FS: Buttkicker Advance 400w tactile transducers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
ALLLLLLLLLLLL SOLD

I purchased a lot of Buttkicker Advance tactile transducers pulled from the Alamo Draft House Theater in downtown Kansas City during a recent renovation. I have over 100 to sell.
I’ve tested all of these I’ll be selling and they all work perfectly.

Condition is used, good.
They have a heavy steel mounting plate attached, but I believe the mounting plate is custom and intended for the theater seats they were attached to as it does not look like the mounting plate that is typically sold with the retail version. You do not need this plate, because you can mount the buttkicker from the four feet. or from the back mounting panel. If you want the steel mounting plate please request it.

These are 3 ohm units, 400 watt max, 75 watt minimum. They operate down to 5Hz. (5Hz - 200Hz)
These 3 ohm units were custom made for commercial install, and were never made for retail purchase. The retail versions are 4ohm.
Buttkicker Customer Support told me you should be targeting an amp with 450 watts per channel at 2ohm to get the recommended 300 watt at 3ohm target.
----

These Buttkicker transducers are reliable, there is very little to go wrong as they are very simple devices mechanically - they either work or they don’t. An electric coil hooked up to a typical amplifier throws a heavy piston inside the steel casing using electro-magnetics. The piston has a rubber stop on both ends to prevent clunking against the casing, and a thermal overdrive safety mechanism to prevent damage from overdriving. There is no circuit board, nor complicated electronics to fail. From what I’ve read, as long as they aren’t submerged in water they basically work forever with no end-user maintenance.
Feel free to read up on reliability or lifespan expectancy to gain your own level of confidence. The FAQ below explains how they cannot be overdriven because they will go into a thermal protect mode.

Buttkicker FAQ
https://thebuttkicker.com/faq/

I am looking for $100 shipped each via flat-rate box USPS, + $5 extra if you want the steel mounting plate, but may negotiate bulk price for large orders. These are $200 new, so I’m asking half price.

I will guarantee your satisfaction with these units, as I have tested them all.
PayPal is my preferred payment method to protect us both, but I will consider other forms of payment. I will also accept BTC (Bitcoin) as payment.

You may reply to this thread with interest, or PM me to complete your sale.

For seller feedback reference I sell as archaeantrader on eBay and have nearly 600 feedback and a perfect 100% rating.
https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/archaeantrader

--------------
Here are pictures of an average unit for representation and expectations.
073d26a06c2a80fcc4c55500e139a254.jpg

With and without mounting plate
79b9bc65fe721c058fe6c4a574dedc23.jpg

46c87eed987c4cc3b16d60d1e9077fca.jpg

81500cfc73b851c029ae77b899c99b9f.jpg

fd1a2644e0ce5bb62d163c960c72da52.jpg

c2d4ccc65282af1bebbd92997926c1a4.jpg

5bde98f501f403377701fd5de745af49.jpg

2dfa48cbc8d87dadbe8ecc23e9ae1231.jpg

4129c1a731d74b97db0e159dbc5dee2b.jpg

d626348c580f2dddf399dd631c999bec.jpg

dcc594b0677e1a56cd2eb400342b2683.jpg

EDIT -------------- additional info per PM'ed questions ----------------

There is an optional mounting plate kit that Buttkicker sells which is currently out of stock, but lets you use these under a chair leg instead of direct attached if that's your preference.
https://thebuttkicker.com/bk4-cmak/I called Buttkicker today and learned they are not discontinued, but are just in short supply because of Covid inventory issues. The Buttkicker rep said they expect inventory in 4-6 weeks for the accessory kit.

Even if you do direct attach method, which is probably the most common way of install, I'd recommend rubber feet under your chairs. You want a low durometer rating for your feet. The lower the number the more squishy and soft the rubber. I use these Hudson HiFi feet on my chairs, and they are just over the consistency of a gummy bear. You'll want the big 2.5" expensive ones because they hold 75 to 100lbs each so 4 can work with a theater seat. A friend of mine has 12 or 16 of them under a big heavy wooden riser for his back HT row, and that works for his couch and guests that sit on the riser.
Amazon.com: .75" Platinum Silicone Hemisphere Bumper, Non-Skid Isolation Feet with Adhesive - 20 Duro - 8 Pack: Electronics

1624995445948.png

What benefit are the rubber feet? Well they allow the transducers to bounce the seat around more than if it was just sitting directly on the floor. Here's an example of what these 20 Duro feet do to my home theater seats for reference. Same amount of shake applied, and you can see how much more the seats move when the rubber feet are in place.

First demonstration is just chair on carpet, second demonstration is chair with Hudson Hi-Fi feet on carpet, third demonstration is board below, Hudson Hi-Fi, board above. You can see the progression of movement on the chair in each change.
I am using the Hudson Hi-Fi feet on each chair leg, just direct to the carpet (second demo in the link above) and that is sufficient for me.

1624995473790.png

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
man with all the simracers on here i thought this would fly off the shelf.
an ebay 4 channel class d amp board and you can build an amazing tactile sim pit. i have a set of 4 on my rig already or i would be on it.
free bump for simracing love.

I went in halfsies with a friend of mine to buy these in bulk. We each got 106 of these things. It’s been just under a week. I asked him last night how many he had sold. He told me 49. I’ve sold 5. Ha.

He’s selling on Reddit, I’m selling here and AVS forum, eBay and Facebook. We initially agreed to different territories.

pshhh. He’s sold 10:1.

He said the sim community on Reddit is a hot market, I’m not into sims - don’t know that community. I guess after his inventory is gone then I’ll list where he listed.

Morning bump.

11 sold. Surprisingly, not even one sold here. All sold so far are from AVSForum and eBay.

Made a video to show what these can do.

free bump. Fun stuff. I first installed a pair of Clark Synthesis tactile transducers in one of my sofas 7-8 years ago. I added the cheaper Dayton bass shakers to each of my home theater chairs a few years ago. Using butt kickers is a great way to add to the home theater experience.

Those are some beefy looking units, much more oomph than my cheapo 50w Dayton bass shakers. GLWS!

You should use the remainder to build a vest with mounting plates... mount as many as you can and then make a video for the lulz. Bump

Bump for a good guy, cool units and the city I don't get to near often enough anymore.

BUMP

49 sold.

A customer asked me about wiring from a Behringer NX1000D or NX3000D amp I recommended him.

Here is that reply in case it helps others.

This for the RCA output on your AVR to XLR in on the Behringer AMP
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777

If you have a pre-pro instead of an AVR then you already have XLR and you just need a XLR to XLR
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4754

Amazon also carries Monoprice wires so you'll want to price compare to see if Amazon's higher prices outweigh the shipping price at Monoprice.
I REALLY like monoprice premium signal wires. I've got a crap ton of wires for my HT system over the years and they are, by far, the best for the money.

That covers the input signal.

----

For output on the Behringer Amp it uses speakon connectors. Neutrik is the name brand, so just buy theirs - they are cheap enough to just get the best anyway. You just need a couple connectors and you can use any speaker wire you want from there. Look up a Speakon wiring video on youtube to see how it works. It's as simple as unscrewing the connector and putting positive to + and negative to -.
https://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NL2FX-2-Pole-speakON-Connector/dp/B00OVAXIBS/

If you want to bridge the amp you'll need a 4 pole Neutrik connector instead.
https://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NL4FC-4-Pole-speakON-Connector/dp/B005EKMGO4/

another option is just to buy Speakon to raw wire if you don't want to wire yourself - but it's probably just more expense.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=speakon+to+raw+wire

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
17 more sold since last update.

66 sold total.

Still only two sold from here. Everything else from AVSForum and eBay.

69 sold

------- 9/5/2021

edit - since they are all sold I closed this thread per forum rules, but I wanted to make an update, so I'll commandeer this last post to make my update.

Time to experiment! (I'm keeping eight of these to test with, but maybe I only need four). Depends on if I want 2 or just need 1 per seat. Here they are setup to test with two on one chair (I have four chairs, and I have a shallow mount 12" subwoofer in each chair that I've used for the last couple years too.) I've been using a single buttkicker the last couple weeks, I wanted to try two in a chair.

My room thread with many pictures at avsforum. Description and overview in 1st post.
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/archaeas-multi-purpose-home-theater-room.1525397/
My experiment tonight: Post 2211
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/ar...e-theater-room.1525397/page-111#post-61004337

1630895903480.png

Last edited:
I got mine. Thanks! Looking forward to this install on my computer chair! (I know this is going to be omega overkill, but it will be awesome)

I got mine, all work great! Thanks allot.
Notes, it will help to re lube with lithium grease if they rattle.
At only 300w and continuous use, they heat up FAST!!!! (for me it was around 8 minutes) consider pointing a PC fan at it to prolong use.
Tripping the over heat switch over and over will wear it out.
Thermal conductivity between motor stator and outer shell is very poor. (it was designed for bursts of bass, not continuous rumbling)

.... Oh and bump. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back