FS: Audio Technica ATR2100 USB Mic & boom arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

_orcus_

2[H]4U
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Will it work if you plug the USB into a powered usb cord (not in a computer USB port). I have a different brand microphone and was disappointed that it only works if you plug it into a PC running Windows. I was hoping I could just plug it into a USB battery pack and record from the 3.5” out.

Will it work if you plug the USB into a powered usb cord (not in a computer USB port). I have a different brand microphone and was disappointed that it only works if you plug it into a PC running Windows. I was hoping I could just plug it into a USB battery pack and record from the 3.5” out.
This is a very good question that I'm very curious about as well since I've never worked with a mic with usb, xlr, and a headphone jack.

It seems like the usb port power is what powers the mic and it's only a usb mic if it's connected to a computer. So I think your idea would work. As long as you get the blue led to turn on, I think you should be golden. :)

I'm honestly not 100% certain and have no way to test it since I don't have a USB battery pack.

if you can, try plugging the USB into a wall charger and check if the 3.5mm audio works. I have a microphone and wanted to use it for the audio on my camera for videos but I’d have to carry a laptop with me which totally defeats the purpose. Maybe yours will work with just any old USB power.

I have a similar device and the 3.5mm output only works when plugged into USB. When you plug that mic into the USB port, you are creating another AUDIO out device in the computer for headphones.

I have a similar device and the 3.5mm output only works when plugged into USB. When you plug that mic into the USB port, you are creating another AUDIO out device in the computer for headphones.
But from what it seems on this model, it doesn't do that as the manual doesn't talk about setting any output devices in the computer when setting it up.

But from what it seems on this model, it doesn't do that as the manual doesn't talk about setting any output devices in the computer when setting it up.

My choice of words was confusing. What I mean to say is that when yo plug the USB mic into the computer, when you go to the Playback Devices under SOUND, then you will have an extra audio output which will be the headphone output of the MIC. Under Recording Devices it should show the mic as an input device.

My choice of words was confusing. What I mean to say is that when yo plug the USB mic into the computer, when you go to the Playback Devices under SOUND, then you will have an extra audio output which will be the headphone output of the MIC. Under Recording Devices it should show the mic as an input device.
No, I totally got that. (y) But from what I read in the manual about setup where it goes into detail on what to do on the pc in terms of selecting input (mic), it doesn't talk about selecting anything for output, so I would tend to believe that the headphone jack is really straight from the mic as long as the mic has power.

If that is the case, that would be a great option. Being able to plug it into an AV system without a pc is a usable feature.

It needs to be hooked up to PC to use the headphone jack, there is a review that actually mentions this.Great price for this mic btw.

And if anyone is wondering, it is the Samson Q2U that needs to be plugged into a computer to work. Sounds like this one may function in a similar way.

presumably it will work also if you plug it into a powered mixer via the XLR connection but that is my stuff you need to lug around.

And if anyone is wondering, it is the Samson Q2U that needs to be plugged into a computer to work. Sounds like this one may function in a similar way.

presumably it will work also if you plug it into a powered mixer via the XLR connection but that is my stuff you need to lug around.
Yeah, looking at the Samson design, it seems these may come from the same oem so may function in the same way.

Sorry just got home from Star Wars and was just now able to test it ... CS is right, it doesn't work unless its connected a pc.

Thank you for testing it. They make wonderful USB dynamic mics. I live in the flight path of a busy airport. When the planes take off over my house, they are loud and these types of microphones do not pick up much of the ambient sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back