Fry's Electronics: 20% Off In-Store on Saturdays

SPARTAN VI

[H]F Junkie
A few weeks ago I saw an ad for 20% off coupon for the first 50 customers who come in on Saturdays and use code word "SaturdaySavings20" with a Fry's greeter. Excludes graphics cards and CPUs, but I've heard YMMV on that. This is the ad:

IMG_20190302_112849_01.png

Went in today at noon (open at 9am) and was the 4th person who got the coupon. Confirmed with the greeter that they do this every Saturday:

IMG_20190302_113909__01.jpg

Bought a new Canon Rebel T6 with lens and camera bag for $340. Coupon applied to everything in my cart.

Last edited:
.... wait what??

Good to know!

Next Saturday, here I come!!

- Will next Saturday have a different "code word"? If so, where do I find it?

Seriously, fuck frys. As cool as that store is, I have bad luck there with everything I buy.

.... wait what??

Good to know!

Next Saturday, here I come!!

- Will next Saturday have a different "code word"? If so, where do I find it?

I showed the guy the screenshot of the email ad and just read off the "code" word from there. Doesn't appear to change as the screenshot is already a few weeks old.

Note that the ad says $399+ is the minimum purchase, but the actual coupon is $299+

I no longer live in a Fry's market, but for a long time they'd price match websites and pay the sales tax. That said, i'm not sure how they stay in business. The one in Garland was always pretty empty and the one in Plano wasn't much better whenever I went there. A stark contrast to the crowds in the aughts.

A few weeks ago I saw an ad for 20% off coupon for the first 50 customers who come in on Saturdays and use code word "SaturdaySavings20" with a Fry's greeter. Excludes graphics cards and CPUs, but I've heard YMMV on that. This is the ad:

View attachment 145497

Went in today at noon (open at 9am) and was the 4th person who got the coupon. Confirmed with the greeter that they do this every Saturday:

View attachment 145498

Bought a new Canon Rebel T6 with lens and camera bag for $340. Coupon applied to everything in my cart.
I've had this happen to me, too. I walked in right after they opened and they just handed me the coupon. It applies to everything except like, Samsung TVs or something like that.

I had to ask for it though.

Me: Do you guys still do the Saturday 20% promos?
Greeter: Maybe... do you have the secret word?
Me: /shows him ad "Saturday savings 20?"
Greeter: Good enough.

I had to ask for it though.

Me: Do you guys still do the Saturday 20% promos?
Greeter: Maybe... do you have the secret word?
Me: /shows him ad "Saturday savings 20?"
Greeter: Good enough.

you are required to ask the greeter for itt, that's what the email says.

View attachment 145497

View attachment 145498

Its not just every saturday. Its everyday. If you registered for email promos you get it everyday. I get the everyday in my in box. few times a week they will do 199 and up. I recently used it on 1660ti.

Its not just every saturday. Its everyday. If you registered for email promos you get it everyday. I get the everyday in my in box. few times a week they will do 199 and up. I recently used it on 1660ti.
So they just ignored the video card exclusion?

They only recently added Video Cards and Bare Processors to the exclusion list.

The original exclusions from a few weeks ago were: "*Coupon not valid for all Apple, Game Consoles, Point-of-Sale Activation or Gift Cards and some Sony, Bose, Samsung, Nike, LG, Tempur-Pedic or Go-Pro products. Coupon cannot be applied to prior purchases. Maximum discount of $1,000. Price Match Promise considered after discount is applied. Speak with a sales associate in store for further details on how to save money. Offer not available for Fry's Associates"

Now its: "*Coupon not valid for all Apple, Game Consoles, Video Cards, Bare Processors, Point-of-Sale Activation or Gift Cards and some Sony, Bose, Samsung, Nike, LG, Tempur-Pedic or Go-Pro products. Coupon cannot be applied to prior purchases. Maximum discount of $1,000. Price Match Promise considered after discount is applied. Speak with a sales associate in store for further details on how to save money. Offer not available for Fry's Associates."

Seriously, fuck frys. As cool as that store is, I have bad luck there with everything I buy.

I second that. Terrible stores, both Arlington & the Irving store. Never have shit in stock that I need and if it is, its too damn high. Also, whoever designed the planograms for these stores needs to be institutionalized.

I just wish Microcenter was closer, its quite a drive from where I live.

Yea. Even though the coupon says it, it really is up to the rep to discount it. There is no system block that sees it’s a video card and automatically blocks it. Reps have the power to discount anything by 20% and they attach it to the copy of quote and turn it in I guess. It was a one time thing but not sure how strict they are. I know people at the store. But I think If you buy a lot there and reps personally know you. Managers don’t really trip.

434C1127-F9F7-45C5-B915-1792A60AE1FD.jpeg
I was able to get in on the 20% off coupon deal a few weeks back (on a Friday) which was the 3rd consecutive day they had started doing this doorman codeword coupon. I was able to buy a projector, open box too so it was slightly discounted (luckily projectors have run timers, so I checked immediately after).

The coupon changed over time with the min limit going up $100 each day. I guess sale restriction brands changed too. At the time I had to choose between getting a projector or GTX 2060 because video cards were accepted.

Went into Frys right when they opened and asked the doorman if they had anymore of those coupons and he just gave it to me.

Yup, I've been getting these emails daily for a while now.

I'm hoping the Arlington store has the BenQ HT3550 on release day 3/25. But from the folks in this thread it sounds like most stores never have anything at all. :( It shows as being pickup-able on that date but perhaps that just means they'd ship it to that store and the date will change as the release gets nearer. No 20% off for me if that happens.

Man, I grew up with Fry's in the Los Angeles area. It was an effing event to go to the original Manhattan Beach location. I remember every friday trying to get the Business or Sports section of the LA times to read the Fry's Ad. Fry's is going to go the way of blockbuster and circuit city. It will dissapear. Their business practices suck. Their selection sucks. It's a shadow of it's former self, really sad.

Man, I grew up with Fry's in the Los Angeles area. It was an effing event to go to the original Manhattan Beach location. I remember every friday trying to get the Business or Sports section of the LA times to read the Fry's Ad. Fry's is going to go the way of blockbuster and circuit city. It will dissapear. Their business practices suck. Their selection sucks. It's a shadow of it's former self, really sad.

I know the one. On Sepulveda and... Rosecrans? Such a cramped location compared to the others (e.g. City of Industry).

I know, I always went to the one in Fountain Valley when I was in cali. Got a 2500k there on launch day. Went to the one up here in Oregon last weekend and yikes, when a mess. Busted up old cases, no AMD boards whatsoever, the whole place was just falling apart, no stock. I hate to see brink and mortars die but it probably won't take long.

I have to say this is a weird promotion. I mean in the sense 20% is a pretty big discount, and I think it will be short-lived, but you can get them every day from greeter, and each time I've asked her "do many people ask about this coupon?" She says "almost nobody".

Last time I was there I had the coupon and was scouring the store looking for something - anything - to buy that would bring my total to $200, and I just couldn't find something. Fry's has always been an oddball store - weird but nice employees, weird aesthetics and layouts, some aisles entirely barren (motherboard section has no motherboards), really random stuff in some aisles (exercise bikes next to a stack of lava lamps). Anyone that's been there knows what I mean.

A good deal, but not as good a deal as the coupon that lets you summon a customer service person who will help you find something. That one is pretty rare though. But not as rare as the power up coupon that raises the limit on cashiers during peak operating times, brings the total up to 3 (a 50% increase!).

And rarest of all, I really shouldn't even be telling you this. There is supposedly a coupon that allows you to actually get your mail in rebate. I personally think it's just a legend, but some people will swear they have a friend who read on a forum about person who got their mail-in rebate.

Good to know these aren't selling out. I was wondering how many were being used. When they first showed up, the $100 limit (maybe $200?) wasn't too bad.....but $400 is some serious cash for spontaneous purchases.

A good deal, but not as good a deal as the coupon that lets you summon a customer service person who will help you find something. That one is pretty rare though. But not as rare as the power up coupon that raises the limit on cashiers during peak operating times, brings the total up to 3 (a 50% increase!).

And rarest of all, I really shouldn't even be telling you this. There is supposedly a coupon that allows you to actually get your mail in rebate. I personally think it's just a legend, but some people will swear they have a friend who read on a forum about person who got their mail-in rebate.

The summon customer service rep coupon will automatically unlock if you shout "up up down down left right left right A B start!" in the store while hopping on one leg, patting your head, and rubbing your belly. They usually only show me the door though, might be a bug.

I know, I always went to the one in Fountain Valley when I was in cali. Got a 2500k there on launch day. Went to the one up here in Oregon last weekend and yikes, when a mess. Busted up old cases, no AMD boards whatsoever, the whole place was just falling apart, no stock. I hate to see brink and mortars die but it probably won't take long.
Yeah, it sucks watching stores die, I mean Fry's is nowhere close to what it used to be but once they're gone, and MC I'm sure will be gone .. And small computer stores gone, where will you get stuff in a jam... Not everything is same to 2 day on Amazon.. And less competition sucks

I went to Fry's recently in Austin, the employee even admitted to me that stock has been as issue (aside from just seeing it).

Yeah, it sucks watching stores die, I mean Fry's is nowhere close to what it used to be but once they're gone, and MC I'm sure will be gone .. And small computer stores gone, where will you get stuff in a jam... Not everything is same to 2 day on Amazon.. And less competition sucks

I went to Fry's recently in Austin, the employee even admitted to me that stock has been as issue (aside from just seeing it).
Yeah totally man. It does suck to see them die. I agree no competition doesn't help anyone.

Online stores used to have to be cheaper to entice people to wait for shipping. Not any longer.

I remember when the Fry's Electronics opened in Garland Texas. They ran full page ads in the Morning news. I would circle the items I wanted and was like a kid let loose in a candy store...... Blank CDs, Floppy DIscs, Hard drives, everything a computer geek could ever want..... Next Friday nite, same thing over again (if you didnt get there on Friday Nite, the GOOOD STUFF was already gone).... Sadly, online shopping has replaced this addictive behavior in me. I guess I grew up and the kid inside me is no longer alive......

Robert Jordan
Winnsboro Texas

I just picked up a 2x16gb 3200 corsair dominator platinum set and a 1TB 970 evo plus for 430+tax with that 20% off ($117 saved after tax).
Grabbing a board and CPU elsewhere as there is basically 0 CPU stock and the mobo selection is meh (nor do they sell EVGA's mobos, which I want for the warranty).

Last edited:
I was at Frys in San Marcos, CA recently. This photo doesn’t bode well for their future.

Attachments

• 8D3CA084-08E4-4C8C-A677-84DCF479BB76.jpeg
    8D3CA084-08E4-4C8C-A677-84DCF479BB76.jpeg
    461.4 KB · Views: 0
The Fry's in Garland/North Dallas has been largely empty for years (though I normally went on weekdays). The one in Plano generally had more people. I suspect a lot of people either order online or just go in, pick up what they ordered and move on. I don't recall Microcenter having many people either (though it was smaller than any Fry's I've been in.

I stop by during lunch daily, probably at least 20+ customers around the store, only Black Friday it's busy as hell.

Back