Frys going out of Business

Must be one of those Middle eastern guys with a full head of hair. Gold wrist watches and a high rolling swindlers list. Hopefully they can recover while this guy gets used to 4 walls. I work at Walmart I find people's loose change all over the place I dont keep any of it. I put it near the closest register or desk. No respect for this guy one bit.

Last edited:
I work at Walmart

Things are coming into focus... ;)

No respect for this guy one bit.

I can respect his audacity. That's cine-worthy right there.

But the damage he caused from the company's shareholders on down to the communities the company serves?

He'll never make up for that.

And if his swindling is what has resulted in their current state, well, I hope a judge and jury try to make him make it up regardless, and I hope that the company bounces back.

I never held the respect for Fry's that I did for say Incredible Universe (also a Dallas patron here), nor did I find their retail presentation anywhere close to their competitors such as Best Buy, or Circuit City back in the day, however I do hope that they make a comeback.

And please, please, upgrade their retail game.

Just now posten on FB.
Fry's Electronics

· 1 hr ·

To all our valued customers: our Anaheim store will close permanently on March 2nd, 2020. It has been a pleasure serving you at this location for many years, and we stand ready to provide all your electronic needs at Frys.com or at one of our many other store locations in Southern California.

1583181218398.png

Attachments

• 1583181196433.png
    1583181196433.png
    685.9 KB · Views: 0
Consignment? So they're trying the Amazon Marketplace model in a brick and mortar setting? I take it that means they have just given up entirely on their normal distributor channels.
I've often wondered how retail electronics stores could both keep their shelves stocked with new products and make money... shifting the risk of stock not selling before something better becomes available sounds like a decent stab at the problem.

Went to my local one recently. No GPUs, pretty much no monitors except one or two on display, no laptops. CPUs and motherboards were also gone now. What they did have a lot of was some off brand I never heard of, gaming brand with either a Q or a G as the first letter. Couldn't read the font. They had chairs, tables, mice, keyboards and I believe headsets. In the gaming section they ruled the peripherals, with a tiny selection of Razer and Roccat. Aside from that, no name brands aside from those two. No Logitech, Corsair, Steelseries. The Zowie they used to have seem to have disappeared. The store was littered with that brand, even had PSUs. A few SSD/HDD retail drives but no good prices. Cases were more or less gone and they were selling floor models.

Pretty much everything of worth was gone. Didn't check console stuff much, they had some Nintendo stuff. Was thinking maybe you could find a decent deal on something marked down like console accessories but didn't see anything.

Consignment? So they're trying the Amazon Marketplace model in a brick and mortar setting? I take it that means they have just given up entirely on their normal distributor channels.

From what I can tell, Fry's probably can't pay it's distributors and have likely exhausted their credit. This is why their stores were running on the retail equivalent of fumes. I don't even know how they made enough payroll to cover the skeleton crews that have been running the stores.

They are probably paying their staff with credit. Declare bankruptcy, don't need to pay back the credit and banks lose their investment.

Curious how much longer Fry's will last given all the social distancing whatnot as of late. They were a ghost town before , but now...?

There were less than 10 employees which accounted for most of the cars in the parking lot. There were two or three customers besides me. The coffee / cafe place was shuttered and you couldn't even go in there.

After working at Fry's Service desk for my first job when I moved here way back in 2006, I found out from the quarterly meetings that the Cafe was the money maker of the stores, used to make really good tuna melts and club sandwiches...I'll miss those.

After working at Fry's Service desk for my first job when I moved here way back in 2006, I found out from the quarterly meetings that the Cafe was the money maker of the stores, used to make really good tuna melts and club sandwiches...I'll miss those.

Really? That's surprising. I went to the Dallas store this past weekend and it's got some more stock, but it's all the consignment crap they've been talking about.

Have not seen the store in Las Vegas closing yet. Based on the Yelp reviews alone I can see why they are closing. The in store prices are not that good either.

Have not seen the store in Las Vegas closing yet. Based on the Yelp reviews alone I can see why they are closing. The in store prices are not that good either.

They really aren't. I saw a chair that was being sold for a decent price, but that was about it.

Wish we had a Microcenter or even a Fry's anywhere near me. The closest Microcenter is a few hours away unless something has changed.

That being said, I am not one bit surprised to see them going this consignment route.

The grocery stores do something similar and have been for years. They rent shelf space to the different companies to put their products on. That way, if something doesn't sell, then the store doesn't really have to deal with writing off the loss from stuff not selling and they have a steady income because they just rent the shelf space.

I'm guessing that quite a few different stores operate on the same type of model.

Wish we had a Microcenter or even a Fry's anywhere near me. The closest Microcenter is a few hours away unless something has changed.

That being said, I am not one bit surprised to see them going this consignment route.

The grocery stores do something similar and have been for years. They rent shelf space to the different companies to put their products on. That way, if something doesn't sell, then the store doesn't really have to deal with writing off the loss from stuff not selling and they have a steady income because they just rent the shelf space.

I'm guessing that quite a few different stores operate on the same type of model.

It wasn't really all that common for most industries as far as I know. However, things are quickly moving that way for what little retail is left.

Any reason why Microcenter won't expand to previous Fry location? Sad to see Fry go under I pick up a dozen of those 4TB HGST drives for 79.99 a few years ago.

Any reason why Microcenter won't expand to previous Fry location? Sad to see Fry go under I pick up a dozen of those 4TB HGST drives for 79.99 a few years ago.
Would love to see a MC come to Las Vegas in place of Frys. Maybe not enough population density for MC.

Staying small is why they are successful. A lot of stores get to big and even start building on top of each other. I had three best buys with in 5 miles if each other. Only one is left now. MC is privately own and would require investments to expand. Then you get greedy investors involved that just want to chase the dollar short term.

Staying small is why they are successful. A lot of stores get to big and even start building on top of each other. I had three best buys with in 5 miles if each other. Only one is left now. MC is privately own and would require investments to expand. Then you get greedy investors involved that just want to chase the dollar short term.

That's unfortunate since we only have Best Buy left and I won't even count Walmart or Target as their selection of PC hardware is beyond embarrassing. I have been to the microcenter in southern California a few times (I'm in Silverlake which is easy of downtown LA & about 2 hours away from the closest microcenter) and it has an insane amount of selection. I guess you can count Newegg since they have one of their warehouse in the city of Industry which lets you pick up some orders.

On the bright side of things, if anyone needs hand sanitizer, apparently Fry's has plenty of it, according to their website. :LOL:

I went into the Vegas Frys last week, they could of condensed the entire store down, basically nothing expensive was inside. I actually thought they were closed at first and almost didn't wander around.

Would love to see a MC come to Las Vegas in place of Frys. Maybe not enough population density for MC.
I live in the Bay Area which has high enough population density but doing business here is expensive. There used to be one MC here back in 2012 but closed shop due to high cost. There are a five Frys within the greater bay area. Just too many in my opinion considering that they are not doing well at all. Would love to see MC make a come back to this area.

Reports going up all over it's done. The fat fork has finally been stabbed into the last rubbery ass piece of steak. Thank god. Closing for good tonight nationwide it seems. Website should be down at 12am.

Id love a MC here in Sac also.
I see stuff in stock there online for "In Store Only" so often somewhere.
I think I go to their site sometimes just to see that parts really exist.

Yep the mentions yesterday were correct. FRYS.COM LEADS TO THIS MESSAGE NOW

After nearly 36 years in business as the one-stop-shop and online resource for high-tech professionals across nine states and 31 stores, Fry’s Electronics, Inc. (“Fry’s” or “Company”), has made the difficult decision to shut down its operations and close its business permanently as a result of changes in the retail industry and the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic. The Company will implement the shut down through an orderly wind down process that it believes will be in the best interests of the Company, its creditors, and other stakeholders.

The Company ceased regular operations and began the wind-down process on February 24, 2021. It is hoped that undertaking the wind-down through this orderly process will reduce costs, avoid additional liabilities, minimize the impact on our customers, vendors, landlords and associates, and maximize the value of the Company’s assets for its creditors and other stakeholders.

The Company is in the process of reaching out to its customers with repairs and consignment vendors to help them understand what this will mean for them and the proposed next steps.

If you have questions, please contact us using the following email addresses:

For customers who have equipment currently being repaired, please email [email protected], to arrange for return of your equipment.

For customers with items needing repair under a Performance Service Contract, please call (800) 811-1745.

For consignment vendors needing to pick up their consignment inventory at Fry’s locations, please email [email protected].

Please understand if we are a bit slow to respond given the large volume of questions. The Company appreciates your patience and support through this process.

Sincerely,

Fry’s Electronics

well, that's it. Been checking the website all night and just saw that message an hour ago ^

i don't feel bad. Not that I give a crap about corps but losing Radio Shack hurt because it means if I want/need components same-day i have to take the train way out to Microcenter instead of just biking to a Radio Shack a neighborhood over. Fry's on the other hand was meh. There were three of them in Houston when I lived down there but I went to MC most of the time because all the Frys were a pain in the ass to get to (even with a car) and the stock was inconsistent, never really knew if I'd find the thing I wanted. The vibe in the stores was super off too, it's like they were trying to be a kitchy discount-brand Best Buy and failing at it.

i do feel bad for the store-level employees tho. Seen reports of same-day notice of positions being terminated... not cool, not professional.

well, that's it. Been checking the website all night and just saw that message an hour ago ^

i don't feel bad. Not that I give a crap about corps but losing Radio Shack hurt because it means if I want/need components same-day i have to take the train way out to Microcenter instead of just biking to a Radio Shack a neighborhood over. Fry's on the other hand was meh. There were three of them in Houston when I lived down there but I went to MC most of the time because all the Frys were a pain in the ass to get to (even with a car) and the stock was inconsistent, never really knew if I'd find the thing I wanted. The vibe in the stores was super off too, it's like they were trying to be a kitchy discount-brand Best Buy and failing at it.

i do feel bad for the store-level employees tho. Seen reports of same-day notice of positions being terminated... not cool, not professional.
That is normal. Everyone is expected to give 2 week notice while corporation will let you go without notice. I never gave a 2 week notice to any job. I just go into my bosses office and say I am quiting at the end of the day. Best buy just fired a shit ton of people a week ago with no notice.

More like, say hello to Comp USA, Computer City, Circuit City, Tiger Direct and whatever the hell "The Wiz" was."

"The Wiz" was an electronics store based out of NYC that sold all sorts. It was the local version in NY of a Circuit City, Best Buy back in the day. They sold everything in that store. They went out of business years ago...but always had good deals when I lived in NYC.

They closed for good in 2003.

Being here on the right coast, I never even saw a Fry's. Large amusement park type themed stores apparently. Surprised it took this long for online vendors to cut them out. Eleventeenth floor anyone?

Frys here in Houston @ I-45 still open after all this time but so limited on stock if any and not much to look at or for, I dont go to ravenholme anymore

So is it just Best Buy left at this point for brick and mortar electronics stores? That’s all we got in Alabama at least (besides Costco or Sam’s that don’t count to me). I know you west coast guys still have microcenter... anything else left.
I remember when I used to think Amazon was awesome... now I just want circuit city back

Back