FS: 120mm Fan Board for Norco 4220

cavediver

Limp Gawd
Update: July 8, 2010. The 120mm fan boards are out of stock now. I will update this thread if and when they're available again.

I have custom 120mm fan boards for the Norco 4220 available for sale. The new 120mm fan board has several enhancements over the stock 4220 fan board.

1. Accepts 3-120mm fans.

2. The fan board has three sets of mounts for the fan power backplane providing the option to mount the fan power backplane in one of three positions, 1) stock position at the bottom of the fan board between the fan board and the sas backplane, 2) & 3) on the face of the mobo side of the fan board either above or below the fans.

3. Floating PEM nuts on the bottom of the fan board for easier mounting to the bottom of the case.

4. Open slots at the bottom on each side of the fan board for passing cables. This also provides for easier removal and installation of the fan board since cables can be installed before the fan board and the fan board can be installed and removed without the need to remove cables.

Price is $65.00 each, which includes packing and UPS ground shipping to anywhere in the continental US. PM me for payment instructions.

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

Last edited:
i installed this in my 4020 with out much issue.... just some minor modding.

great product to fill a void where the manufacturer did not have us enthusiasts in mind.

good seller!

i installed this in my 4020 with out much issue.... just some minor modding.

great product to fill a void where the manufacturer did not have us enthusiasts in mind.

good seller!

What did the mod entail to make it work?

I am highly interested in this for my 4020.

Adidas4275 said:
the top brackets impedes the lid from closing.... so you just need to cut off the top mounting brackets... it still screws in to the bottom and sides...

works great

But in the pictures I do not see where to screw in from the sides?

If you can detail the mods needed for a 4020, I'd be interested as well.

Bump, wish there were more info from 4020 owners who modded these. I'd certainly buy one if I knew for sure.

Assuming, (and that's a big assumption because I don't have a 4020), that the bottom holes of the fan board will match with holes in the bottom of the 4020 case, the top tabs could probably be bent down and holes drilled into the side of the case to attach the tabs with small bolts w/ small nuts. And even if the bottom holes don't match, you can always drill your own holes in the bottom of the case because the fan board has 3-floating PEM nuts for attachment points.

Got mine Wednesday, finally got a chance to install it (in my 4220) today. The edges on this thing are pretty sharp, but not outrageously so. It's a little wider in the actual plane part than the stock part is, but all of my cables fit to either side (between the case wall and the midplane, not in the lower notch-things) just fine. The thing wasn't quite planar, so it took a bit of effort to get the screws in the bottom to all go in straight, but it was possible and only took a minute or two of fiddling. Also worthy of note: there are no integrated fan-grill-type things like the stock plate has, so you'll probably want fan grills for both sides of each fan.

Overall, it's a definite Would Buy Again. This fits my needs perfectly, and it's better than anything I could have conjured for this price. I might take it out at some point and round off the edges with some appropriate sandpaper or a file, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble.

I have one in my 4020 and the bottom holes line up correctly. I bent the top tabs 90* down and just let them push on the sides. you could drill the holes and such but i didnt need to. the bottom screws hold it fine.

works great in my 4020

ill try and post some pics later

The thing wasn't quite planar, so it took a bit of effort to get the screws in the bottom to all go in straight, but it was possible and only took a minute or two of fiddling. Also worthy of note: there are no integrated fan-grill-type things like the stock plate has, so you'll probably want fan grills for both sides of each fan.

Overall, it's a definite Would Buy Again. This fits my needs perfectly, and it's better than anything I could have conjured for this price. I might take it out at some point and round off the edges with some appropriate sandpaper or a file, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble.

I found the best procedure to install the fan board is to install the bottom screws first, then screw down the top tabs. Once you get one screw in the bottom, the other holes should line up and be very easy to install.

I intentionally left out the integrated fan grill bars, because I wanted to have the maximum air flow with the least amount of resistance. All those things do is create resistance and additional noise. Since I don't plan on sticking my fingers or anything else in the fans, I didn't even install fan grills on the fans in mine.

Hope you're going to be making at least a few...I know I plan on picking up two :p

The 120mm fan boards for the Norco 4220 are back in stock. Please see the first post for payment and shipping instructions.

got this board...installed and works great...that i bought another one already..just because i wasn't sure if another batch was going to be made...ty again

The 120mm fan boards are out of stock now. Please see the first post for more info.

The 120mm fan boards are available now (May 26, 2010). PM me for payment and shipping instructions.

July 8, 2010. The 120mm fan boards are out of stock now. I will update this thread if and when they're available again.

hum got a 4020 and could use one of these. Ill keep an eye out just in case you get stock again.

I also could use one, maybe we could convince him to order another batch if he can pre-sell them all. He believes that Norco is switching to the 120mm fans, but I spoke with them and the front guy on the phone said they were not. But he was just the dude who answers the phone, so ya know.. he might not be in the know.

Can anyone that purchased one of these comment to the drive temps they are getting? I've got the stock 4 fans on 5v speed and I'm getting about 41c or so... not good in my opinion. I hope that the 120mm fan board can bring my temps closer to 35 w/ some serious air moving fans.

It appears Norco is offering a 120mm fan partition for all of their new 4U cases: 120mm fan wall bracket for RPC-4224, RPC-4220, RPC-4116, RPC-4020

I had a feeling that guy didnt know what he was talking about... Thanks cavediver

After a closer look, I dont see how this fan board would work since you need space on either side... left side for power molex and right side for mini-sas. Your design was Much better IMO. The price is hard to beat though... $18 shipped to Atlanta, GA.

After a closer look, I dont see how this fan board would work since you need space on either side... left side for power molex and right side for mini-sas. Your design was Much better IMO. The price is hard to beat though... $18 shipped to Atlanta, GA.

There are 2 pass through holes on the left side for the molex connectors and pass through holes in middle between the far right and middle fan. The new sas backplanes have the mini sas connectors in the middle of the backplane.

There are 2 pass through holes on the left side for the molex connectors and pass through holes in middle between the far right and middle fan. The new sas backplanes have the mini sas connectors in the middle of the backplane.

I see.. I didnt even realize they redesigned this case. I need to RMA my chassis as the backplane is bent slightly and does not allow for all the drives to seat properly, so I hope to get this new design... the backplane looks a lot better and hopefully the change to the power molex is one that makes them more sturdy.

Back