FS: 48-Core AMD Opteron Workstation-Servers, Overclocking Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linden

[H]ard|Gawd
Asking price is now $475 per system package. All other terms and options are the same.

Have you been interested in owning one of the famous '4P' rigs, to crunch BOINC or to fold, or just want to play with one, here's your chance.

For sale: Three (3) AMD Opteron (Magny Cours), 48-Core, Server-Workstations for sale. These systems are rock solid reliable and are overclocking ready.

All the hardware is in very good to excellent condition and was fully functional as of August 19, when I last operated these systems. I have had so much pleasure and satisfaction with these 48-core beasts; but power costs where I live are too high to continue running these systems.

Package price for each system is $475, which includes shipping. The package price is merely my asking price to start making a deal. I am motivated to sell this gear.

I would prefer to sell whole systems, but will part them out if orders are large enough.

Trades? Yes, I am looking for components to build multi-GPU Socket 1151 or Socket 2011 comps: Motherboards, CPUs, video cards, and memory. Video cards – Nvidia, GTX 980Ti or better. (I like AMD also, but not for DC.)

Payment is through PayPal - CC or bank. I will consider other means of payment if the buyer has a very good Heatware record.

-CPU heatsinks do not include fans, unless we add it to the deal. (Most of the original Cooler Master fans failed early.)

My Heatware, 242/0/0 Reviews/Feedback for Linden | HeatWare.com

‘G3’ Package

Motherboard: Supermicro H8QGi+-F (Socket G34), Rev. 1.01, Tear’s BIOS G60NG4.A11
CPU: 4 X AMD Opteron 6172, 12-Core, Magny Cours, 12-core
Memory: Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24, 1.5v, 32GB/16 X 2GB
CPU Heatsink: 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212, “Musky mod” and original hardware

‘G4’ Package

Motherboard: Supermicro H8QGi+-F (Socket G34), Rev. 1.01, Tear’s BIOS G60NG4.A11
CPU: 4 X AMD Opteron 6174, Magny Cours, 12-core
Memory: G.Skill, Ripjaws, DDR3 1333, CL 7, 1.5v, 32GB/16 X 2GB

///TRADED/// 'G5' Package

Motherboard: Supermicro H8QGL-iF (Socket G34), Rev. 1.0, Tear's BIOS GL1NG4.511

CPU: 4 X AMD Opteron, 2 X 6174 + 2 X 6176; Magny Cours, 12-core
Memory: 64GB/16 X 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, CL 9, 1.5v

‘G7’ Package

Motherboard: Supermicro H8QGi-F (Socket G34), Rev. 1.0, Tear’s BIOS G60NG4.A11
CPU: 4 X AMD Opteron 6174, Magny Cours, 12-core
Memory: G.Skill, Ripjaws, DDR3 1333, CL 7, 32GB/16 X 2GB
CPU Heatsink: 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212, “Musky mod;" do NOT have all the original OEM hardware

I welcome any questions you might have.

Last edited:
Oops. Edited the ad. Sorry, I had just finished inspecting RAM in another system - 64GB total. That number stuck in my head.

Yes sir, these systems are all 48-core. Thanks for flagging me.

Overclocked, full load - each core with a BOINC task, 650-700Watts. 300 Watts at idle. I do not know what the the default clock power requirements are; less of course, but how much I don't know. If memory serves me correctly, power consumption for Folding@Home and BOINC projects was about the same.

Last edited:
I'm interested in one, but not for folding or any other project. I'd like to send one to a datacenter for colocation and run it as a server. Does it have a case? If yes, what size? (1u, 2u, 3u, 4u) If no, do you have the original heatsinks (low profile for such a case)?

Skillz, I ran these in full size, customized PC cases, not standard server cases or racks. It would cost me more to ship one of those cases than the value of the case itself.

Datacenter? Hmm, buy two or three and I'll cut you a sweet deal, I'm sure.

No, I do not have the original heatsinks. I built these machines from parts; they weren't server kits. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.

I would only need one. I already have a dual, quad core server that I host a number of game server on. I am sure a 48-core AMD rig would be able to host a lot more than the ~25 game servers I currently host on my box. Just can't justify having more than one server though.

What sort of stable OC did you have on these? I have a couple of projects that they might be suitable for, depending on that.

Default reference clock for all is 200MHz. Overclocks follow. The numbers I post are those overclocked frequencies at which the computer could run reliably, at full load, with ambient temperatures up to 80F.

Default/Overclock (multiplier/reference clock)

G3: 2100/2362.5 (10.5X200/10.5X225)
G4: 2200/2365 (11X200/11X215)
G5 (SOLD): 2200/2475 (11X200/11X225)
G7: 2200/2530 (11X200/11X230)

NEW FOR-SALE THREAD HERE

I will shortly be creating nearly the same ad as this in the [H] For Sale / Trade forum. and will close the ad in DC trading forum. I want to increase the exposure. Posting in the other general trading forum and in another tech forum's trading forum will give more users, including other DCers, the opportunity to consider this equipment.

The asking price has now dropped to $475 for each system. I don't want to sit on these systems. They aren't serving any purpose resting in their shipping boxes.

Moderators, I don't believe I'm violating any rules, am I?

Last edited:
I don't see any rule violations.

However, I don't think you have to close your thread here to open a "for sale" thread in the general forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back