FrozenCPU Shuts Its Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardOCP News

[H] News
A word of caution to anyone that was planning on making a purchase from FrozenCPU, word has it that the company has fired all its employees and is closing down. We have reached out to the owner for comment but have not gotten any reply at this time.

The owner has struggled a long battle with addiction, and events that unfolded earlier last week have rendered the company unoperational and shut down for good. Physical damage of the warehouse has occurred as well as the dismissal of all support and warehouse staff; the company has no plans of re-establishing themselves.

EDIT: We just heard back from Mark Friga, the owner of FrozenCPU.com, a long time enthusiast community supplier, and he explained to me that FrozenCPU is in fact not going out of business as rumored earlier today. He said that FrozenCPU is currently running a skeleton crew and to please bare with his company while the it is ramping back up to 100% employee capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it a little premature to post something like this? Compelling gossip, but this is just an unsubstantiated forum post....

On the plus side, if they shut down we're going to see a lot of WC parts inventory show up for cheap if it gets auctioned off.

Isn't it a little premature to post something like this? Compelling gossip, but this is just an unsubstantiated forum post....

Yup...we should all keep it to ourselves. A forum in no place for news or gossip.

When I made my last big watercooling purchase, it was mostly through FrozenCPU. When I needed little parts for mods, it was mostly through FrozenCPU. Hell, when I was doing research, a lot of it was adding items to a FrozenCPU cart, wondering if it would all work, and then swapping out bits and pieces. FrozenCPU's been a heck of a resource for me. If the rumors are true, it's a loss to us all.

From multiple posts in the thread at the other place:

1 - Overnight orders were never shipped/delivered
2 - Attempted Returns were shipped back to the customer
3 - People in the business next door state no cars present, no lights on, and state "place looks closed"

Shit. That place is 20 minutes from me. It was always convenient to run for emergency stuff.

They are trying to warn people about this in the event it is true. A simple attempt on your part will let you see if you can get ahold of somebody. If not and you can't after trying a few times then it is safe to assume it is true. If not true then you can just inform the person you heard a rumor and were checking to see if t was true.

It is better to warn people before they place orders and have their cards processed only to get nothing.

Shit. That place is 20 minutes from me. It was always convenient to run for emergency stuff.

We need pictures!

That sucks that they closed. It's been a while since my last order but they had and awesome selection of hard to find parts.

wow, if this is true thats really sad.

it's been heartbreaking watching all the small mod shops close up realizing that that era of pc enthusiast is on its way out. so many of the mod companies are either gone or have very tiny inventories nowadays.

that said i admittedly only shopped at frozencpu when they had something nowhere else did because they reamed hard on shipping.

That would be unfortunate. My last WC build they shipped me the wrong part and overnighted me the right one the next day FOC. Didn't even have to return the first part.

I'm also super bummed. they were one of the best resources for tracking down and comparing liquid cooling components.

Dang that sucks. I got a nice waterblock from them and coolant just last year. I always liked browsing their site.

:'(

sad day. only place to get that kind of selection at reasonable prices...plus excellent service.

Well no shit? Sell your stuff for more than anyone else and no one will buy anything.

Bummer. I was just looking at their site the other day for some fans/releated stuff.

A sad day. When I built my first WHS, I bought the case and most of the cooling supplies from them. They had what I needed for the 15+ HDD beast!

This got me thinking about monarch computers and when they went under. I just looked up that time frame, late 2005! My how time flies...

:(

I liked that site, ordered pretty much everything that was watercooling related there.

CrazyPC, gone. FrozenCPU, gone. Pimprig/PCApex, gone.

Man - what's left? I have a whole trunk full of old watercooling stuff I hauled around the world, including a peltier cooler and secondary power supply... first time I ever saw sub-freezing temperatures :D Haven't messed with it in years since most of my builds are just workhorse stuff now, but my kid started to get interested in building/modding... back to homebrew craziness I guess.

CrazyPC, gone. FrozenCPU, gone. Pimprig/PCApex, gone.

Man - what's left? I have a whole trunk full of old watercooling stuff I hauled around the world, including a peltier cooler and secondary power supply... first time I ever saw sub-freezing temperatures :D Haven't messed with it in years since most of my builds are just workhorse stuff now, but my kid started to get interested in building/modding... back to homebrew craziness I guess.

Performance-pcs.com is still up. But their website redesign in the past few months is a huge PITA. I've heard stories on some customer service issues with them, but I have never confirmed anything since all of my orders have been fine.

Well that sucks. I have ordered a lot of stuff from them. Hope performance pc doesn't die off also, not sure where I'll get my water cooling stuff if they do.

Well that sucks. I have ordered a lot of stuff from them. Hope performance pc doesn't die off also, not sure where I'll get my water cooling stuff if they do.

You young whippersnappers will just have to do what we old-timers did back in the day.

Use heater cores, oil coolers, A/C evaporators and radiators from vehicles.

As for the water blocks, you will have to make them yourself.

Fish tank filter pumps worked great for pumping a high volume of water. and if you get real fancy, you can get an external canister type that also works as the reservoir.

You young-ins are all spoiled. :D

I've had sidewinder suggested to me over FrozenCPU about a year and a half ago.

You young whippersnappers will just have to do what we old-timers did back in the day.

Use heater cores, oil coolers, A/C evaporators and radiators from vehicles.

As for the water blocks, you will have to make them yourself.

Fish tank filter pumps worked great for pumping a high volume of water. and if you get real fancy, you can get an external canister type that also works as the reservoir.

You young-ins are all spoiled. :D

Edit. I meant A/C condensers.

Performance-pcs.com is still up. But their website redesign in the past few months is a huge PITA. I've heard stories on some customer service issues with them, but I have never confirmed anything since all of my orders have been fine.

Same here.
Never a screw up.

Also not a fan of new website but hey... at least they're still around.

They charge a 25 or 30% restocking fee for unopened WC parts, which IMO is bullshit.

Didn't they switch owners years ago? Thought I remembered something that someone bought them.

Sucks, bought alot of stuff back in the day along with CrazyPC.

well this is terrible news. cant imagine the owners condition to not at least sell it off.

A sad day indeed. I've bought plenty of mod stuff from them (colored rivets!), and was just about to make another purchase, as they seem to be the only place that carried (and regularly restocks) Lian Li case parts and accessories.

I also remember when the original (and awesome) Xoxide shut down, and it looks like MDPC (the non-sleeving part) is gone, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back