that's why I dodged frustrations with that product line)

I do believe AMD will get the drivers straightened out for Vega - lots of years of history proves they will. I'm just not going to participate in this nonsense anymore in the meantime. I have limited time for gaming and I don't want to be fighting issues instead of just playing the game for the next six months. My time is more valuable than that. Maybe yours is too? That's why I'm giving full disclosure...

Last edited:
Bump for fair Vega prices.

I've actually had good experiences so far mining with my Vegas. Just curious, were you mining ETH? I get really good hashrates vs my RX 480 mining monero. So if anyone is interested in mining monero with them I would give them a look.

GLWS!

Bump for fair Vega prices.

I've actually had good experiences so far mining with my Vegas. Just curious, were you mining ETH? I get really good hashrates vs my RX 480 mining monero. So if anyone is interested in mining monero with them I would give them a look.

GLWS!
Yes primarily eth.
I was mining with nicehash.

At -23 or -24% power draw and 935mhz memory, with the August 23 beta mining drivers, I could mine 38 MH/s using claymore daggerhashimoto through nice hash, but the other algos won’t work at that reduced power level and so you have to go to about -5% reduced power level to have no trouble running all the algos.

38mhs at -23% power I got really isn’t bad at all, but it couldn’t dual mine at those settings, and I am currently having trouble mixing the card in my 1080ti mining rig because when the AMD card is present the Nvidia cards won’t initialize to begin mining. That’s a new bug introduced in the lates 2.0.x version of nice hash. So for now the Vega 56 card is unplugged.

I don’t think the increased heat of running nearly full power was worth it for running the other algos. You might make 45 cents more per day, but at increasesed heat, fan speed, and less reliability as it switches algos. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to want to dual mine at the -23% power target. My RX580 mine anything, at less power use. They are 30 or 31 million hashes on the eth side + dual mining at about the same or less power use —but the drivers seem more mature in the RX580. For instance I can run them with Nvidia cards and the Nvidia cards will still initialize. Seeing that the RX580 card is half the price and easier to deal with - that’s my recommendation for mining if starting from scratch.

‘This shit sucks, don’t buy it!’

-op

LOL, glws!

Hey - just trying to be honest. Honesty before personal gain...

Looks like newegg dropped their prices since I posted this - lame.

let's knock
$25 off all prices above.

I'm putting them on ebay tonight. The eBay buyers won't be warned about buggy drivers like my fellow hardforum peers.

Not trolling. Just wondering how $725 is fair considering that's more than a 1080ti but 20-30% slower. (1080 speed)

It's fair compared to what there selling for on Newegg! What do expect him to give it away? Would you give it away?The guy bought and now he decided to sell it. And more likely taking a lost to!!

Not trolling. Just wondering how $725 is fair considering that's more than a 1080ti but 20-30% slower. (1080 speed)
I paid $813 for it through newegg.
You can’t buy the liquid cooled variants new right now as they are out of stock.

So close to $100 off.

But your question is a fair question

The answer is that some enthusiasts want AMD, primarily for freesync. (Myself included) Which is ironic because as I mentioned above — freesync is intermittently broken right now with the driver updates. Without freesync working reliably I have no need of an AMD card personally.

I’m open to offers, but it should sell for around $775 or so without issue on eBay, so $725 sounds decent to me here as a ask. I put it on eBay tonight too.

I paid $813 for it through newegg.
You can’t buy the liquid cooled variants new right now as they are out of stock.

So close to $100 off.

But your question is a fair question

The answer is that some enthusiasts want AMD, primarily for freesync. (Myself included) Which is ironic because as I mentioned above — freesync is intermittently broken right now with the driver updates. Without freesync working reliably I have no need of an AMD card personally.

I’m open to offers, but it should sell for around $775 or so without issue on eBay, so $725 sounds decent to me here as a ask. I put it on eBay tonight too.

Agreed but ebay does charge you 10% fee. On those rx 56 it will be around 40+ dollars. Pass that on here lol. Sent you a pm.

I put them up on eBay last night. I have a nice sellers ebay bucks coupon right now for 8% of sale price back in ebay bucks. So that’ll help.

Got a $460 offer on the sapphire 56 within a couple hours. That’s reasonable.

Got a $350 offer on the watercooled variant last night. Ha.

Didn’t list the powercolor on eBay cause to many unknowns on the RMA.

I put them up on eBay last night. I have a nice sellers ebay bucks coupon right now for 8% of sale price back in ebay bucks. So that’ll help.

Got a $460 offer on the sapphire 56 within a couple hours. That’s reasonable.

Got a $350 offer on the watercooled variant last night. Ha.

Didn’t list the powercolor on eBay cause to many unknowns on the RMA.

Good luck with your sale and the honesty is appreciated. I had a friend do a new build with Vega who mostly plays PUBG at the moment and has been nothing but unhappy. I am hoping that Destiny 2 will run better for her next week or I imagine she will be taking the same steps you did and sell her Vega card.

Accepted the offer for $460 from the ebay buyer on the Sapphire Vega 56 card.

still two left.

Okay

Sold the watercooled card for $700

Only one left is the powercolor which is in process of RMA. I’ll let you know when it’s back.

Wow dunno how I missed this would've bought the V56 for $435 easy. I have four of these for mining and agree total PITA. BUT they're also really good when you get them set up.

Wow dunno how I missed this would've bought the V56 for $435 easy. I have four of these for mining and agree total PITA. BUT they're also really good when you get them set up.
Define really good.

I didn’t figure out how to tune them well perhaps

I did 935mhz memory and dropped power target and increased fan speed. About the best I could ever manage was 37mhs with the mining drivers for eth. Most other algorithms through nicehash are generally unstable. Where as something like the 1080ti dual mines, uses less electricity (in my tunes = 175 watts from the wall with the 1080ti), and can mine nearly every algorithm through nice hash and make ~50% more gross profit per day. For instance

Here is one of my 1080ti vs one of my Vega 56. Both with a basic, standard tune. Cut loose with nicehash for 1080ti, restricted (for stability) with Vega 56 to etherum (claymore daggerhashimoto)

Typically it’s between $2-$3 per day for the 1080ti and about 1.80 per day with the Vega.

Is that what you are seeing?

47C8EEC9-98A4-4B12-AC7E-46E05CCA77D7.jpeg

Bumb for looking and to express interest in the last one.

I'm a single monitor AMD fanboy with a 1900x1200 that I'm looking to keep pegged at 60hz. I don't mine as all my spare compute goes to various DC projects like Asteroids. So I think I avoid all your pitfalls.

If the first dibs falls through I am interest if I don't find a good deal before you are willing to sell. However, since I haven't seen one in the last 6 months of looking I don't think it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back