FS: Thinkpad T40 2373-75U $240 OBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

lithium726

[H]F Junkie
I have one of my old T40’s up for sale, Model 2373-75U.

The laptop is in pretty good condition… First, the Good.
Nice XGA screen, minor blemishes. It is completely clear while on, there are some key rub marks while it is off. It has 512MB Ram, a 40GB HDD, and a 1.6Ghz/2MB Dothan Pentium M Processor, this was an upgrade. It has a basically brand new IBM OEM 9-cell battery, and I can easily get a 6-7 hour charge out of it with the brightness down and light loading. One thing about the battery, it has some minor cosmetic damage on the right side, it’s cracked open a bit. I covered it with some electrical tape and it does not affect functionality at all. It has a Windows XP Pro COA on it and the R&R will be run before shipping. The casing has no damage and the lid is in decent condition with some marking on it. The hinges are good and there is no screen play. There are no gouges. It has an Intel 2100B wireless MPCI card in it, so it is a Centrino notebook. All the ports work, it passes the IBM diagnostic program completely (I have pictures to verify). It has a DVD drive.

And now the one bad thing… It has the ATI Mobility Radeon 7500, and it recently decided to start with the common ‘chip is no longer soldiered completely to the board’ symptoms. Sometimes it won’t boot, sometimes it freezes up in windows. Most of the time it will work fine as long as you don’t move it. I have temporarily fixed this by putting some stuff inside the casing to put pressure on the video chip (top and bottom) to keep it mated to the board and this has worked fairly well, it boots up most of the time and generally doesn’t freeze anymore, but the board will still probably need to be replaced at some point. If you can find a cheap one this will be a very cheap, good condition laptop with an awesome battery and upgraded processor. I would keep it, but I have no use for it and I’d rather have the $. I’m sure the board can be resold for $50 or so, so my loss is your gain…

I’ll get some pictures up tonight, I’m at work and don’t have the machine or my camera here.

$240/OBO shipped.

Heatware under lithium726, ebay under brian-peet

You know BGA reflow, resolder, rework whatever. There are a few electronic shops that do it for >$20.

Oh, I dunno, maybe. If you know of someplace it'll be a super cheap notebook, I doubt there is any place like that around here. we have one industrial electronics store in the city and they aren't going to want to resoldier a BGA chip.

I've actually found that the video chip is fine and the security chip on the underside had a loose connection (it's socketed) and the machine seems to be working fine now. I'm going to go ahead and lock this and make new threads since the machine is working fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back