FS: 48-Core Supermicro '4P' AMD G34 Workstation-Servers, Overclocking Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linden

[H]ard|Gawd

************************** ALL SOLD *********************************

$350, shipped USPS Priority

ONLY 1 LEFT

Have you been interested in owning one of the famous '4P' rigs to crunch BOINC or to fold, or just to play with a 4-processor system?

For sale: Supermicro AMD Opteron (Magny Cours), 48-Core, Server-Workstations for sale - rock solid reliable and overclocking ready.

All the hardware is in very good to excellent condition and was fully functional as of August 19, when I last operated these systems. I have had so much pleasure and satisfaction with these 48-core beasts; but power costs where I live are too high to continue running these systems.

- The included heatsinks have all the mounting hardware for the Supermicro 4-socket motherboards but do not have all the mounting hardware for ATX desktop motherboards.

My Heatware, 250/0/0 Reviews/Feedback for Linden | HeatWare.com

///SOLD///‘G3’ PACKAGE
Motherboard: Supermicro H8QGi+-F (Socket G34), Rev. 1.01, Tear’s BIOS G60NG4.A11
CPU: 4 X AMD Opteron 6172, 12-Core, Magny Cours, 12-core
Memory: Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24, 1.5v, 32GB/16 X 2GB
CPU Heatsink: 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212, complete “Musky mod” custom mounting hardware

///SOLD///‘G7’ PACKAGE
Motherboard: Supermicro H8QGi-F (Socket G34), Rev. 1.0, Tear’s BIOS G60NG4.A11
CPU: 4 X AMD Opteron 6174, Magny Cours, 12-core
Memory: G.Skill, Ripjaws, DDR3 1333, CL 7, 32GB/16 X 2GB
CPU Heatsink: 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212, complete “Musky mod” custom mounting hardware

///TRADED/// 'G5' Package
Motherboard: Supermicro H8QGL-iF (Socket G34), Rev. 1.0, Tear's BIOS GL1NG4.511

CPU: 4 X AMD Opteron, 2 X 6174 + 2 X 6176; Magny Cours, 12-core
Memory: 64GB/16 X 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, CL 9, 1.5v
CPU Heatsink: 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212, “Musky mod” and original hardware

///SOLD///‘G4’ Package
Motherboard: Supermicro H8QGi+-F (Socket G34), Rev. 1.01, Tear’s BIOS G60NG4.A11
CPU: 4 X AMD Opteron 6174, Magny Cours, 12-core
Memory: G.Skill, Ripjaws, DDR3 1333, CL 7, 1.5v, 32GB/16 X 2GB
CPU Heatsink: 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212, “Musky mod” and original hardware

I welcome any questions you might have.

Last edited:
I might be interested in one or two of these if you'd be up for a trade. I've got a pair of Xeon 2650 ES's and a pair of PNY Quadro K4200's up for sale/trade if you're interested.

Thanks for the offering, Pants; but the K4200 would probably have GPU compute performance of a GTX 760. I'm really looking for GTX 980ti class of compute performance. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Sorry, I'm looking for Socket 2011 or 1051 CPUs.

Edited: 980Ti, not 480Ti

Thanks for the offering, Pants; but the K4200 would probably have GPU compute performance of a GTX 760. I'm really looking for GTX 980ti class of compute performance. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Sorry, I'm looking for Socket 2011 or 1051 CPUs.

Edited: 980Ti, not 480Ti

Hmm, the Quadro's are down on FP32 performance compared to a 980Ti, but they are also single slot cards, so you can fit two cards in the area one 980Ti would take up. They also take much less power than a 980Ti, with a max TDP of 108W. The K4200's are based off of the GTX670/GTX760TI core, which is a bit better than the GTX760 core. Also IIRC Quadro and Tesla cards have better FP64 performance, which is a notable weak point of the Maxwell arch.

The Xeons are LGA 2011 chips, Sandy-Bridge based.

Thanks for the info. I just don't see the GK104 core being competitive with anything beyond a GTX 760 in BOINC projects or F@H. I'll respectfully pass.

Interesting, but that's a bit more complexity than I want in a GPU cruncher/folder. If you could simply remove the radiator and tubing and have normal 980Ti, I'd be more interested. I'll take a closer look and get back with you. Maybe I could just make the Hybrid the top-most video card and use its fan as the case exhaust?

Would the Hybrid's fan function OK as a CPU heatsink's fan? The CPU in the GPU box I'm planning will not typically experience a high load. That fan is removable from its housing, right. (Yes, I'll look up this stuff on the side as well, but our comments would be good, as you've actually used the card.)

Last edited:
Skillz, you have "conversation" PM. ('Conversation,' now, isn't that just a cutie-pie term. We're all so danged social, aren't we!!)

dbwillis, we're venturing into unknown territory for me. I have to do some quick learning. I'll get back with you.

dbwillis, you have a great precision workstation card, but not really optimized for GPU compute. Take a look here.

Thanks for posting.

The K6000 is essentially a Titan Black with doubled VRAM and Quadro-specific drivers.

Thanks for the info. I just don't see the GK104 core being competitive with anything beyond a GTX 760 in BOINC projects or F@H. I'll respectfully pass.

No interest in the 8-core Xeons either?

Regardless of the specifications, based on what I found, it does not appear the K6000 is a top performer in the type of GPU compute that I will need, as in BOINC tasks and Folding@Home GPU work units. The Xeons? No thank you. I'm looking more toward higher clocked 4-core, rather than lower clocked 8-core. Additionally, I don't think the ES-2620s are compatible with Socket 2011 v3, which is probably the motherboard socket I will acquire.

Edit: Correction, the platform which I will probably acquire will be X170/LGA 1151

Last edited:
Trades

Trades, yes. Trades + cash, yes. I've added another platform, which could be acceptable. Also, I'm clarifying the information I have in the original post.

What I want: I am looking for platforms, which can optimally perform GPU compute, specifically for BOINC GPU projects and GPU Folding@Home work units.

Preferred platform - Z170/LGA 1151
Also considering - X99/LGA 2011v3
I would also consider - Z97/Socket 1150

Motherboards need to have a configuration for two or three video cards, with optimal spacing between the PCIe 16 slots for good airflow. Here's an example of what I consider to be optimal PCI 16 spacing - ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 (SLI is irrelevant to me.)

CPUs need to be fairly recent generation i5 or I7, 4-core (Hypertreading is irrelevant to me). A top performer, if priced high, is not attractive, as I can get a very competent overclocking-capable i5 new for $220 - Core i5 6600K

Video cards. I prefer the Nividia GTX 980Ti, which has excellent performance for modest power consumption; a close second would be the GTX 1060, which is a good performer and has low power consumption. I would also consider GTX 980, but I would value it much less than the 980Ti.

Memory will be DDR4 for the first to platforms and DDR3 for the third platform.

I've already traded one of my G34 4Ps. I'd be pleased to trade another one.

Last edited:
I take it that these don't come with cases? what case or how would I get them into a case?

also you have any benchmark vs intel 2 socket and 4 socket set ups?

That is correct - no cases for sale. It would cost nearly as much to ship them as you could find them new, or used on you local market. The motherboard format is SWTX. Many of us have modified full tower case to work with these system. It's also popular to mount them on wood platforms. For my systems, I used a wood platform I built, modified Cooler Master HAF-X and HAF-32, and a modified Rocketfish/Lian Li. Benchmarks and performance comparisons. The later model Intel E series Xeons typically outperform the the G34 Opteron 6XXX series...at a price. If you wish to familiarize yourself with these systems, use the search terms "G34" and "4P" in the Distributed Computing sub-forum. There's a wealth of information there.

Thanks for your interest.

That is correct - no cases for sale. It would cost nearly as much to ship them as you could find them new, or used on you local market. The motherboard format is SWTX. Many of us have modified full tower case to work with these system. It's also popular to mount them on wood platforms. For my systems, I used a wood platform I built, modified Cooler Master HAF-X and HAF-32, and a modified Rocketfish/Lian Li. Benchmarks and performance comparisons. The later model Intel E series Xeons typically outperform the the G34 Opteron 6XXX series...at a price. If you wish to familiarize yourself with these systems, use the search terms "G34" and "4P" in the Distributed Computing sub-forum. There's a wealth of information there.

Thanks for your interest.

Just wondering, how would one of these 4P systems compare to a dual Xeon E5-2670 system?

I don't know. There's probably documentation in the Distributed Computing forum.

Labor Day weekend. As for me, I'll just be sitting at home waiting to make a deal advantageous to you. It's a buyers' market, don't ya know.

God I miss these days lol, they were fun times, but I only ever had one, and I don't believe I had an OC board (I had a tyan I think)

Bump for old school folding gods :)

Update to items desired for trade:

I am looking for an Intel i5 or i7 CPU, four-core, preferably unlocked ('K').

$475 is merely an asking price. Try me, you never know...

Last edited:
They all look more or less the same. Here's an image that includes the G5 platform, which I already sold - in a Rocketfish by Lian Li case. (I'm Leonardo at that location - check my aliases at Heatware.) That post also shows close-up shots of the custom heatsink-motherboard mounting hardware. If you're interested in a purchase, PM me, and I'll email you some high resolutions shots.

New price:

Either platform for $350; take both for $650; includes USPS Priority shipping.

Make an offer if you think I'm too high. Parting out? Maybe, let me know if anything interests you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back