front door videocam recommendations?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I need to install a videocam for my front door entrance area, but have no familiarity with brands, key features, gotchas, etc. Suggestions welcomed!!

I went cheap, I'm using a bunch of Eufy 2k cams - no, not the ones rated for outside - for front door, back door, side yard, and all of my fishtanks. I also have them set up as IPTV cameras through RTSP streaming so I can view them on twitch. (Mostly for the fishtanks, which make excellent "away" backgrounds.)
Picture is great, app is easy to setup and far less intrusive than some other ones. Great night vision, and the people/animal detection algorithms are pretty fucking great if you want notifications whenever they see someone. I'm happy with em.

These ones. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GZDR9NK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (They were a little cheaper when I got all 5 of mine, around $25 each.)

I tried Wyze, which was cheaper and the app SUCKED in comparison, and the lack of RTSP made me give em up. I also don't care about homekit integration or anything like that.

I also don't want to pay for a subscription service.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just be sure to deny Internet access to whatever chinese backdoor camera you get (they're all chinese)...

The Ubiquiti G4 doorbell cams are pretty sweet. You'll need a small computer or something to use for the NVR.

I went cheap, I'm using a bunch of Eufy 2k cams - no, not the ones rated for outside - for front door, back door, side yard, and all of my fishtanks. I also have them set up as IPTV cameras through RTSP streaming so I can view them on twitch. (Mostly for the fishtanks, which make excellent "away" backgrounds.)
Picture is great, app is easy to setup and far less intrusive than some other ones. Great night vision, and the people/animal detection algorithms are pretty fucking great if you want notifications whenever they see someone. I'm happy with em.

These ones. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GZDR9NK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (They were a little cheaper when I got all 5 of mine, around $25 each.)

I tried Wyze, which was cheaper and the app SUCKED in comparison, and the lack of RTSP made me give em up. I also don't care about homekit integration or anything like that.

I need an outdoor camera.

Agree about the homekit. And I also don't want to pay for a subscription. I just need something so I can check the front door area for packages and such when I'm away, even though I'm careful not to ordere anything when I know I'll be out of town. Or even an overstuffed mailbox even though I always suspend my mail deliveries. I think some guys just walk around a neighborhood and stuff big flyers in your mailbox.

Just be sure to deny Internet access to whatever chinese backdoor camera you get (they're all chinese)...
How can you do that if you need to view your camera remotely, over the Internet?

The Ubiquiti G4 doorbell cams are pretty sweet. You'll need a small computer or something to use for the NVR.
A doorbell camera won't show my mailbox or the area where packages are usually left.

I need an outdoor camera.

Agree about the homekit. And I also don't want to pay for a subscription. I just need something so I can check the front door area for packages and such when I'm away, even though I'm careful not to ordere anything when I know I'll be out of town. Or even an overstuffed mailbox even though I always suspend my mail deliveries. I think some guys just walk around a neighborhood and stuff big flyers in your mailbox.
There's all sorts of outdoor versions but they cost a lot more. Basically the same hardware but weatherproofed and with a battery pack. Some of them are powered by solar and that's pretty neat.

As for privacy, I gave up on privacy of anything involving my internet years ago.

There's all sorts of outdoor versions but they cost a lot more. Basically the same hardware but weatherproofed and with a battery pack. Some of them are powered by solar and that's pretty neat.

As for privacy, I gave up on privacy of anything involving my internet years ago.
I accept the fact that an outdoor version will cost more. But that's what I need, and there are times you just have to Pay The Man.

A doorbell camera won't show my mailbox or the area where packages are usually left.

G3 Flex perhaps. Great price, I have several of them around the house. They have a recessed mounting kit for mounting into a soffet so it really keeps it minimally visible

Been running an Arlo setup for years...been really happy with them. Batteries last about a month on them before needing to be recharged.

Been running an Arlo setup for years...been really happy with them. Batteries last about a month on them before needing to be recharged.
Only a month? Not a year, or more? What if you are away for more than a month???

There is firmware for the Wyze cams that make them compatible with RTSP. I have 8 of them running as IP cams with no issue. 2 are outdoors, covered but have lasted a few years in the elements.

When I tried the Wyze cameras the RTSP firmware was still in a beta state and I had incredible difficulty getting it to work. Ipersonally felt the small price and increase to go with the Eufy models made sense for me. Looks like the Eufys are more expensive now than they were when I got em though. I think I paid $24 each.

Only a month? Not a year, or more? What if you are away for more than a month???

I have them mounted on my house and well I'm normally not away for months on end either. Sounds like you need a hardwired setup. I use Wifi and batteries for mine and it does what I need it to do.

When I tried the Wyze cameras the RTSP firmware was still in a beta state and I had incredible difficulty getting it to work. Ipersonally felt the small price and increase to go with the Eufy models made sense for me. Looks like the Eufys are more expensive now than they were when I got em though. I think I paid $24 each.
Yes it’s “beta” firmware but maybe I was lucky. I had no issue updating firmware and setting them up with Blue Iris.

Back