Fry's B&M motherboard clearance YMMV

pxc

Extremely [H]
Fry's stores in LA/OC and probably other areas have a new round of motherboard clearance prices. There's a lot of open box (and some plain boxed refurb) stuff so it might not appeal to many people.

I picked up another ECS P965T-A* (new) for $29.00 and an Abit AB9 Pro (refurb, P965) for $49.99. The refurb Abit boards only come with a 90 day warranty.

I saw some open box (with full warranty) boards marked down really cheap, much more than the usual 5% discount. There were about 15 or so different boards on clearance, almost all either S939 or LGA775 (many ECS, also Abit, Gigabyte, Intel, etc). I don't see any of the same deals on outpost.com.

* can do 1333MHz FSB from CMOS setup and I used to run mine with an E4300 @ 3GHz. 800MHz FSB CPUs need a pad mod to 1066MHz to make 1333MHz FSB work.

^-
This is correct, I was there just today and they had a huge stack of ECS boxes at clearance prices. :p

I was at frys like a week ago and they had a huge stack of both of the mobos mentioned in this thread for huge discounts. The best deal was the abit IP35-E for 47.40, I picked up two of them last week, but I dont know if they are still floating around so YMMV

I was at frys like a week ago and they had a huge stack of both of the mobos mentioned in this thread for huge discounts. The best deal was the abit IP35-E for 47.40, I picked up two of them last week, but I dont know if they are still floating around so YMMV

That's definitely the best deal. That's an awesome mobo for what it is....much better than the AB9.

The only IP35-e left around the LA area is in Burbank. City of Industry only has the AB9 left. The IP35 Pros are gone from all the stores.

bump

There has been another round of motherboard price cuts. The Abit IB9 is $30, several ECS LGA 775 boards were dropped to $5 and $10, more drops on other AM2 and S939 boards and the Abit AW9D-Max is marked down to $50.

wish there were frys in south florida

There is also a $15 socket 754 motherboard which you can add a 3000+ to for $25...pretty cheap for a secondary computer.

There is also a $15 socket 754 motherboard which you can add a 3000+ to for $25...pretty cheap for a secondary computer.
Yeah, I saw the NF3 board red clearance tag, but there were no motherboards left. IMO a better bang for the buck is a 945P board for $4.90 and a retail P4 541 (3.2GHz, w/HT) for $10. Sadly even a 945P motherboard has a better upgrade path than S754 since you can go to a Pentium D. And DDR2 memory is dirt cheap and a PCI-E slot is better to have than the AGP slot on the NF3 board. BTW, the Pentium D 805 if $20, and other faster Pentium D 9xx models are $40-$50 if any are in stock.

This brings back memories from a long time ago when Fry's would have a big clearance in January.

$15 for 945P & a 3.2GHz CPU? I may have to make the trek up to Sac to check that out. Was it the IL9 Pro 945P? That'll do Crossfire, and worked fine with an E6300 + X1950GT I built for my mom.

$15 for 945P & a 3.2GHz CPU? I may have to make the trek up to Sac to check that out. Was it the IL9 Pro 945P? That'll do Crossfire, and worked fine with an E6300 + X1950GT I built for my mom.
The $4.90 945P board is just the cheapie ECS 945P-A. It supposedly does support CF with 2 video card slots (x16 + x4), but does not support Core 2 CPUs. It's the original 945 chipset. The refresh is the version that supported Core 2.

I went by the Burbank store this morning looking for a deal on an Abit board, but no such luck.

I went by the Burbank store this morning looking for a deal on an Abit board, but no such luck.

So they're all gone (no IP35-E?). The fountain value still has some 965P Abit boards left, as of last night.

I didn't see any on the shelf and asked if they were having a clearance on any Abit boards, they didn't know what I was talking about. I was looking for an IP35-E in particular. Oh well, I might just pick up a DS3L open box on Newegg, they're going for $70.

I was looking for an IP35-E in particular.
Several of the boards have been on clearance for over a week. Most stores are probably picked clean of the best deals by now. All the Abit clearance boards were gone when I went last night.

There is still hope though. Fry's gets a steady trickle of customer and manufacturer returns. I'm going to check again on Saturday.

I work at frys,
And yeah, at my store at least, all the employees picked up this round of clearance stuff.

Usually happens once a quarter, right after inventory.

We find a bunch of "one left" stuff, so we change the price to basicly nothing.
Best was a Tyan Thunder Clearanced at 40 bucks.

Also, the Red PC&C Silencer went to $50.
So if you see one, on display or whatever, it's for sale, and it's $50.

Lets see, OH! inventory says the Striker Extreme went to $20!
Only one in the entire company though, lol.
qx9700 discontinued and clearanced to $200.

I'm gonna git found out and fired, hah.

Inventory was 4 weeks go or so for me. I printed off a list of every item on clearance at the store I work at and picked some stuff up today. Still waiting for the the last of the Opterons to drop to final clearance (the 242 dropped to $0.01 a few weeks ago). Too bad we don't have any of the old server boards. Only dual socket 771 and dual socket F.

Inventory was 4 weeks go or so for me. I printed off a list of every item on clearance at the store I work at and picked some stuff up today. Still waiting for the the last of the Opterons to drop to final clearance (the 242 dropped to $0.01 a few weeks ago).
Awesome. Mind dropping some hints on what is extremely cheap? :D

I went back today and got a new retail boxed AM2 3500+ for $15 and since no one seemed to want the last AW9D-Max for $47.50, I picked that up too.

Awesome. Mind dropping some hints on what is extremely cheap? :D

I went back today and got a new retail boxed AM2 3500+ for $15 and since no one seemed to want the last AW9D-Max for $47.50, I picked that up too.
Lets see...
3800+ 939 for $10
3200+ AM2 for $10
3000+ 754 for $25
3800+ x2 AM2 for $35
4600+ x 2 AM2 for $49
Asus P5W DH DLX for $70
You already know about all the other boards, so not much else worthwhile to list. There is a lot more, but this was just the stuff that I had listed on the printout. As always YMMV and don't forget that the employees have first pick!

:-/ all those things already had red clearance tags out at my local Fry's and most were sold out.
Just going by the list of stuff that my store still has...nothing else really stood out. :(

Back