Fry's: X2 3800 CPU/MB combo $280

Mohonri

Supreme [H]ardness
The same deal from a few weeks ago is back. You can get an Athlon 64 X2 3800 with an ECS K8T890 motherboard for $280 at Fry's from Today through next Tuesday. If you sell the motherboard (typical selling price on eBay is ~$40), you have a very nice deal on an x2 3800.

This deal doesn't appear to be available on outpost.com (at least not yet), but you can find the corresponding page of the Houston Chronicle ad right here (the CPU/MB combo is in the lower left).

comes out to 303 after tax. good luck getting 30 bucks for the mobo. so roughly 280...

daroy99 said:
...good luck getting 30 bucks for the mobo. so roughly 280...

One could return the motherboard for store credit a week later without the receipt. :rolleyes:

daroy99 said:
comes out to 303 after tax. good luck getting 30 bucks for the mobo. so roughly 280...
If you can put together a decent eBay ad for it, it looks like you can get a pretty good deal. Especially when you charge ridiculous amounts for shipping, like so many eBay sellers do.

you have to return cpu's in 15 days for credit, the motherboard is 30 days I beleave, so if you wait 3 weeks from date of purchase then maybe.....

$328 after shipping - not half bad really. But not good enough for my to pounce on it either. I wish I had a Fry's locally :(

Mohonri said:
If you can put together a decent eBay ad for it, it looks like you can get a pretty good deal. Especially when you charge ridiculous amounts for shipping, like so many eBay sellers do.

Yeah, but they frequently don't sell and have gone for as little ast 15 bucks.

I think that you should expect that your total cost is $260.00. You may get lucky, but ya may not....might be worth waiting on one of those 10 cent fixed price sales (and then be willing to accep tlower offers).

holy crap, i live in houston! be around the same price i'd buy it for at newegg

thanks

one question: will my AMD warranty be honored even if i sell the motherboard?

rox1co said:
one question: will my AMD warranty be honored even if i sell the motherboard?
They should. I've never seen a warranty that required use in a specific motherboard.

Jodiuh said:
One could return the motherboard for store credit a week later without the receipt. :rolleyes:
No way... I doubt Fry's will return ANYTHING without a receipt... plus they store everything in the computer system at the stores.. they will want to look up the sale.

I like the AMD Geode boxen w/ Linspire for $179.00 offering more...but thats just me :rolleyes:

milktoast said:
It doesn't look like a return would work, but you could still give it a shot.
I'm sure the CSRs have seen lots and lots of people try exactly this. You might get away with it, but I doubt it. If you could, what would stop you from buying a bunch of motherboards online for less than the Fry's price, and returning them to Fry's?

Affini said:
No way... I doubt Fry's will return ANYTHING without a receipt...
milktoast said:
It doesn't look like a return would work, but you could still give it a shot.
I've done it.

Mohonri said:
I'm sure the CSRs have seen lots and lots of people try exactly this.
I bought the X2 3800/ECS deal last Thanksgiving. Returned the ECS board the next day without a reciept. No questions, no problems. I got store credit for the boards lowest price. About 50-60 bucks if I remember correctly. Applied it to an Abit AN8 SLI that day. MUCH better board.

rox1co said:
i just bought it

first one was open w/o the cpu ... lmao, good thing my friend saw or shit - either way i woulda saw n been pissed

here's my week code, tell me if it's good (stepping: E4)

LDBHE 0607UPMW
Open w/o the cpu? Do you mean the AMD retail box was open without a cpu displaying on the front of the box? And the Fry's "guy in the cage" gave it to you?!?!

That stepping was made in the last week of February! Talk about a baby, woo! Let us know how it oc's in this thread. The last time they had this deal...Turkey day 2005, some of us on OCforums competed against each other to see who had the best stable OC. Good luck!

Jodiuh said:
Open w/o the cpu? Do you mean the AMD retail box was open without a cpu displaying on the front of the box? And the Fry's "guy in the cage" gave it to you?!?!

That stepping was made in the last week of February! Talk about a baby, woo! Let us know how it oc's in this thread. The last time they had this deal...Turkey day 2005, some of us on OCforums competed against each other to see who had the best stable OC. Good luck!
lol yeah man

the person in the cage gave it to my checker and there was no cpu in the box - just the heatsink and fan

i'll be getting value ram so i'm not sure how good it'll OC with my Asus A8N-E

Without OCing...the ECS board isn't bad right?

I bought one of those bundles (with a 2800+ Sempron), and the board is great and stable.

i OC this CPU to 2.6 on 1.4V

i'm gonna try for 2.8 when i get better ram

roarrr

Back