Palo alto
Campbell
San jose
Sunnyville
Tempe
Fremont
Concord

Plano and sacremento barely have any left

Now I can not check stock for southeren california for they are a differnet district you will have to call your store and give them the plu 5851073

Yes I know it is only warm but other computers with this graphic card are 1000+ and often no blu ray. The 9600m gt not best graphic card but laptop is light for a 17inch unlike quosmios or sagers and decent battery life. Also 15 day return policy with no restocking fee.

Not bad, but I still can't fathom gaming laptops as you get poor battery life...they are usually quite heavy...etc. Still good though if you want a desktop replacement. Problem with that is a real desktop at that price will have much better graphics. For laptops I like the old thinkpad t4x series. Bye.

Not bad, but I still can't fathom gaming laptops as you get poor battery life...they are usually quite heavy...etc. Still good though if you want a desktop replacement. Problem with that is a real desktop at that price will have much better graphics. For laptops I like the old thinkpad t4x series. Bye.

Keep in mind that there are some people who wish to having a gaming pc, yet need to travel a lot. A gaming notebook fits those needs well :)

I know some people who use a netbook for mobility, and a gaming laptop for travel.

If your looking for laptops in this price range (refurbs) I would suggest checking the sony outlet store, they had laptops with the ati 3470, and blu-ray burners for around $800, and the screen is 16.4" so likely a bit less bulky then this one

If your looking for laptops in this price range (refurbs) I would suggest checking the sony outlet store, they had laptops with the ati 3470, and blu-ray burners for around $800, and the screen is 16.4" so likely a bit less bulky then this one

You miss out on the 10-key, lightscribe, and remote when you go Sony, though. And the 9600m with 512 dedicated is likely noticeably stronger than the 3470.

I do like the looks of those 16" Sony's though. They seem very solid, too. I've used both the 17" HP body and the 16" Sony body. I would be pretty happy with either one as a laptop. HP's customer service is probably a notch higher, whereas the build quality of the Sony might be a tad better, based on what we see come in for repairs the most at work and experience dealing with both companies.

To put a couple things in comparrison.

Weight for this model is 7.64 lbs with battery
The Toshiba Qosmio 17" weigh 9.2 lbs though it does come with the 9800m gts (which is actually slower than the 9800m gt don't ask me why it is backwards) though the cost is double. The Gateway FX 17" series have a similar 9lb weight.
Sager 17" laptops are going to weigh anywhere from 8 to 12 lbs

A 15" hp is going to weight about 5.8 lbs with the most recent generation
A 13" hp is going to weigh about 4.6 lbs with the most recent generation.

---

Unfortunately it is impossible to find battery life for most laptops, regardless battery life is highly correlated with how powerful the graphic card is, screen size, and to some extent processor. The bigger the screen and faster the graphic card the less power you are going to get. The 9600m gt is a 23 watt part while the 9800m gt is a 65 watt part.

To put it in perspective how fast a 9600m gt is to the desktop version compare it to the 9500 gt desktop which is essentially the same card but downclock a little.

9500 gt 32 shaders (g96 core) 550 mhz core clock, 1400 mhz shaders, 1600 mhz effect memory clock
9600m gt 32 shaders (g96 core) 500 mhz core clock, 1250 mhz shaders, 1600 mhz effect memory clock

Now the 9500gt is not a good card, but it can still play many of the current games with less eye candy and at a decent resolution (1440x900). The trade off for less eye candy is a laptop that is a lot cheaper, weighs a lot less, and gets a battery that is actually useful. In other words a laptop you may actually use and play games on occasionally while you have your gaming desktop at home.

---

and the ati 3470 is much slower.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9600M-GT.9449.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-3470.9594.0.html
9372 in 3dMark 05 vs 3947. Or check out the Fear and Crysis benchmarks that website provides.

I bought one of these for my son this passed xmas to replace his desktop and it is working out nicely. We saved his 22" monitor and bought a docking station to go with his new laptop. It works great for all of his gaming, and actually has really good battery life. He is only 12 though, so he doesn't do much travelling with it yet, but essentially this is a decent laptop for the money and features. I might get one myself just for travel gaming...

To put a couple things in comparrison.

Weight for this model is 7.64 lbs with battery
The Toshiba Qosmio 17" weigh 9.2 lbs though it does come with the 9800m gts (which is actually slower than the 9800m gt don't ask me why it is backwards) though the cost is double. The Gateway FX 17" series have a similar 9lb weight.
Sager 17" laptops are going to weigh anywhere from 8 to 12 lbs

A 15" hp is going to weight about 5.8 lbs with the most recent generation
A 13" hp is going to weigh about 4.6 lbs with the most recent generation.

---

Unfortunately it is impossible to find battery life for most laptops, regardless battery life is highly correlated with how powerful the graphic card is, screen size, and to some extent processor. The bigger the screen and faster the graphic card the less power you are going to get. The 9600m gt is a 23 watt part while the 9800m gt is a 65 watt part.

To put it in perspective how fast a 9600m gt is to the desktop version compare it to the 9500 gt desktop which is essentially the same card but downclock a little.

9500 gt 32 shaders (g96 core) 550 mhz core clock, 1400 mhz shaders, 1600 mhz effect memory clock
9600m gt 32 shaders (g96 core) 500 mhz core clock, 1250 mhz shaders, 1600 mhz effect memory clock

Now the 9500gt is not a good card, but it can still play many of the current games with less eye candy and at a decent resolution (1440x900). The trade off for less eye candy is a laptop that is a lot cheaper, weighs a lot less, and gets a battery that is actually useful. In other words a laptop you may actually use and play games on occasionally while you have your gaming desktop at home.

---

and the ati 3470 is much slower.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9600M-GT.9449.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-3470.9594.0.html
9372 in 3dMark 05 vs 3947. Or check out the Fear and Crysis benchmarks that website provides.

+1.

It also likely comes with a pretty solid 8 cell battery. My friend that has a 17" HP (I think with the 9600) gets 3 hrs on his. Different model number but very similar specs. He also upgraded the processor himself to something faster than the 2.0GHz one and still gets 3 hrs. in normal use (not gaming).

Back