Froyo for HTC Incredible today?

whisper

Limp Gawd
So, starting around 9:30 this morning my HTC Incredible has been downloading something almost continuously. At least that's my assumption based on the little "3G" activity indicator which has been lit up all day. As we all know, the Incredible battery is not so incredible and my phone actually went dead by around 11 am. I had to plug in the charger and now it's been on my desk, and the activity has resumed. The back panel of the phone is also very hot indicating that it's been chugging away at something most of the day.

I heard rumors of VZW rolling out Froyo for the Incredible on 8/18 but I'm wondering, could it be happening today? Would it normally take many hours to complete the OTA update? If this is not it, then I might have a serious problem as my phone is clearly up to something without my knowledge:eek:

Supposed to be tomorrow (8/18)
My phone hasn't been having any unusual activity today.

Mine has been normal and the update isn't supposed to start rolling out until tomorrow.

Hmm, yeah I looked around on VZW and HTC forums and couldn't find any other examples of this. Not sure what to make of it, but shortly after my original post the activity stopped and it's been normal ever since. No notification of an update, and after rebooting it's the same as it was before. For all I know, maybe they push out files in advance to certain units and then just "activate" all of them simultaneously on the roll out date. That would make sense but if true, it's lousy that there's no notification.

Incidentally, poking around on the HTC forums there are strong rumors that the roll out is not going to happen tomorrow after all. Who knows though - nobody really knows until it actually happens.

You Incredible guys, let us know if that Froyo update actually happens today. I've done some googling but have seen nothing so far. :(

That guy's ctrl + V buttons must be worn out by now.

Edit:

So... no update on the 18th after all. :(

Last edited:
Verizon deploys these in waves, and the first wave is usually small so just be patient. Or just get the newest leak off of the XDA forums. I'm 99% sure it's the same as the official OTA.

Well I bought mine the day it came out so I believe I should get preference!!! I think it's dick that you have to wait to be allowed to get the update, instead of just hitting 'Update' in your phone.

Curious if anyone knows the answer to this one. Do they just send the update out during business hours or is it 24/7 till everyone is updated? :)

It's not strictly business hours, but there may be a day or so in between rollouts. You can get it any time of the day/night.

My dad got his Incredible Froyo update late Saturday afternoon. Not me, yet. :mad:

For those that have it, how is it? Been waiting for mine, but I roam where I live. Verizon on their site says to turn on the wifi, which I have, but nothing yet.

Not me yet, though I have found in the last week my battery life has been extended quite a bit. I used to only be able to get about a day out of it (12 actual hours or so), but now I can go 39 - 40 hours without it dying. Hope Froyo improves that even more... ;)

Don't wanna wait?

First, make sure in Settings > About Phone > Software Information it says 1.22.605.2 for your Software Version... if it says 1.22.605.0 don't use this just yet. Also, if you've modified anything from your 2.1 install (like removed City ID, etc) don't run this. You need to be stock.

If you're rooted don't apply this.

Download this: http://android.clients.google.com/p...on_WWE_3.21.605.1_1.22.605.2_release_sign.zip

1. Rename it to update.zip and place it on the root of your SD card.
2. Power down the phone.
3. Hold power and the volume down key until you get into the hboot menu with a bunch of options. It will check for a few files that you shouldn't have on your SD card.
4. After it checks for the files, scroll down to "recovery" with the volume rocker and hit power. You should see an exclamation point with a triangle around it.
5. Hold volume up and hit power again, this will get you in the recovery partition.
6. Choose to apply update.zip with the volume rocker and power again.
7. Let it do it's thing. The first boot might take awhile, don't turn off the phone/pull the battery.
8. Enjoy.

I'm not responsible if you mess any of this up and damage your phone, but it's straightforward so don't worry too much. Right now there is no way to root if you've updated, but I don't think HTC has blocked the root exploit so Unrevoked will probably release an update for those on stock 2.2. If you think you might want root, you should root now and then download a rooted 2.2 ROM.

I removed City ID and several other items, but still have the 605.2 version. Guess I still have to wait, huh?

The 3 friends I have in SF that have incredibles all said they god their updates today...just a heads up :)

I'M UPDATING MINE RIGHT NOW AS WE SPEAK

I got the notification right after getting pissed off that my phone wasn't getting a signal. I wonder if it cuts off your phone while it downloads the update. I was trying to get into the Android Market and it kept failing to get a connection. Then shortly later it's like DUR UPDATE TIME

Mine updated this morning! I didn't have wi-fi running or anything, just looked down at random and it was asking me to update now. I just barely have 3G signal in my work building, and it still downloaded fairly fast - think the whole update process took a little over 5 minutes.

I haven't really noticed anything different yet except my system-settings widgets have new icons, and I now have a 3G hot-spot option that I can't use 'cause I refuse to pay VZ for that privilege atm.

Going to try out some other stuff when I'm home tonight - dying to see what I can do with full flash support. :D

Edit 1) I just got a call and noticed the Droid character in the background is now in 3D :D ...so that would be the second new thing I've noticed... yay...

will probably keep adding new stuff here as I notice it...

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed a speed improvement? I seem to have a little chopiness going in and out of texting and playing around the home screen. Not sure if this is my text app (Handscent) being laggy or not becuase I'm typing this in the Dolphin browser on my phone and its working just fine. Maybe it's just me, but has anyone noticed a speed difference?

Has anyone noticed a speed improvement? I seem to have a little chopiness going in and out of texting and playing around the home screen. Not sure if this is my text app (Handscent) being laggy or not becuase I'm typing this in the Dolphin browser on my phone and its working just fine. Maybe it's just me, but has anyone noticed a speed difference?
Mine seems snappier than before. Nothing earthshaking, but there's a noticeable improvement in speed.

Just got froyo 30 seconds ago!!!!!!!

omg MY LIFE IS COMPLETEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the Droid splash screen, much better than the old Verizon one IMO.

Back