Frys going out of Business

Last time I went to Fry's (years ago), I went there to walk their giant store for exercise. You didn't have to worry about purchase temptation since all shelves were mostly empty.

Fry's has been dead for years.

Last time I went to Fry's (years ago), I went there to walk their giant store for exercise. You didn't have to worry about purchase temptation since all shelves were mostly empty.

Fry's has been dead for years.
Wrong if you wanted to purchase a bunch of import cheap ass china made impulse buy shit then they were the place for the past 6-7 years. Other then that cricket cricket. LOL

So is it just Best Buy left at this point for brick and mortar electronics stores? That’s all we got in Alabama at least (besides Costco or Sam’s that don’t count to me). I know you west coast guys still have microcenter... anything else left.
I remember when I used to think Amazon was awesome... now I just want circuit city back
Of the major retailers it is. They made a good rebound but they fucking up again by firing half their retail associates recently. The ones that were full time and been there for a minute anyway. Most the part timers and newer people without the benefits are all that is left.

Of the major retailers it is. They made a good rebound but they fucking up again by firing half their retail associates recently. The ones that were full time and been there for a minute anyway. Most the part timers and newer people without the benefits are all that is left.
There is still MicroCenters around that have products.

Wrong if you wanted to purchase a bunch of import cheap ass china made impulse buy shit then they were the place for the past 6-7 years. Other then that cricket cricket. LOL
You must have not been in a Fry's. The stuff they carried was from cheap motherboards to high end ones. Over the last year is when their shelves have gone empty and they originally blamed it on supply issues.

There is still MicroCenters around that have products.
I said major retailers. MC is great but there are o my like 13 in the entire country. People get pissy when MC deals are posted in the hot deals sections cause there isn't one near them.

Sorry, but that is 110% horseshit. I've spent thousands of dollars at both their Palo Alto (Stanford) and Renton (Seattle) WA stores. They carried everything from super cheap motherboards to expensive stuff. I got my 880GTX's from the Stanford store, I purchased my original Titans from the Renton store, I still have my 5960x that I purchased there for $899 when it was on sale from $1,019. I have purchased a few HDTV's there as well. They always had great prices on memory and were one of the first stores that price matched online stores such as Amazon and NewEgg.

It's only been in the last few years that they have gone downhill with no inventory and nothing on the store shelves.

I said major retailers. MC is great but there are o my like 13 in the entire country. People get pissy when MC deals are posted in the hot deals sections cause there isn't one near them.
MicroCenter is a major retailer. They supply all the business vendors with products to sell to businesses. They aren't just a retailer with outlets around for consumers to walk in.

You must have not been in a Fry's. The stuff they carried was from cheap motherboards to high end ones. Over the last year is when their shelves have gone empty and they originally blamed it on supply issues.
Maybe your Fry's was different but the one in Arlington, TX 9 minutes or less down the road from me moved from the good products years ago. Sure it was a slow influx of crap everywhere and a slow migration of good/decent merchandise being sold and never reordered but it's been a $hit whole now for many years. If your in CA those stores I heard somewhat remained as they started until the last year or so doing just what you stated.

Blaming covid is everyones EXCUSE for going out of Business these days it seems. So your telling me that wearing my mask ( pointless) and social distancing 6ft its 3 ft in europe btw LOL makes your store go out of Business????????? BItches Please!

Blaming covid is everyones EXCUSE for going out of Business these days it seems. So your telling me that wearing my mask ( pointless) and social distancing 6ft its 3 ft in europe btw LOL makes your store go out of Business????????? BItches Please!
It sure as hell has put a huge hit on B&M business. You'd have to be purposefully obtuse to deny it. Here in Oregon, businesses were eseentially closed entirely from March on with repeated "extensions" to the ongoing decaration of stae of emergency.
When your business model depends on in person, and you can't open to allow people to do in person...

That plus thousands lost any disposable income and supply issues are still a problem. I don't blame COVID for Fry's demise, but it sure didn't help.

if you sick stay home ( its like the flu) I never had or got covid and im out at work and whatever 12 hrs a day every day............ppl get it dont ever know they even had it this IS a POOR Excuse and the reason why is frys was going UNDER before covid was ever here in the USA

Exactly what I was going to say. Blaming the 'rona for a business that has been on slow death mode for years. Never mind fact they screwed a lot of customers with intentional convoluted hurdles that extended things beyond the return period.

That plus thousands lost any disposable income and supply issues are still a problem. I don't blame COVID for Fry's demise, but it sure didn't help.

I'll go out on a limb and say that COVID-19 had nothing to do with Fry's demise. Fry's shelves were bare more than a year before the mandatory closures and quarantine. They've been bare for almost two years. Fry's went / is going under due to mismanagement. No more, no less. It failed to remain competitive as companies like Best Buy made the necessary changes to not only stay profitable, but competitive in the market. Fry's made several of the same mistakes I watched Comp USA make which drove it into the ground. I had a front row seat for that one as I worked for the company during both its hey day and during its decline. Chief among those mistakes is the same move that literally kills off big businesses all the time. Fry's took out loans to cover a massive nationwide expansion at a time when Amazon and other online retailers were beginning to really dominate. Fry's couldn't pay back its loans, ended up being late on vendor and distributor payments and couldn't get product in the store to sell anymore.

It tried a consignment model which would have put the costs on the backs of vendors and distributors, etc. and not Fry's itself. This was out of necessity as Fry's was out of money. No one wanted to participate in that model. Naturally, Fry's has only continued to mount debt and swirl down the drain. This is a problem that was over a decade in the making and way before anyone had heard of COVID-19.

I feel fortunate to have a Microcenter close by. It's packed to the gills most days, too. I don't think I've ever not waited in a 5-10 person line to check out, too. That's with 5 registers. If they go under, it's definitely not due to low traffic/sales in Denver.

I just hope Microcenter stays open. Though I don't shop there often it is nice have a story nearby for easy returns on big box items like my monitor that had dead pixels.

bought my cooler master h500 thats normally 100 bucks for 65 missing parts sucked but knew it and didnt care it was useless stuff id never use just wanted a case that can hold 3x200 mm fans !

I'll go out on a limb and say that COVID-19 had nothing to do with Fry's demise.
I don't think it's a limb. You're on solid concrete ground. My point is even if they'd come up with an iPod that probably saved Apple it would have too late for them.

Maybe your Fry's was different but the one in Arlington, TX 9 minutes or less down the road from me moved from the good products years ago. Sure it was a slow influx of crap everywhere and a slow migration of good/decent merchandise being sold and never reordered but it's been a $hit whole now for many years. If your in CA those stores I heard somewhat remained as they started until the last year or so doing just what you stated.
Dallas and Austin are the ones I’ve been too. Never saw what you speak of.

I feel fortunate to have a Microcenter close by. It's packed to the gills most days, too. I don't think I've ever not waited in a 5-10 person line to check out, too. That's with 5 registers. If they go under, it's definitely not due to low traffic/sales in Denver.
It like that at my MC most the time but this one time I went on a Saturday to pick up a couple fittings and the checkout line was wrapping around the store x.X I was like wtf is this. It took me over an hour to get through for $20 worth of shit.

I remember going to the 1st opening of the store here in austin. the line wasnt that bad. it was actually worse the thanksgiving black friday and even worse the year after that.

whats interesting is fry's moved into what was the failed builders square site. so now 2 have failed at the very same location.
there is no way they can blame this on covid. i was in the store before it hit and it was already a bare ghost town. heck big lots thats semi next to it had more cars in the parking lot. maybe even harbor freight did at well. when the "mother board wall" has none on it and the shelves below have no boxes...yeah its
over. and yes i even bought one of the infamous ecs/cpu combo deals and it ran mostly fine

For the years (2007 to 2016) I worked the SC9 datacenter at Cyxtera I used to go to the Fry's in Sunnyvale CA just to get out of the colo and take a few laps, have a sandwich, etc.. It was never that busy - even during the holidays especially towards the end of my time in NorCal.. I was like how the fuck do they keep this enterprise afloat with so little actual shopping going on..? They had like 50 checkout stations and like three max or so of them would be open at a time.. I used to visit the ones in the LA area back in the late 90s and early 2k and they were fairly busy... I think all the online shopping just slowly crushed them over time.

Many good memories and excitement when they opened a store in Indianapolis.
They will be missed ☹️

I didnt know they even had a theater inside. My local store didnt.

It was just a small equipment demo theater. Like a lot of initiatives they undertook (e.g., the counter for building custom PCs that became a place to stack boxes of inventory), it was largely forgotten about not too long after it was implemented.

I'm pretty surprised they tarped over the logo on the building; usually that's reserved for companies that are trying to stay afloat in other locations (companies that are doing well in other locations will actually remove the sign). A bankrupt company shouldn't be spending money to salvage its image, certainly not when it doesn't plan to emerge from bankruptcy.

Amazon is putting everyone out of business but no one cares as long as we get our low prices.

Amazon is also putting retailers that sell on Amazon out of business as well, Amazon collects data on everything that sells and then comes out with their own "Amazon Basics HMDI cable" or "Amazon Basics 100 Pack AA Batteries" etc which cost a lot less than a regular brand. People assume that it's an Amazon brand it must be better.

I'm surprised no one is doing anything about it.

Amazon is putting everyone out of business but no one cares as long as we get our low prices.

Amazon is also putting retailers that sell on Amazon out of business as well, Amazon collects data on everything that sells and then comes out with their own "Amazon Basics HMDI cable" or "Amazon Basics 100 Pack AA Batteries" etc which cost a lot less than a regular brand. People assume that it's an Amazon brand it must be better.

I'm surprised no one is doing anything about it.
I like how people constantly crying amazon is evil. How they treat their workers, don't pay taxes and blah blah blah. Yet they all continue to use Amazon.

Amazon is a behemoth and certainly a factor in a lot of retail deaths, but Fry's killed themselves.

If Fry's ownership were at all competent they could have been what NewEgg, B&H, Best Buy, etc. are now and still been quite successful. Hell, they purchased a successful online retailer (Outpost) ~20 years ago and, like most of their initiatives, let it falter and die.

The writing was on the wall when they put in sections for generic perfumes, "As Seen On TV", and mattresses.

Amazon is a behemoth and certainly a factor in a lot of retail deaths, but Fry's killed themselves.

If Fry's ownership were at all competent they could have been what NewEgg, B&H, Best Buy, etc. are now and still been quite successful. Hell, they purchased a successful online retailer (Outpost) ~20 years ago and, like most of their initiatives, let it falter and die.

The writing was on the wall when they put in sections for generic perfumes, "As Seen On TV", and mattresses.
Yeah with no MC nearby its sad to see FRY's commit suicide.
I dont like Newegg letting 3rd party sellers on their site, but they still have a site.
I like to walk around the electronics stores. I have bought many things in person I wouldnt have online because I saw it and liked it.

Fry's certainly had issues. Lot of sales/helper people that were redundant. As time went on an online thrived, I think their store size was too big for what they could realistically sell. That is why a lot of junk started filling up the shelves. Things like software sales went digital as well, which meant more space. Their prices were decent, but maybe have less frequent sales but less mail in rebates. One area they could've done well in was gaming chairs/desks. I know they tried this at the end but it was too late. Those items have a big market and few stores, including office stores, have much of that stuff you can try out.

My local one had 1/3rd too much space by the end, maybe even up to 1/2 was wasted. They just didn't need all that space, all those people and cash registers.

Yeah it was like the TP section art Walmart last year. Nothing on whole aisles. I thought they were going out of business like 3-4 years ago.
Its almost like they failed intentionally

Back