Frustrated. Computer hangs at 'Detecting IDE Drives", HDD's disappear, etc..

zawada101

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, i have been having very frustrating computer problems recently.
First heres my specs:

CPU: Intel Q6600
MoBo: Abit IP35-Pro
PSU: Corsair 620HX
Vid: EVGA Geforce8800GTS
Memory: Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 DDR2 2x1GB

Ive been having alot of problems with my harddrives. I run 1 IDE drive with my windows partition on it, and then i also have 5 SATA drives hooked up to the onboard SATA connection to the motherboard. All has been going well, then my WD 1TB drive starting ramdomly disconnecting in windows, and then one of my WD 500GB started doing the same thing. I thought it was a loose connection, but it doesnt seem to be the case.

When i restart the BIOS will *sometimes* detect all my harddrives, and then boot, only to have them disappear in windows. But now when i boot it seems to hang on "detecting IDE devices" for about 5 mins, then boot into windows, and finally load everything in 15 mins. It has never taken that long to load until recently.

I have no idea what is going on, i reconnecting all the cables, ran memtest86 with no errors, tried booting with just 1 ram stick installed, updated all the drivers i could think of, as well as the bios. But nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, it seems that my hdd indicator light is always solid, like its working indefinitely, even thought my pc is idle.

First thing I would do is download and run your HDs manfgs "test disks".

If no joy, I'd start replacing HD cables.

Check Windows event viewer for errors?

In addition to Old Hippie's suggestions, reset CMOS and see what happens. Also try booting with only one hard drive.

Starting to sound like a mobo problem though.

Well after alot of harddrive shuffling, it turns out one of my sata drives is screwy. Im gonna try a different cable with it and see how that goes, at least i know what the problem is. I almost ran out and bought a new motherboard...

thanks all

Back