From X58 to X79 or Z87?

Schtask

Limp Gawd
I've got an evga X58 board with a 920 cpu that is starting to feel a bit dated. I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade, but I'm having trouble deciding on what my best course of action would be....you see....I just recently switched from a radeon 5970 to two GTX 780s. I plan on adding a third at some point, as I game and do CAD work at 5760x1200 reso..

So the question remains....... Do I go ahead and get an X79 board now, enjoy the 40 pcie lanes and swap out the chip when Ivy-E arrives? Do I get an Z87 board and hope that the 16 available pci lanes don't bottleneck my cards? Do I just stick it out, put more ram in my X58 and hope for a board refresh in X79 for Ivy E?

Decisions, decisions....any help is greatly appreciated.

Taking your question and considering if it was my money, my situation and my route to excellence?

x79. You're already on the enthusiast / professional platform that Intel offered for the previous iteration. You are a CAD user with multi GPUs, yah, I would definitely go x79.

Taking your question and considering if it was my money, my situation and my route to excellence?

x79. You're already on the enthusiast / professional platform that Intel offered for the previous iteration. You are a CAD user with multi GPUs, yah, I would definitely go x79.

+1 The extra PCI lanes will help and you won't feel right going from the enthusiast platform from before and going to the mainstream platform now.

Another vote for x79!

That's what I have and use daily for my PC. Mine was more of a budget build (specs in sig) but you can really go all out with a platform like the x79.

I guess if you're going to go with 3 vid cards I'd have to vote for "extra PCIe lanes" in X79 as well.

Does adding more GPUs beyond 2 really help CAD that noticeably? In terms of render times, I guess? I'm honestly not familiar with the CAD world. The last time I did CAD, it was an ancient version of AutoCAD, running on a Pentium (90 MHz) system, with all of 4 MB system RAM, and an ATI card having maybe 2 MB video RAM, if I recall correctly.

The 3rd 780 would be more of a creature comfort. Solidworks and Sketchup both run fine on a single 780. Shoot....They run decently on a GTX280. The real concern comes into play with a program called Lightyear, which slices up cad files into what's called a .stl file, so that a 3D printer can build from it. Even still.....A single card will get that done, no problem.

The third card will be mostly just a creature comfort. I game at a very high resolution (5760x1200), and would like to be able to keep all the eye candies on in future titles at that res.

My buddies all play consoles.....so.....whenever they come over I like to stick my computer in their faces and say "see what you are missing you idiots". Yesterday I had to argue that the Xbox One would be no where near the capabilities of a PC from 3 years ago, let alone today. Yeah....that's what I get to deal with.

I am in the same situation minus the two 780s, but will be waiting it out another year for the next processors.

I'm an x58 guy waiting too (see SIG).

Rumors of 8+ core intels coming.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Haswell-Ivy-Sandy-Xeon,20756.html

And before someone says "but that's just for Xeon...", spend the whole 3 minutes it takes to read the entire article.

Old rumor. Ivy Bridge-E isn't going to get more than 6-cores. Instead it will get a die shrink, PCIe 3.0 certification, and 1866MHz memory support.

http://www.techpowerup.com/185643/i...ge-e-and-core-i3-haswell-series-detailed.html

Hopefully they bring out some new x79 boards with the chip. The older ones seem lacking. 3 usb 3.0 ports, 3 sata 6gb ports and some headers? Come on.....

I too am on the X58 with a 920. I was waiting for haswell, but with lackluster reviews, guess i'll wait until christmas time to see if IB-E pans out

Wait it out another year for Haswell-E. It'll have an 8-core part. That's what I am doing anyway.

Back