Frustrated Father Accidentally Takes Down Town's Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially when more and more people forget or don't have hardwired lines anymone, except in businesses.
I can't remember the last time I seen a payphone anywhere, least a emergency call box, might be some on long spanning bridges.
I've literally gone looking for a payphone a couple years ago when I left my cell at home... I didn't find one, and had to borrow some guys cell phone.

I really doubt the guy was aware of what was going on. Especially if he only ran the device at night when it was time to go to bed. How would you know if your device was blocking signals from your neighbors unless you ran around town with your phone looking signal strength.

I doubt this guy was a major in computer science. This is a low tech solution where you just plug and play. I've been in this situation and my solution is to just block internet on the device itself after a certain time. This isn't hard to do. Password lock the phone after a certain time. The easiest solution was to block the devices when they're using wifi because nobody is going to turn off wifi and even if they do they don't have unlimited data. There are so many lazy solutions that don't require any money or jamming signals. Of course he could just go around and grab the devices but I can see how annoying this gets after a few days of doing this. Especially since your family will just attack you the moment you even suggest it.

This is my concern because this device sounds stupid easy and doesn't require any expertise to use it. It also seems to be super effective. Imagine if this effects wireless mice and keyboards? A number of home security devices are also wireless.
I definitely agree that a direct method is best. My main point was, one should not have to be a computer scientist to think to themselves "hmm, this thing I'm doing that I don't fully understand, I wonder if I should pause and make sure it's only going to affect the people I want it to affect?" IMHO that ought to be a pretty early thought when one is planning any sort of action that affects other people, regardless of one's tech level or if tech is even involved. But I'm getting dangerously close to cloud-yelling here :p

I don't remember there being a vast amount of suicides, shootings, murders, violence, etc. by youths 20 years ago en masse like what is going on right now; especially the suicides.
unfortunately I do remember a lot of that, tho my experiences may be more extreme than some. There were some pretty dark corners of the internet even back then, sometimes hiding in plain sight. I remember lots of murder / suicide fantasies and plans being posted online back then, seeing photos of dead bodies, and myself back then as a teenage girl on the 'net (internet females did exist even back then!) the kind of threats and propositions I'd get, yikes.... and I almost got lured across state lines in 2003 for God knows what kind of trafficking and another girl from my high school did get disappeared over internet stuff.

I've seen that comic going around about before and as someone who's Seen Some Shit On The Internet, it honestly catches me as a bit naive and tapping into the same general revisionism that likes to paint any time prior to 15 years ago (that being a rolling window) as this Golden Era of the Wholesome Nuclear Family which outside of a very small section of society, only actually ever existed in media depictions. The net and many of the youth / teens on it have been doing deranged stuff for as long as I can remember, and families were still expressing the same dysfunctional dynamics back then-just without phones in their hands. It's just way more visible now as being Extremely Online has become more. mainstream.

I agree the suicide thing is definitely gotten worse but like <gestures broadly at the state of the world> there's a lot of factors driving that, far from just more widespread social media engagement.

IDK maybe try parenting, rather than committing major violations of communications laws and whatever.
/thread

Last edited:
I've literally gone looking for a payphone a couple years ago when I left my cell at home... I didn't find one, and had to borrow some guys cell phone.
Figure phone companies would at least leave 1, if multiple of a group, and convert them into emergency call boxes, or still a payphone for those that have to reach someone if they have no other option.
IDK maybe try parenting, rather than committing major violations of communications laws and whatever.

Why not just take their devices away like a normal parent?
Parenting and normal are endangered species and a lost art.

unfortunately I do remember a lot of that, tho my experiences may be more extreme than some. There were some pretty dark corners of the internet even back then, sometimes hiding in plain sight. I remember lots of murder / suicide fantasies and plans being posted online back then, seeing photos of dead bodies, and myself back then as a teenage girl on the 'net (internet females did exist even back then!) the kind of threats and propositions I'd get, yikes.... and I almost got lured across state lines in 2003 for God knows what kind of trafficking and another girl from my high school did get disappeared over internet stuff.
I'm well aware, and had friends that were girls the same age as I was that year as well who were into computers, Internet, forums, etc. - I think it was more shocking to see girls into that stuff in the 1960s-1990s due to cultural norms of those time periods, but not so much post-2000.
We had nearly 20 people die that same year in high school, of which 3/4 were suicides and the rest accidental deaths.

Shit was going down even back then, but it was a drop in the bucket compared to what is happening now, and certainly globally.
I've seen that comic going around about before and as someone who's Seen Some Shit On The Internet, it honestly catches me as a bit naive and tapping into the same general revisionism that likes to paint any time prior to 15 years ago (that being a rolling window) as this Golden Era of the Wholesome Nuclear Family which outside of a very small section of society, only actually ever existed in media depictions. The net and many of the youth / teens on it have been doing deranged stuff for as long as I can remember, and families were still expressing the same dysfunctional dynamics back then-just without phones in their hands. It's just way more visible now as being Extremely Online has become more. mainstream.
It isn't revisionism, there was a clear difference back then compared to what is going on now compared to back then.
15 years ago was 2007, and 15 years before that was 1992.

There wasn't a massive difference between the way families and people operated between 1992 and 2007; differences were there, but they were minimal changes overall.
The difference between 2007 and 2022 is night and day, especially with smartphones, social media, IoT devices, cellular availability being added into the mix, not to mention everyone becoming slowly complacent with everything turning full 1984.

Maybe in comics it is a rolling window for the lulz, but in reality there are clear and vast differences between the way cultures operated in the late 2000s compared to what they are now in the present, and it isn't for the better.
I will give you the lack of parenting back then was still a thing, but it is en masse now with the younger generations now becoming parents and their lack of, or warped, values playing a large roll in all of this; this isn't exclusive to North America, it is definitely a global issue.

Valuing God shifted to Statism, valuing family shifted to self interests, and valuing country shifted to consumerism.
When that change happened, that's when this shift to darkness started... and the catalysts to this happening en masse were smartphones and social media.
I agree the suicide thing is definitely gotten worse but like <gestures broadly at the state of the world> there's a lot of factors driving that, far from just more widespread social media engagement.
Governments and megacorps are the largest driving factors of all of this.
Just remember, when something is free, you are the product.

Last edited:
I highly doubt they were browsing forums, using BBS systems, or email chains.
While you aren't incorrect, comparing those to modern social networks is hilarious, and especially so if you think those are what modern youth are into these days.

Since this isn't the 1980s or 1990s, this is more along the lines of what the youth in 2022 would be browsing unsupervised:

View attachment 446277

View attachment 446278

View attachment 446279

View attachment 446280

Oh yeah, these are totally like forums, BBS systems, and email chains... :whistle:
I remember when ugly people could be in the top 12 of youtube. Looks like looks matter even on the interwebs now.

I remember when ugly people could be in the top 12 of youtube. Looks like looks matter even on the interwebs now.
Shows you what society values - aesthetics over substance.
This isn't a new thing for any culture, but older people in cultures normally knew the difference between knowledge and the stupidity and easy manipulation of the youth, and said older people would normally pass that knowledge down.

That isn't happening any more, and in most cultures older people are now more stupid than young people.
Just look at what this idiot father did in this thread; should have known better, and should have just directly talked with and/or disciplined his kids like any sane parent would.

The only problem is, cultures aren't sane any more, and this is going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.
This is where plagues, famine, disasters, etc. bring people back to reality and back to valuing what really matters - God, family, and country.

Until that happens, prepare for an age of darkness and oppression brought upon us like no other, and the only mass opposition will be from those that do not oppose this dark future.
History repeats itself...

Last edited:
Can't wait till his kids start vaping. Is he going to build a giant EMP generator to prevent the vape from working just so he doesn't have to directly interact with his kids?

Or maybe when they start driving, he digs up the entire street so they cant leave in the middle of the night.

Great idea, would have never come up with that on my own. Was just going to nail the doors shut, but this sounds way more practical
Just gotta think of different ways to curb your kids behavior but it has to have an area of effect on the area you live in as well.

"Nuke the site from orbit, just to be sure."

I definitely agree that a direct method is best. My main point was, one should not have to be a computer scientist to think to themselves "hmm, this thing I'm doing that I don't fully understand, I wonder if I should pause and make sure it's only going to affect the people I want it to affect?" IMHO that ought to be a pretty early thought when one is planning any sort of action that affects other people, regardless of one's tech level or if tech is even involved. But I'm getting dangerously close to cloud-yelling here :p
If I stopped to think about something that I have no expertise in then I'd never get shit done. Last year I tore apart my engine to put a new cam and I have like zero experience doing it. I even started 3D printing and working with CAD to make parts for my cars which I've never done before. Do I fuck up? Yes but that's part of learning. Did this guy fuck up not realizing how effective his signal blocker was? Absolutely, but this is one of those situations where I have to ask where he got the thing? I know for a fact that some countries will absolutely look at packages and will deny items if they're dangerous, though who exactly thinks a wifi looking device can block cellar signals in a decently large area is not something most people will pick up on. To me it's like selling a radar detector and then finding out they're also illegal. Why was it allowed to be sold in the first place is my question? Why did it get through customs? What use does this device have other than breaking the law?

Call me crazy, but my feel on this is the father relied on the digital baby sitter too much. Kids get used to this from a young age and the habit becomes harder to break. Kids and foreseeing concequences don't go together so well.

And yeah should have just taken devices away. Hopefully lesson learned.

these things have been on craigslist forever. surprised they haven't been more of a problem. There's another class of dangerous items that can still be bought there as well. Kind of shocking how bad our governments are.

these things have been on craigslist forever. surprised they haven't been more of a problem. There's another class of dangerous items that can still be bought there as well. Kind of shocking how bad our governments are.
I think most people would prefer the government stay out of things like this. Creating a law is one thing. Paying govt employees to inspect packages to make sure there isn't a signal jammer in there? I'll keep my money thanks.
By your logic all our cars should be physically incapable of breaking the speed limit, then no one would speed ...

I think most people would prefer the government stay out of things like this. Creating a law is one thing. Paying govt employees to inspect packages to make sure there isn't a signal jammer in there? I'll keep my money thanks.
By your logic all our cars should be physically incapable of breaking the speed limit, then no one would speed ...

Eh not really what im saying. They have cracked down harder on much less. These things were readily available on every major list for years. It should be a LITTLE harder. And the other class of item im referring to is much more absurd. Like still having to take our shoes off at the airport is a huge joke in terms of relative risk.

Figure phone companies would at least leave 1, if multiple of a group, and convert them into emergency call boxes, or still a payphone for those that have to reach someone if they have no other option.
The phone companies removed every pay phone around Baltimore. All that is left is the skeletons. I seen phones booths in hospitals sitting empty. On recent year I have noticed that they have been removing all booths around the city. It is like they never existed now.

but it's the 2020's and adults should have a notion that radio waves don't necessarily stop at the front door.
That ol' [H] bias rearing it's head again, that or you are really giving people way too much credit. Case in point, hop on your phone how far from your home can you still pick up your wifi? I dunno about you but at the sidewalk I can't pick mine up anymore and I live in a house which is a few feet from the sidewalk, and while yes I do know it's there especially if I have a stronger antenna I could in detect it, but I'm also probably smarter than the average person (which isn't saying much), most people would assume that it's gone.

The ends never justify the means. Ignorance of the law cannot be a valid defense no matter the circumstances. Using a device that you don't fully understand should be an aggravating, not mitigating factor in punishment.
Ignorance of the law can not be a valid defense for the simple fact everyone would simply say "I didn't know". But this is why we have judges, they are the ones who ultimately get to ... judge... intentions. I'm not trying to defend the guy, but come on how is the average person supposed to know what every law is? And this is ultimately why laws should not have "minimum fines" or sentences associated to them except under the most harsh cases. If the dude just hopped on the France equivalent of Amazon and goes "well they sell it in a reputable store front, it can't be illegal can it?"

Nobody needs to be an expert on children to know that taking things away like every other normal parent has done since the dawn of parenting is better than ... whatever this was.

Except some kids are dummies, you could tell them not to be online and you can take away their devices a million times... They'll find new ones, they'll find ways to get online. Social media is a fundamental part of some kids lives, it's sad but that's where we are

I mean is there anything more obvious than 'take them away'? No. I can guarantee you everyone who's ever had a problem with a child having an addiction to screens or the internet has tried the take it away method. If it works, fine, if it doesn't and your kids resist, you need to keep working. If you're at the point where you're thinking signal jammer instead of turning off the wifi or something else straightforward, maybe it's because you're at the end of your rope

What are you gonna do if it's been years of fighting with your kids, trying to better them.. and you still have to police this shit on the daily. It's draining after awhile and creates unnecessary issues in a family. Maybe this was an extreme case and the kids were really on another level? I don't judge

Maybe this guy didn't give a shit about the internet or wifi or routers or parental controls or anything that any of us could have easily implemented. Maybe he couldn't understand it and had no one to help. Maybe he didn't have 2 hours to dedicate learning this shit or finding help because he was busy raising brats that won't listen to him in the first place.

Like I said, I don't judge. To be honest, I'd like to talk to him to find out more, what was he thinking

Except some kids are dummies, you could tell them not to be online and you can take away their devices a million times... They'll find new ones, they'll find ways to get online. Social media is a fundamental part of some kids lives, it's sad but that's where we are

I mean is there anything more obvious than 'take them away'? No. I can guarantee you everyone who's ever had a problem with a child having an addiction to screens or the internet has tried the take it away method. If it works, fine, if it doesn't and your kids resist, you need to keep working. If you're at the point where you're thinking signal jammer instead of turning off the wifi or something else straightforward, maybe it's because you're at the end of your rope

What are you gonna do if it's been years of fighting with your kids, trying to better them.. and you still have to police this shit on the daily. It's draining after awhile and creates unnecessary issues in a family. Maybe this was an extreme case and the kids were really on another level? I don't judge

Maybe this guy didn't give a shit about the internet or wifi or routers or parental controls or anything that any of us could have easily implemented. Maybe he couldn't understand it and had no one to help. Maybe he didn't have 2 hours to dedicate learning this shit or finding help because he was busy raising brats that won't listen to him in the first place.

Like I said, I don't judge. To be honest, I'd like to talk to him to find out more, what was he thinking
The problem is parents are huge weenies these days. And I'll say what I want, thanks.

The complexity of the solution is completely out of proportion to the problem. But that's how we solve problems in 2022. We make bigger ones. The simple and obvious solution would've been to physically remove the devices, which by this point has been mentioned a hundred times.

If there is a moral to this story, it is probably this:
  • Wires Rule
  • Don't do that
  • Contraception is underrated
  • Any combination of the above
  • [add your own]
Since this isn't the 1980s or 1990s, this is more along the lines of what the youth in 2022 would be browsing unsupervised:
It's pretty much impossible to overstate how far down the toilet modern society has gone. 🚽
What's frightening is that these [whatever they're called] aren't any more intelligible when read in their native language, whatever that might be. I've sent a few samples to research departments for analysis in hopes that they're able to identify this new dialect and ascertain its threat level before the infection becomes widespread. Mutant variants have already been observed in the wild... and they seam to be ketchuping to other ppl like totally fast like i mean really really fast if u no what i mean ! . lol just sayin bro... i got ur back yo no probs....
:cool:

I definitely agree that a direct method is best. My main point was, one should not have to be a computer scientist to think to themselves "hmm, this thing I'm doing that I don't fully understand, I wonder if I should pause and make sure it's only going to affect the people I want it to affect?"
Thinking is underrated! No one is omniscient, but it's reasonable to expect adults to have some awareness of their limitations. It's the ignorant people who know everything that one should fear the most, as they tend to do the most damage.
That's not an exaggeration. I'm glad you're okay, as I've seen first-hand what can happen when the "almost" is missing.
I've seen that comic going around about before and as someone who's Seen Some Shit On The Internet, it honestly catches me as a bit naive and tapping into the same general revisionism that likes to paint any time prior to 15 years ago (that being a rolling window) as this Golden Era of the Wholesome Nuclear Family which outside of a very small section of society, only actually ever existed in media depictions.

The net and many of the youth / teens on it have been doing deranged stuff for as long as I can remember, and families were still expressing the same dysfunctional dynamics back then-just without phones in their hands. It's just way more visible now as being Extremely Online has become more. mainstream.
That last bit is important. The use of social media has increased in both scope and magnitude, which has had a number of effects, and one of those has been to make our own reflection more visible — you're right. It allows us see how broken we already were in many ways. An important thing that we've lost is the "off" button.
You make some good points, and I agree with many of them. I see social media as a symptom as much as a cause of our diseased culture. The roots are deeply embedded in humanity, I'm afraid. Humanity never ceases to disappointment... Occasionally there are pleasant surprises. :)

Not again! I've exceeded my daily cynicism quota. Hate it when that happens! ;)

Last edited:
unfortunately I do remember a lot of that, tho my experiences may be more extreme than some.
Not so extreme, sadly.
I'll just say the BBS scene of the 80s and part of the 90s was great. Small local communities with aggressive policing. You harass a member - dudes are getting in a pickup truck for a visit.
Has a dark side for sure, but from my tiny lens, way more upside.

I've seen that comic going around about before and as someone who's Seen Some Shit On The Internet, it honestly catches me as a bit naive and tapping into the same general revisionism that likes to paint any time prior to 15 years ago (that being a rolling window) as this Golden Era of the Wholesome Nuclear Family which outside of a very small section of society, only actually ever existed in media depictions.
One very big difference is a lack of involvement which is more pervasive now, in my experience.
I can't tell you how many parent meetings I've been to where parents describe all sorts of problems with unrestricted internet access for young people, then literally smile and say "what can you do?"

They rarely like that I have a list of things they could do.

A lot of parents are very round-about these days. They are afraid to take away freedoms or punish their child so they will engage in creative solutions to their parenting problems. Back in the day kids had to worry about physical threats from their parents if they misbehaved so egregiously. Nowadays you can get your parent in trouble if they call you by a gender you might not be "feeling" in that particular moment.

The war that many parents have with their kids doesn't reflect on them as much as it reflects on the society they're forced to raise them in. Technology, if anything, has been a detriment to many parents. I'm surprised more parents don't do this kind of thing. Insane societies call for insane solutions.

A lot of parents are very round-about these days. They are afraid to take away freedoms or punish their child so they will engage in creative solutions to their parenting problems. Back in the day kids had to worry about physical threats from their parents if they misbehaved so egregiously. Nowadays you can get your parent in trouble if they call you by a gender you might not be "feeling" in that particular moment.

The war that many parents have with their kids doesn't reflect on them as much as it reflects on the society they're forced to raise them in. Technology, if anything, has been a detriment to many parents. I'm surprised more parents don't do this kind of thing. Insane societies call for insane solutions.
I don't want to get too political with this, but everything you just described is what leftist parties and nations are pushing, which is by design.
Socialism (State is the parent) and Corporatism (social media is the babysitter) - insane societies and cultures, indeed.

You'd think it'd be easier .. and cheaper .. to just take the phone away from his kids? .. but I digress

I work at a jail with about 500 inmates... we house for all agencies local and surrounding. But it amazes me when we get someone brought in and after we finish processing them they get on the phone to call mom or dad and start cussing their parent(s) out telling them .. demanding them... to get the "F" down there NOW! and bond them the "F" out!!!111 .. and lo and behold .. not too much longer, there's mom or dad at our front window to bond their little angel out ..

It's like parents are afraid to directly confront their own children and resort to scheme's of sorts to "I'll Show Them!", instead of just directly confronting their offspring and taking the phones away .. or just letting them sit in jail

I don't want to get too political with this,
LoL love how this post starts out, reminds me of someone who says "I don't want to sound racist but... " (and no I'm not calling you a racist, but yes you just dove feet first into getting political about it).

Back in the day kids had to worry about physical threats from their parents if they misbehaved so egregiously.
Yeah, too bad we can't turn back the clock and threaten bodily injury often followed up with a leather strap or branch off a tree for something so egregious as not wanting to get off the phone! </sarcasm>

LoL love how this post starts out, reminds me of someone who says "I don't want to sound racist but... " (and no I'm not calling you a racist, but yes you just dove feet first into getting political about it).

Yeah, too bad we can't turn back the clock and threaten bodily injury often followed up with a leather strap or branch off a tree for something so egregious as not wanting to get off the phone! </sarcasm>
It'd be for not doing to what you were told to do by your parents, the ones who may have given the phone to you in the first place, but who surely gave you a home to live in and food to eat...at least, if they weren't neglecting you or starving themselves already. For something as petty as "gotta check my fb/instagram" or, "the lastest vid on this yt channel is out" it's okay to ignore what your parents tell you to do, I guess.

This is basically what the FCC had to deal with back when pirate radio stations were a thing. Except this guy did it at home (with all cell bands blasting noise) where it'd be pretty easy to detect offending signals driving by with a meter. In this case it's def a parenting thing and should have been dealt as such before it escalated to federal fines.

I can't say I didn't think the same thing about jamming in the early days of cell phones and driving in big city traffic. Being able to turn off someones cell phone while they were driving slow in the fast lane sounded fun. I was youngish and didn't gaf or know about fcc rules but luckily the units were too expensive for the fun generated. haha gun's were cheaper, esp in Texas

"Everything before the word 'but' is horse shit" -Jon Snow

It'd be for not doing to what you were told to do by your parents, the ones who may have given the phone to you in the first place, but who surely gave you a home to live in and food to eat...at least, if they weren't neglecting you or starving themselves already. For something as petty as "gotta check my fb/instagram" or, "the lastest vid on this yt channel is out" it's okay to ignore what your parents tell you to do, I guess.

Yes because causing psychological scars is totally appropriate. If you can’t parent without beating your child you’re a failure.

Yes because causing psychological scars is totally appropriate. If you can’t parent without beating your child you’re a failure.
Guess cats and dogs are failures, too. Some psychological scars can help you in the future. It's called learning. As long as you aren't beating your child black and blue or molesting them, some physical correction is okay. If you have to do it constantly or go to extremes, you should re-evaluate your methods, obviously. It doesn't work in every case for every person.

Edit: I should add, like with dogs, it often doesn't have to be severe. Some kids overreact to bumping their knees on cushioned seats, even, so a light tap with your hand is often all that is necessary. Just have to make sure you don't do it playfully too often or it won't be effective for long.

Last edited:
Guess cats and dogs are failures, too. Some psychological scars can help you in the future. It's called learning. As long as you aren't beating your child black and blue or molesting them, some physical correction is okay. If you have to do it constantly or go to extremes, you should re-evaluate your methods, obviously. It doesn't work in every case for every person.

Edit: I should add, like with dogs, it often doesn't have to be severe. Some kids overreact to bumping their knees on cushioned seats, even, so a light tap with your hand is often all that is necessary. Just have to make sure you don't do it playfully too often or it won't be effective for long.
People are not cats and dogs. And no, animals shouldn’t be hit either. Took me 3 years to get my rescue dog to stop shivering out of fear when I pet him. Animals get traumatized as well. When the person you love and trust more than anything in the world hits you, it betrays that trust and replaces it with fear. Speaking from experience … do something else.

People are not cats and dogs. And no, animals shouldn’t be hit either. Took me 3 years to get my rescue dog to stop shivering out of fear when I pet him. Animals get traumatized as well. When the person you love and trust more than anything in the world hits you, it betrays that trust and replaces it with fear. Speaking from experience … do something else.
We got rescue kittens and one of them if you move your hand too fast she cowers. Has gotten better over a couple years but now and then i cause her to hide unintentionally.

I remember being forced to eat lima beans as a kid, the taste then as now causes a gag and throw up reaction it is so foul tasting to me. I sat at the table crying and swallowing them like pills with a glass of milk just to slowly get through them. Rule was you finish your dinner. There is nothing in that teaching that was of any benefit to me in my life other than it showed me something never to do to my kids.

The problem with physical abuse for punishment is it doesnt teach the correct lesson. You teach that abuse is result of not following a rule, instead of learning why the rule should exist. And blacking out a cell phone signal is just taking pleasure in knowing a trick they don't know and again what is the lesson being taught?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back